Pedigree cat or shelter cat?

birco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two non-pedigree cats adopted from acquaintances. Now my boyfriend wants to buy a purebred british shorthair. I'd like an exotic or a scottish fold myself.
But I also volunteer at a local humane society and can't stand the sight of sweet kitties having no loving home to go to.
Of course pedigree cats appear more special and exotic looking but I don't think I can live with myselft knowing that we could've adopted homeless cats instead.
How can I cope with this dilemma?? Which one would you choose?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any breed-rescue groups near you? In the US, I've seen Siamese groups, etc. Maybe that's one avenue to check.

And, as you know a lot of the shelters have kitties that either are pure-bred or appear to be pure-breds (ok, you don't get the papers and don't get the nice long family history that way), but if you're looking more for a certain 'look' than having the long pedigree in hand, that might be a nice compromise.

Don't beat yourself up if you end up with a good breeder and giving one of those babies a home - it's the love that counts.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree to look into breed specific rescue groups, or just put the breed you are interested in into the search function on petfinder. See what's out there.

Whether to breed or buy is a dilemma only you/your boyfriend can decide on.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like breed rescue might be a good compromise for you guys.
Keep your eyes open at local shelters too - even pedigreed cats sometimes end up homeless, and if you're patient you will probably see the breed you're looking for in time.

As white cat lover said, you have to decide what feels right for you. Personally, I have moggie rescue kitties, pedigreed cats from breeders, and a purebred who spent some time at the Humane Society. I don't regret bringing any of them into my family!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as though this is something you and your bf have to sort out between yourselves

I have pedigree cats because I particularly wanted a type of look and personality and had my heart set on that. It sounds to me as if this is your bfs position. Your position is that you are not that set on a particular look or personality, which can be a bit of a lottery when looking for a shelter cat, and you are reticent of going to a breeder.

Do not be alarmed about getting a cat from a breeder, just make sure it's a good breeder and not a BYB. Good breeders breed cats for people like me who have a specific requirement/desire when it comes to cats and who would not be likely to get a cat from a shelter, so are not robbing shelter cats of homes. Good breeders will insist on any cat they have produced coming back to them if circumstances change and they no longer have a home, so are not adding to shelter populations either.

When you see "Siamese" or other breed name in a shelter description it is unlikely that the cat is a purebred from a good breeder - it is either from a BYB, or it just looks a bit like the breed mentioned, shelters do this because it helps them to find homes, but very few purebreds end up in shelters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

birco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The shelter I volunteer at, I've only seen one ragdoll so far.
I'll look for other shelters around the area I guess.
Thanks for your suggestions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You cant help them all, but you can always help some.

Thus, dont have a bad conscience having own pedigree cat, as long as you also do help the homeless in some way.
Preferably by adopting one or two - which you had already done, as I understand. Although your adoptions werent from a shelter.

You also do work as volunteer at this shelter.
I would say, it is quite enough to cover every conscience. More then enough.

About the discussion as such pedigree contra homeless:

I myself believe there is no necessary contradiction between pedigree cats and homeless moggies.

Because very many cat-unused peoples are ex-homeless no alternative.
So they will buy either a pedigree, or a home-raised moggie.

Quite right, f.eks. semiferale isnt easy for a cat-unused person.
But isnt not at all that difficult for a some experienced cat owner. Thus, being cat-owner, it is easy to take an ex homeless as second or third cat.

Thus, I do firm believe pedigreed cats, or home raised moggies, dont takes away possible adopting places from homeless cats, but in contrary - do creates possible adopting places where no such place was possible before.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally would never get any animal from a breeder because I am heavily involved in rescue, and that is my calling! So there is no need for me to get a cat from a breeder, and I would feed bad about getting a cat from a breeder because those cat's lives are not at risk, the shelter cat's lives are. Especially if you live where I live where we have such a major overpopulation problem.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I have both and you already have 2 moggies I would go with pedigreed : )

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might have luck if you google a specific breed rescue plus your state or area. Sometimes there are only a few breed rescue groups in a state. Another state may have a breed rescue that is close to you.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just ask why a person would want a pedigreed cat. If it's for the looks, you can get some fantastic cats at the shelter. Right now we have a pretty, cuddly flame-point that has the classic Siamese look (thin face, but not extreme). We've had cats like that that the breed rescue groups pick up. They have everything except the papers, of course.

Of course, I understand that some people have their heart set on a particular breed or appearance or temperament or want to show. That's an entirely different discussion.

fatcatt316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Por favor go to the shelter and get a cat. Not only is it a lot cheaper (plus you're rescuing a cat that needs it), but you can find some exotic-looking cats there too!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 2 cents as a breeder:

Go to a shelter first. Seriously. It is my firm belief that cats choose their human and not the other way around.

Unless, you both have your hearts set upon a particular breed. Then, IMO you are not in the "market" in the first place for a shelter cat and therefore are not taking away a home - there was never a home from you in the first place.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always had pedigree and mixed breed cats. I've also adopted a few from shelters. I have no problem with choosing one or the other. When I want a show cat, I get a pedigree cat. I've shown my HHP's too.

If you want a purebred, get one. You've adopted both, so I don't think you need to feel all that guilty of wanting a quality purebred cat. There is room for both in the pet world!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love a good shelter cat myself. I don't think I would ever buy a pure bred cat, but I think as long as you have or are going to get a shelter cat there's nothing wrong with having a pure bred cat. I do want a Grey Hound dog some day, but it would be one from a rescue group.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spend half my week at the shelter and as much as I fall in love with cats there, I know every one of them go to a good home and I really want a Maine Coon. We were in touch with a breeder before I brought my last one home and a kitten became available just weeks after I took her and while I wouldn't trade her for anything I will still have my Maine Coon one day.

If you both really want a pure bred for breed specific reasons go ahead. If you can get one from a breed specific rescue, even better but don't let it put you off having the pet you want.

We have a Siamese coming up for adoption if not claimed in the next few days if you are interested... obviously no papers but no mistaking the fact it is a Siamese. We also recently had a papered Ragdoll. I am only half an hour or so from you.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I would just ask why a person would want a pedigreed cat. If it's for the looks, you can get some fantastic cats at the shelter. Right now we have a pretty, cuddly flame-point that has the classic Siamese look (thin face, but not extreme). We've had cats like that that the breed rescue groups pick up. They have everything except the papers, of course.
What about temperament? Or health reasons? That is why my brother got his Maine Coon kitten from a breeder (that plus he wanted a black Maine Coon.)
I've found that Roxy the Maine Coon kitten has a totally different temperament and outlook from all the other, rescued cats I've had and the kittens I've rescued/raised... It is particularly apparent because I rescued a feral kitten (Church) a month or two before we brought Roxy home so I was able to see the differences in the two from being raised on the streets and born to two ferals vs. being raised in a breeder's home and born to health-tested and healthy Maine Coons...

I've also noticed that Roxy is a lot different from the other random-bred longhaired cats I know, some of which are called "Maine Coons" or "Maine Coon mix". I thought they were similar to a Maine Coon but wow what a difference when you can actually compare the two!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

What about temperament? Or health reasons? That is why my brother got his Maine Coon kitten from a breeder (that plus he wanted a black Maine Coon.)
I've found that Roxy the Maine Coon kitten has a totally different temperament and outlook from all the other, rescued cats I've had and the kittens I've rescued/raised... It is particularly apparent because I rescued a feral kitten (Church) a month or two before we brought Roxy home so I was able to see the differences in the two from being raised on the streets and born to two ferals vs. being raised in a breeder's home and born to health-tested and healthy Maine Coons...

I've also noticed that Roxy is a lot different from the other random-bred longhaired cats I know, some of which are called "Maine Coons" or "Maine Coon mix". I thought they were similar to a Maine Coon but wow what a difference when you can actually compare the two!
Thanks for posting this! Really!

I think people often forget that good breeders dedicate a huge portion of their lives and income to producing healthy cats with outstanding temperaments.
Kittens that are raised from birth in loving human hands, who become well adjusted social family pets.

Breeders get bad press all the time, when the reality is, that we produce fine healthy animals with excellent temperament and personalities.

mew03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you possibly try looking on Petfinder if they have it in your area? Either that, or just check for a rescue shelter thats close to you. But if you really have your heart set on a purebred, I'd advise going ahead. And if you still feel badly about it, just give some donations or blankets for the shelter cats, you're already doing alot by volunteering there.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do what you want to do. Without guilt. I have all shelter kitties and I love them to pieces. If I were going to a pedigree I would get a rescued pedigree. But that is my choice. If you feel guilty then get your breed cat and then donate some money or food to a shelter in the name of your pedigree cat.