TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Does Anyone Donate Plasma?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does Anyone Donate Plasma?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I went into the plasma center this week and tried setting up an appointment to donate, but I have to get an ok from my doctor first. I have thyroid issues.

I just curious if it was worth it, $ and the time. I've donated blood twice in the last year and I fainted both times. I have a feeling I'll probably faint if I donate plasma, seeing blood makes me faint....
post #2 of 18
Well, they put it back in you, so you won't get light headed from loss of blood, so just don't watch. It takes a while though. DH did it once while I waited - he watched an entire movie while he was there!

It's great if you can do it, it does a lot of good for a lot of people.
post #3 of 18
I used to donate plasma back in the early '80's, when I was a poor college student. They would pay $10 for the first donation in a week, and $13 for the second donation/week. It helped support me between jobs!
post #4 of 18
When I saw this thread I was thinking "Donate Plasma..is that a new tv brand?" (I've never done it)
post #5 of 18
I am not allowed to donate anything because I am Anemic.
Thanks to the people that donate plasma and blood.
My Husband had alot of transfusions because his leukemia.
post #6 of 18
My daughter donates regularly. It gives her an extra $240 a month! I've thought about it from time to time. I think it takes her about 30-45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
I am not allowed to donate anything because I am Anemic.
Thanks to the people that donate plasma and blood.
My Husband had alot of transfusions because his leukemia.
Just FYI: The plasma that people get paid for is usually going for research projects and not for transfusion. So if anyone has the intention of helping someone who needs transfusion, you'd have to donate somewhere such as the red cross and you don't get paid for that.
post #7 of 18
In Canada people actually "donate" their blood and blood products, not sell them.

I've only given blood once, and that was when I was 18 years old. I hated needles and refused to do it again.

When I got sick 4 years ago I quickly outgrew my fear of needles because I was poked and prodded so much. And now that I'm no longer afraid of needles, I can't donate even if I wanted to.

I'm anemic at times, and on an antidepressant. I don't know if the medication would be a factor, but anemia is.

I think you can only donate here once every so many weeks. My former homecare lady went to some banquet dinner and was given an award for having reached some milestone with donating. She's been donating regularly all of her adult life.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
In Canada people actually "donate" their blood and blood products, not sell them.

I've only given blood once, and that was when I was 18 years old. I hated needles and refused to do it again.

When I got sick 4 years ago I quickly outgrew my fear of needles because I was poked and prodded so much. And now that I'm no longer afraid of needles, I can't donate even if I wanted to.

I'm anemic at times, and on an antidepressant. I don't know if the medication would be a factor, but anemia is.

I think you can only donate here once every so many weeks. My former homecare lady went to some banquet dinner and was given an award for having reached some milestone with donating. She's been donating regularly all of her adult life.
I'd say the biggest portion of people donate here too. There's sometimes a controversy about people who sell their plasma rather then donate. But I don't see a problem with it. There is a need for both. Without research, we wouldn't have as many medical advances. And if you're part of a research study, you should get paid for that participation and risk. It's the same if you participate in a weight loss study, or a new cancer drug, for example.

You're right about donating blood. You can't donate blood as often as you can plasma. PLasma you can donate more often because they are returning the red cells back to you and it isn't as much of a shock to the body. You recover quicker.
post #9 of 18
I've donated (not sold) blood for decades, and I've done plasma several times in the past couple of years. I haven't gone in awhile, though, because I've become so uncomfortable with the total lack of professionalism on the part of the techs at the center I've gone to. I need to give them another shot... so to speak...
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
Well, they put it back in you, so you won't get light headed from loss of blood, so just don't watch.
Unless there's something wrong with a person - anemic or low blood volume, there's not enough taken to make a person dizzy.

I believe I've already discussed it with her before. The fainting is not from blood loss, she would need to lose a lot more to cause that. Think about how much some of us loose during a heavy period (or for the unlucky few, constant bleeding for a few weeks). It's because the body detects something foreign in the vein. This is actually a form of vasovagal syncope (neurocardiogenic syncope). The autonomic nervous system detects the needle and behaves the wrong way. This can be triggered in some people by strong emotions. In my case, it's standing up - gravity.

Look up and read about the autonomic nervous system people. It's very important, it controls almost everything automatic in your body. A little knowledge may help someone you know someday since problems in this area can commonly be misunderstood and misdiagnosed - when people say they're "dizzy" doctors always assume inner ear problem, when our ears are fine and so on.


I'll never be able to donate anything, I'm on a class C drug, have very low blood volume, and really do not like being stuck with needles as it takes forever for my small veins to heal.
It's been what? A week and a half, maybe two weeks since I got out of the hospital. I'm still bruised, the back of my hand is still sore from the blown vein, and my left arm from the irritated/inflamed vein. Nope, not signing up to go through that unless I really have to.
post #11 of 18
I've donated blood lots of time though now because the army shot me full of 20 diff vaccines I can only donate within the army, Which is still good though cause the Military has it's own supply of blood the don't get blood from any other organizations like the red cross or anything. Last time I tried to donate I was anemic at the time so I couldn't but I probly will do both when I get back to Germany.
post #12 of 18
I used to donate twice a year but since I've had cancer they don't want my blood anymore.

I think I started donating just for the free cookies and orange juice.

I would lay there resting after giving blood and watch the big strong men go into convulsions when they got stuck with the needle.
post #13 of 18
I used to donate plasma when I was in college. Back then it was $20 each time you donated. It used to take me about an hour to fill the bag. There are a few things you can do to help speed up the process. I was told to eat granola bars and drink gatorade (or some other sports drinks).

Good way to make some extra cash and if I had the time to do it now I would.
post #14 of 18
I donated twice a week for a period of time when I was in my 20's. They paid $20 each time and I needed the cash! I had to quit though because they said I had tiny veins that were hard to hit and kept collapsing.
post #15 of 18
I don't know of any place that pays for donating blood or blood products. Around here it's all volunteer.

I've never done it because I was always a big coward. A few years ago I got my courage up but was turned down because I was low in something. Not sure what I just didn't pass the test.

These days I am not sure if I can donate because of my arthritis. I do know that I can't donate bone marrow because of it.

Doing that would be a major scary deal but I did think about it.
post #16 of 18
^You're on a DMARD, correct? If so, probably not as they affect the immune system. You may be able to donate for your own supply, if you needed surgery or something.
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa View Post
When I saw this thread I was thinking "Donate Plasma..is that a new tv brand?" (I've never done it)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u View Post
My daughter donates regularly. It gives her an extra $240 a month! I've thought about it from time to time. I think it takes her about 30-45 minutes.



Just FYI: The plasma that people get paid for is usually going for research projects and not for transfusion. So if anyone has the intention of helping someone who needs transfusion, you'd have to donate somewhere such as the red cross and you don't get paid for that.
If you read the "fine print" it does says it's only for research. That's one reason I don't have a problem with getting paid for my body, it's going to research, not directly to someone in need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
In Canada people actually "donate" their blood and blood products, not sell them.
I donate my blood here in the states too. A lot of people have stickers on their car that says "I've given ____ gallons".


Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Unless there's something wrong with a person - anemic or low blood volume, there's not enough taken to make a person dizzy.

I believe I've already discussed it with her before. The fainting is not from blood loss, she would need to lose a lot more to cause that. Think about how much some of us loose during a heavy period (or for the unlucky few, constant bleeding for a few weeks). It's because the body detects something foreign in the vein. This is actually a form of vasovagal syncope (neurocardiogenic syncope). The autonomic nervous system detects the needle and behaves the wrong way. This can be triggered in some people by strong emotions. In my case, it's standing up - gravity.

Look up and read about the autonomic nervous system people. It's very important, it controls almost everything automatic in your body. A little knowledge may help someone you know someday since problems in this area can commonly be misunderstood and misdiagnosed - when people say they're "dizzy" doctors always assume inner ear problem, when our ears are fine and so on.


I'll never be able to donate anything, I'm on a class C drug, have very low blood volume, and really do not like being stuck with needles as it takes forever for my small veins to heal.
It's been what? A week and a half, maybe two weeks since I got out of the hospital. I'm still bruised, the back of my hand is still sore from the blown vein, and my left arm from the irritated/inflamed vein. Nope, not signing up to go through that unless I really have to.
Yep you did talk to me about it before!!! I wondered if you would come across this thread I think you are totally right, although I have found out that I faint from the site of blood, I don't have to be poked or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lou View Post
I used to donate plasma when I was in college. Back then it was $20 each time you donated. It used to take me about an hour to fill the bag. There are a few things you can do to help speed up the process. I was told to eat granola bars and drink gatorade (or some other sports drinks).

Good way to make some extra cash and if I had the time to do it now I would.
Yeah it's $35 dollars the first time in the week and $50 the second time. I really wanted to do it because it's a lot of money and I am a poor college student. Stupid thyroid!!!!
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
Yep you did talk to me about it before!!! I wondered if you would come across this thread I think you are totally right, although I have found out that I faint from the site of blood, I don't have to be poked or anything.
That's the emotion part. You can't help it. While it doesn't really gross me out or make me feel like I'll faint, I can't watch when they take blood or put an IV in either. It bothers me a little to look over and see that the person's made a mess... Yet if I cut myself or have some other accident where I'm bleeding (and usually a good amount, I'm a bleeder), I'm not bothered by seeing myself bleed.


...I wonder if I should have told the surgeon yesterday that I'm a bit of a bleeder. Oops.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Does Anyone Donate Plasma?