Got a favorite wine?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe something that isn't common?

I like sweetish wines, so any muscat wine I like. You can go from the bottom: Muscat di Tanta Maria. Wiederkehr is a Swiss family-owned winery in Altus, AR.

Or you can go for the top: Asti Spumante.

Wiederkehr makes a really good Asti immitation, Altus Spumante.

Many of the big wineries have a muscat.

Next?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its either a young NZ Sauvigon Blanc or a Vino Verde which is produced in Portugal.

Unless its the 3rd thursday in November when the Beaujolis Noveau is released.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last fall I had a late harvest chardonnay from Raymond vineyard in Napa that was very nice (and very sweet!)

I'm a cabernet or sauvignon blanc kind of gal usually. My fiance collects great wines, so I am very lucky to have some crazy rare wines! Of course we dont drink them, but you know.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like sweeter wines, too, though I hardly ever indulge. Long ago, there was a German wine called Kellergeister ("Ghost of the Cellar") that I just loved, but I haven't seen it in so long that I suspect it's not being made anymore.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a shiraz or a merlot

Banrock Station has a really nice shiraz.

But, just give me a bottle of Trader Joe's 3 Buck Chuck and I'm happy - their merlot and shiraz are very nice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

I like Bartenura Moscato D'Asti. We had it as our toasting wine at our wedding and I've loved it since..
Aha! Another muscat wine!

By the way, the muscat grape tastes a lot like the native muscadine that grows in the woods in Arkansas.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Riesling too, although I prefer mine a little sweeter. I found a very afforadable Reisling by Chateau Ste Michelle that I just love

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

I can't believe I'm going to admit this in public but my fav wine is called "crisp white" and it comes in a box
Oh, it's true that about all that can be said for some of the box wines is that they are wet and acoholic. But it's not true of all of them. We have "Chateau Cardboard" in the house at all times, because we like a glass of wine with dinner, but most nights don't want to drink a whole bottle. Cedar Creek (a BC winery) does several of them, and we particularly like the Merlot and the Sauvignon Blanc.

As for a favourite wine...don't think I can name one, because it really depends on what it's going with or how it's being used. On the whole, we like our wines quite dry -- with the exception of dessert wines, of course.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mrblanche...Hi...
sharing with you a photo of my favourite brand of wine,...

Gato negro Chilean house made it,...and from all varietys my favourite is Chardonay...
...sooooo delicious!...

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Aha! Another muscat wine!

By the way, the muscat grape tastes a lot like the native muscadine that grows in the woods in Arkansas.
My husband picked it out and I was skeptical about it, but I tried it and have loved it since the first sip.. My hubby runs a liquor store with his dad so I get to try new things periodically,
(when my tummy is up to it.)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

My husband picked it out and I was skeptical about it, but I tried it and have loved it since the first sip.. My hubby runs a liquor store with his dad so I get to try new things periodically,
(when my tummy is up to it.)
Ask him to try to find that "Altus Spumante" from Weiderkehr winery in Altus, AR.

Another is "Moscato d'Oro," from Robert Mondavi. That's probably near the top of the price list, but still not expensive.

And just in case anyone is paying attention:

Weinkeller Restaurant

The Weiderkehr Winery in Altus, AR, also has a very nice gift shop, wine outlet, and restaurant in Altus. It's about exit 40 on I-40 in Arkansas. Note that it serves Swiss fondue, among other specialties.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He says he's never heard of the wine from Ak. But has heard of the other so I might have to try it!!!
Thanks for the info..
And oh I like fondue too..... I just wish I could cook so I could make it. Hubby isn't all that into it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, Arkansas is a pretty big wine producer, from two areas. Around Altus, it was the Swiss who moved in and made wines, and around Tontitown, it was the Italians.

Arkansas is abbreviated AR, by the way. AK is Alaska. AZ is Arizona. Those give a lot of people trouble.