Thinning fur

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - I took Murray in for his vaccinations and check-up yesterday, and the vet found a patch of fur that appears to be thinning. (The vet called it "male-pattern baldness," LOL.) I hope it doesn't get much worse! Is there anything that can be done to help it? Maybe brushing him less often?

Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where's the patch at? How old is he? And does he groom at the spot a lot?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some of mine have the "male pattern baldness".
It is on their head just to either side of the eyes going back to the ears. Said it was a genetic thing. They are cute anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Where's the patch at? How old is he? And does he groom at the spot a lot?
Murray is six or seven years old. (Not sure, since he was a stray.) The vet said it's unlikely he has hyperthyroidism (one cause of hair loss) at his age. The patch is on Murray's back. He barely grooms himself at all, especially back there. He has not been licking or scratching the spot at all. He has no underlying skin condition other than dry skin.

Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be his diet isn't high enough in omega fatty acids for him, hence the dry skin and thinner fur. Though it's probably likely that he grooms at the spot a bit more, just maybe when you're not paying attention. Dry skin can be itchy after all.

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Could be his diet isn't high enough in omega fatty acids for him, hence the dry skin and thinner fur. Though it's probably likely that he grooms at the spot a bit more, just maybe when you're not paying attention. Dry skin can be itchy after all.
I think it would be odd for him to groom the spot when I'm not watching, if he rarely grooms himself (especially back there) when I'm around. But I suppose you could be right, anything is possible. You also may be right about the omegas, because at one point (because of the dry skin) my vet suggested giving him fish oil, but when I put the contents of the capsules on Murray's food, he wouldn't eat it. So the vet just suggested that I brush him more often. I hope I am not over-brushing him and contributing to the fur loss problem.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what you're brushing with and how much (see the current grooming thread in the care and grooming section for great tips).

Maybe just look for a wet food that has better omega fatty acids? Or improve the dry. There are also some supplements - off the top of my head, I can't remember the name for the one that I've seen recommended but it was made by a company that makes foods - maybe Eagle Pack?

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It depends on what you're brushing with and how much (see the current grooming thread in the care and grooming section for great tips).

Maybe just look for a wet food that has better omega fatty acids? Or improve the dry. There are also some supplements - off the top of my head, I can't remember the name for the one that I've seen recommended but it was made by a company that makes foods - maybe Eagle Pack?
I brush him with a soft, gentle rubber brush. I don't do it excessively, maybe once a week.

Murray won't eat any wet food - I've tried, believe me. And the dry food I now give him is good-quality stuff - I just switched it recently (Royal Canin, recommended by my vet). What kind of supplements do you mean? If it is anything to sprinkle on the food, it probably wouldn't work, since he probably wouldn't eat the food, being the picky boy he is. :-)