compressing files

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to email a couple song but it says they're too big. How can I compress them?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always used Winzip, but unfortunately it got sold to a larger company and it's no longer free. But the file format is a recognized by every other archiving program around. So I'd suggest just searching on download.com for a free zip utility. They'll all have different features but will produce the .zip format file, which you can attach to your email.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I've always used Winzip, but unfortunately it got sold to a larger company and it's no longer free. But the file format is a recognized by every other archiving program around. So I'd suggest just searching on download.com for a free zip utility. They'll all have different features but will produce the .zip format file, which you can attach to your email.
OK, thank you.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's also 7 zip. It's free under GNU and has better compression then Winzip.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!! I think I'll check that out. I'm still running WinZip v.8.1 which is probably the last to qualify under the "updates free for life" license I had from, what was it, Nico-Mak Computing? or something like that.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the file is in MP3 format there's not much sense in compressing it. it won't do you any good. mp3 files are already compressed and you'll get less than 1% compression zipping them.

If your files aren't in MP3 format, that's what you need to do. get a converter. they'll be MUCH smaller.