Cattary question

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want I'll see if they have a website and take a look for you and give you my opinion

Found the website - looking at it now.

http://www.nightrox.com/

Ok, cats look nice. However, they only say "grand champion lines" - no where in there website does it list the exact cats (adults) they have or what their titles are. For me its a red flag. Many people can claim GCH lines and those cats may be 3-4 or more generations in the past. Nothing current on the status. They show a few "show" pictures, but that doesn't tell me very much. When were they shown? What did they achieve.

They do have a health guarantee, but what exactly is it? Do they spay/neuter or just require you to do it?

If they live close to you and you are willing to check out in person, have them answer some of what I've questioned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how important is the parents being champions if I only want the cats as pets not to ever show?

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its not so much your kittens parents being titled but if they have titled cats, anotherward are they breeding for type and temperament expected of the breed and having a judges opinion is how we find out if our breeding goals are being achieved. So the question is are they actively showing, have they in the past and how are they doing? A shown cat will have to have a good temperament to be around the sites, strange noises and cats in a show hall and maintain composure, good type to final and good looking outer health to final as well.

More often than not, kittens whose parents can show have good structure and temperament making a better family member for you.
Daisy

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by moonandstarkatz

Its not so much your kittens parents being titled but if they have titled cats, anotherward are they breeding for type and temperament expected of the breed and having a judges opinion is how we find out if our breeding goals are being achieved. So the question is are they actively showing, have they in the past and how are they doing? A shown cat will have to have a good temperament to be around the sites, strange noises and cats in a show hall and maintain composure, good type to final and good looking outer health to final as well.

More often than not, kittens whose parents can show have good structure and temperament making a better family member for you.
Daisy
Wow I never even thought about that thanks

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looked to me, like the cat shown in the show pictures doesn't even belong to their cattery, instead belongs to a cattery called Nightmist.
Maybe a related cattery?

Anyway, no pictures of the sires and dams they use for breeding is a red flag for me, but it could be that this person just doesn't have the web space to create an extensive and informative website.

Call them up or email and pose questions. You should get polite detailed responses to your inquiries.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wildfire203

Has anyone heard of the NightRox cattary. Is it a good reliable cattary?
Newer Somali cattery. Not working with any familiar lines (red flag for me) so I can't say anything good or bad.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm one to talk, having not updated my own site in a while, but they could at least give the names and titles of the cats and in what registry they are shown. Plus, I've been under the impression that if you work with the blues in Abys and Somalis, you want to work with them exclusively. It looks like their breed info was lifted straight from the CFA website (and they do credit it) so you'd have to assume they are CFA cats, but unless they say it, you can't assume it. I personally prefer it when a breeder writes their own breed info, as you gain a lot of info on how they see their own cats based on how they write about them

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

It looks like their breed info was lifted straight from the CFA website (and they do credit it) so you'd have to assume they are CFA cats, but unless they say it, you can't assume it.
I believe they are a TICA cattery. I have not seen their name or cats around in CFA. Nightmist does not even sound familiar to me so makes me wonder where these Somalis are coming from.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to check pedigrees online for Somalis? The Vans and Angoras are spoiled with www.vangoran.com; an online pedigree database.

It also makes me wonder if the breeder is scanning for PKD. . .

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

It also makes me wonder if the breeder is scanning for PKD. . .
That is what is so scary for me. I know of 3 TICA breeders who do have pkd in their lines. Veeshan(not tested she could be affected) has pkd in her lines that is how I found all this out. How many other breeders have those lines gone to?

Links to check Somali pedigrees

http://www.catpedigrees.com/sf.shtml

http://www.somali.asso.fr/eros/

I looked up Nightmist and it is actually an Aby breeder.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While the databases are helpful, they are not always completely accurate. I found that out with the Ocicat database.

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have talked to the breeder and they said they have paperwork showing the parents free from PKD.