Hurrican Ike!

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anyone else besides me in the path of IKE? I live in Houston and I am not evacuating. I've never been through an actual hurricane hit before so I'm really nervous. I have water, food, cat supplies, but my biggest fear is being without power which means no air conditioning, etc. etc. I worry about the cats more than I do myself.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sat in a mall parking lot in a truck through Alicia. Stupid dispatcher! I told him the hurricane was coming in, but no, he had to send us down there anyway. He got fired for it!

We kept moving the truck as the wind shifted, to keep the tail end of the trailer into the wind. Couldn't sleep, the truck was rocking. Watched the stores get torn up, the light poles fall.

Never again.

As Ron White says, "It's not THAT the wind is blowing, it's WHAT the wind is blowing. And it's hard to feel brave with a stop sign through your spleen."

I see they just moved the track back farther north, just west of Galveston.

This week was the 108th anniversary of "Isaac's Storm," the hurricane that destroyed Galveston, over 8,000 killed, in 1900.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a horrible experience for you. I'm glad you are staying in place this time. Yes, the path has moved more to the Galveston area. Take care!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on the west side of Houston. If a power outage is the worst thing that happens I'll be delighted! I'm more worried about breaking windows!

The projected landfall keeps moving farther up the coast. If that keeps up it may go east of Houston, putting us on the "clean" side with less wind and rain.

It will be interesting to see what the models look like at this time Fri.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crt

Is there anyone else besides me in the path of IKE? I live in Houston and I am not evacuating.
We're in the path of it, too.

I've never been through an actual hurricane hit before so I'm really nervous.
We went through Hurricane Rita back in '05, and while it certainly was no picnic, we survived and managed. You'll be okay.

I have water, food, cat supplies, but my biggest fear is being without power which means no air conditioning, etc. etc.
Being w/o power isn't any fun - especially with the heat and all, but you'll get through it.
As long as you've stocked up and have all the necessities, you'll get through it okay. I'll certainly miss not having my computer to use
but we've got games to play and books to read to keep occupied.

I worry about the cats more than I do myself.
I was worried about my cats too when Rita blew through, but they survived. Your babies will be okay.

Stay safe!

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in Houston during Hurricane Alicia. I was fairly young but remember not being able to see out the windows cause of all the junk blowing around. If your cats are indoors and you have made the necessary preparations, they will be fine. Praying you all make it through. My family and my in-laws are still in Houston so we are concerned for them.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crt

I worry about the cats more than I do myself.
Unless there is a drastic change in Ike's path I'm going to confine mine to my bedroom Fri night. If it gets really hairy I'll put them (and me) in the closet which is quite large.

Remember flying debris can break a window and a scared kitty could escape through it.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be safe. We got power back yesterday. We too are supposed to get the high winds. Putting tarps on the roof, and boards back up on the windows.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys be safe. What parts of town do you guys live in? My husband and I live in Sheldon/Channelview and we are staying here. Take care of yourself and your babies!!!! This is getting scary!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the news tonight, they said that the evacuation order for Houston began with the statement that choosing to stay in Houston in a one- or two-story home is "certain death." They can't really know that, of course, but the fact that they're using such extreme terms suggests that this may be worse than we're assuming.

Please, folks on the coast... remember that most hurricane deaths are due to drowning... and hiding in a bathroom won't protect against that.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

On the news tonight, they said that the evacuation order for Houston began with the statement that choosing to stay in Houston in a one- or two-story home is "certain death." They can't really know that, of course, but the fact that they're using such extreme terms suggests that this may be worse than we're assuming.

Please, folks on the coast... remember that most hurricane deaths are due to drowning... and hiding in a bathroom won't protect against that.
I'm 1000% sure you misunderstood. There is *no* evacuation order for *Houston*. They had to have been referring to a coastal area, Galveston, High Island, etc.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I'm 1000% sure you misunderstood. There is *no* evacuation order for *Houston*. They had to have been referring to a coastal area, Galveston, High Island, etc.
are you certain? i found this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080911...m_080911212004
Roads and bridges leading away from the Texas coast were jammed Thursday as hundreds of thousands of residents of Houston and surrounding areas began a mass evacuation Thursday, with deadly Hurricane Ike bearing down on the Texas metropolis.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 3:40am right now....I got up to go to the bathroom and noticed the wind is starting to pick up. I just looked at the IR satellite...it has me more worried now...it's definitely BIG IKE! This is going to be a long weekend!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

Be safe. We got power back yesterday. We too are supposed to get the high winds. Putting tarps on the roof, and boards back up on the windows.
It's good to see you back posting!

I get off of work at 11:00 am on Fridays. My boss said that the winds for us are supposed to be worse tomorrow (Sat) than they will be today. I usually go to my house on Saturdays to work on it....that's where Foster lives (as an outside cat). I left work, picked up some lunch, went to my house and ate. Then I called my mom because I wasn't sure what to do with him. I didn't want to lock him in the garage. But I figured I would not be traveling to Lafayette tomorrow to be able to feed him because of bad weather or downed trees blocking the roadways (remember Gustav just passed through here and trees are weakened). I was worried about him not having enough food to last through the rest of today, Saturday, & Sunday. I also figured his bowls might get blown away. We are also under tornado warnings out here. She said to bring him home and we could put him out on the enclosed patio. I did that. But I'm going to set up one of the large dog cages I have in the living room and put him in there.....he's scared out there. The wind has been blowing all afternoon and the power has been going out and back on all afternoon. I'm going to post this quickly before the power goes out again.

To all those in the storm's direct path.....take cover!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it's pretty late, but in another thread, I posted my cell number and if anyone needs a place to come from down there, give me a call. We have a spare bedroom/bath suite. Nothing fancy, but cheaper than the jacked-up prices they'll charge at a motel.