People should mind their own business

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was taking my nightly walk in the neighborhood park last night, feeding the squirrels as I usually do, when some old bat taps me on the shoulder and says not to feed the squirrels, it's against the rules! I replied that I don't want to see them starve, she replied that no one in ths country starves! (That's a rant in itself). I also told her that people feed the animals, ride bikes and rollerskate in this park all the time, she says she knows that, it is all against the rules and if she sees me feeding the squirrels again she will call the police!! Really don't people have anything better to do. Anyway had to get that out of my system and yes I will be back in the park tonight to feed the squirrels, old bat be darned!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless there is a signed posted somewhere that specifcally says, DON'T FEED THE SQUIRRELS I wouldn't worry about it to much..

Some people just like to be annoying and stir the pot, hopefully she will be on to something else soon enough.

Personally I think the police would have a few choice words to say to her if she called them over something like "Oh my god, this person is in a public park feeding the Squirrels
"

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people just like to be annoying and stir the pot, hopefully she will be on to something else soon enough.

Some peeps are so miserable with their own lives that the derive pleasure from trying to make others' miserable, too.
And some peeps have no heart for animals..

Just ignore her, and continue feeding the poor things. If she sees that she hasn't managed to scare you any, it'll tick her off even more.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let her call the police. I guess they've caught all the killers, muggers, rapists, burglars, car thieves, etc., and have plenty of time to start ridding society of the illicit squirrel feeder menace.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Let her call the police. I guess they've caught all the killers, muggers, rapists, burglars, car thieves, etc., and have plenty of time to start ridding society of the illicit squirrel feeder menace.
Exactly!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gray squirrels are an introduced species in the US and responsible for the low populations of native squirrel species as they take over their former territories, but feeding them will hardly change that issue, and I have never heard of any municipality with laws against it.
It's not at all like the issues when Canada Geese are fed.

Let the old hag call the police, the most they're likely to do is give you a warning, and that's only provided that there is a law against feeding them.

ETA: Sorry, it's the red squirrel that's introduced, though they do look similar.
Doesn't matter though, it's still none of her business!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Eloquent, as usual, Mike!

Oh, and Arlyn -- I saw some Canada geese this morning on my way to work! They were flying not more than 30 feet high, crossing my path in a residential area... so beauuutiful!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are gorgeous, I just hate seeing them get sedentary and stop migrating because they're being fed.
Not to mention the mess they make in the parks

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is the old 'bat' has no one and nothing better to occupy her time, so she pesters people in the park.

I feed squirrels in my own home, but not in the park... They're smart and if they get too brave I've seen them run up someone's leg to try to plunder pockets.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Maybe she was hungry. You should have offered her some too
Maybe take her a sandwich tonight That might keep her quiet.
I think the police have better things to do. Make the her a peanut butter sandwich . If she isn't there the squirrels will love it

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

you have such a way w/words, Mike!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She ought to be ashamed of herself for committing such a crime.

You're funny, Mike.
I wish I could have met you!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Maybe she was hungry. You should have offered her some too
Maybe take her a sandwich tonight That might keep her quiet.
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

Make the her a peanut butter sandwich . If she isn't there the squirrels will love it

You guys are hilarious!
I needed a good laugh, after yesterday's tension!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squirrels are pretty good on finding food sources esp this time of year.

I recently posted a free offer on craigslist for my black walnuts as I go morning and night to get them before the squirrels. Alas I do see the squirrels making sorties in my yard despite my best efforts.

A person who came Sunday night to pick up my current harvest wants to attract squirrels to his yard!! I informed him one of my weed problems is from the squirrels planting the nuts in my perennial beds and having to yank out the tree seedlings.
I was astounded when he said he didn't know that the squirrels planted the nuts and trees would germinate from them!!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, considering how many squirrels I see in my neighborhood, I don't necessarily go around feeding them...they are pesty critters, that destroy trash, chew cables and cords, and carry fleas, and can harbor other illnesses that my pets can contract. When habitating cities, and few by human hands, they learn not to fear them and can really become bothersome, in the sense that who wants a squirrel invading a picnic, or sun bath? They can be really nippy too, if you don't give them what they want, and if you're a little kid, that bite can be severe; they are wild animals (who know how to forage and fend for themselves); they're not 'pets'. They can also put up quite a fight if kitties try to tangle with them...If you live on a farm, you know how much damage they can cause to crops and gardens (been there too, as I grew up on one).

I don't kill them, so don't hear me say that, but I don't try to help them populate anymore than they already do on their own!