When do you call a vet for a kitten?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got numbers on all my kitties now. All of them have gained more than 10 grams since yesterday, except 1. She's actually lost 1.

I read that some kittens might possibly lose weight one day and not to worry. So should I just check her again tomorrow and if she's still light take her to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah she's noticeably smaller and was small to begin with. she acts frisky and active so i don't THINK we have a problem.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They can sometimes lose a little bit in the first few days following delivery. Just keep a close eye on her and make sure that belly stays good and tightly rounded, not at all saggy or wrinkled. If memory serves, you have 7 kittens, right? With such a large litter, it might be that you should supplement a little to give Momma a break. That is a lot of work for her to provide 100% of the nutritional needs for a family of 7!!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some Goat milk at the store and put a tiny bit in a bowl for mom but she hasn't drank it yet. Should I get a couple more of those tiny bottles to feed them? or is there a better way for newborns?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Oreo lost weight also and was the runt.
When I got her she was half the size of the other kittens and now looks like a 6 month old kitten even though she just turned 1.
She does have problems though and that is why she is small.
She has fcks.
My Coco has a son that was born with a hernia and was the runt of her litter.
He is 6 now and is about 15 pounds and is very tall.
He lost weight then grew alot and became the biggest kitten of her litter.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding mom kitten food? That will give her lots of nutrition to help feed her huge new family. Also, when the others are resting and not nursing, put the little one next to mom and make sure she latches on to give her a bit more feeding time. She (or he) may be having to fight for a nipple when it's mass feeding time.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Also, when the others are resting and not nursing, put the little one next to mom and make sure she latches on to give her a bit more feeding time. She (or he) may be having to fight for a nipple when it's mass feeding time.
Excellent post! Was about to write the same!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some people are concerned about weighing kittens, etc. but I never did. My kittens were healthy, active, and I never weighed them at all. I went by their tummies, activity, and general health.

I would not worry about your kittens - all kittens gain and may lose a little from time to time. Don't stress yourself out so much

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually for the majority of them I'm ok with that. But that one that almost died worries me and I keep wonering.

And now, to top it all off, mom has licked all the marker off the feet of the white ones so I can't tell which is which :|

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

And now, to top it all off, mom has licked all the marker off the feet of the white ones so I can't tell which is which :|
Sorry forgot to tell you that highlighters wouldn't work. Weigh them again and re-mark. Another option is nail polish. Nail polish wont disappear unless you make it disappear!