Cord eating

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has been chewing on some of my computer cords,i wrapped some black electrical tape around the spots she has bite marks,is this safe?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be careful.
My sisters cat i a cord eater and has chewed so many things.
Your cat could still get shocked or eat the tape.
Maui chewed the radio cord,computer cord,cell charger,clearwire internet and cable tv. She chewed teh hair dryer cord also.
I hope your cat wil stop.
Maui has not stopped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the tape on pretty tight,should stay on i hope

carebear4600

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maybe try spraying that bitter apple stuff on it I've been told it helps but I've personally never used it thankfully my babies aren't chewers

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't suggest tape. My cats leave most things alone, but have a thing for tape and will go out of their way to try to eat it. We set some boxes in the living room one day to find later that evening that Sho had pulled every bit of packaging tape off them... luckily he didn't eat any.

You can get tubing to cover cords. It looks nicer and you won't have sticky cords to deal with later when some part of your computer needs to be moved or replaced.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If i got cord covers it would take me years for all the wiring to cover lol.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And using tape wouldn't take forever?
It's a project either way.

However, if your computer is in one room - ie computer room/office, you could just shut the door to keep your cat out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie is notorious for chewing on tape. I have to spray Bitter Apple on any tape he can get his mouth on for him to leave it alone.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Charlie is notorious for chewing on tape. I have to spray Bitter Apple on any tape he can get his mouth on for him to leave it alone.
I just keep tape, and tape covered things put away whenever possible. Much easier that way. But I'm lucky that I do not have persistent cats. "No" deters them (until I turn my back
).

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I blocked off the back of my desk so my kitten can't get back there
so my boycat can't get to it

he's already destroyed a few Ipod headphones and phone chargers
which I had to replace (they were m yroommates)
I keep everyhting stores unless I need to bring it out to be charged
its weird my kitten only chews on those cords that are like single strain if that makes since.. like tubular, nothing thats like double/wider
i have a feeling he's been shocked by one or something
the tubular ones in my house are typically the headphones and the unplugged phone chargers X_X

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Headphone cords are very squishy. I wrapped the cord to the ones that I used at my desk (stereo style headphones) in embroidery thread - it actually looks very nice. Tomas doesn't bother the cord now.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've a cat who's awful about chewing on cords. I like the plastic tubing you can get at office supply stores to keep him off so I KNOW he can't get at it. I use the one inch diameter as he chews on the kind that fits snug to the cord. The tape wouldn't slow him down a bit.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well if i shut the door then i have to get her paws clipped,she will dig at teh carpet if a room is shut esp mine. Can a cat actually get electicuted by this?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest providing an alternative would be easier and more practical than all the deterrents. I've got several natural rawhide shoelaces hanging up in various places, located near the wires and cords Mellie likes to chew. The shoelaces give her an alternative to chew on and they're perfectly safe. Be sure to get NATURAL rawhide laces. She chews through them, but I doubt she swallows much if any. In small pieces, it should be digestible.

sparkleamato

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Racn1320

Well if i shut the door then i have to get her paws clipped,she will dig at teh carpet if a room is shut esp mine. Can a cat actually get electicuted by this?
Yes a cat can get electrocuted by this. . Also, electrical tape has chemicals in it that may not be safe for kitty if injested.

When my cats were babies, I sprayed them with water every time I saw them near the cords. They have matured into non cord-eating cats

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sparkleamato

When my cats were babies, I sprayed them with water every time I saw them near the cords. They have matured into non cord-eating cats
Spraying water around electrical cords? Do I need to point out the obvious danger here?

Just go to an office supply or hardware store and get some tubing to cover your cords. It will make them look nice and organized, too.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to mention that most feline behaviorists these days disapprove of spraying as a behavior-modification tool.

sparkleamato

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Not to mention that most feline behaviorists these days disapprove of spraying as a behavior-modification tool.
Really? Why is that? I don't even have to do it anymore. . They know where they are not allowed