Mom and her babies. mom is starting to cry

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I go check on my new foster fam the mom crys for me to pet her, so i do. She still rolls over for belly rubs and has no problem flinging babies off when doing so lol.

But then I come back, and she's standing up, well sort of squatting, with all the babies dangling from her.

She simply won't come out of the box. It's been 24 hours now, actually 36 since she STARTED labor.

Should i just let her be? i want to change the t-shirts in the box but it's a huge ordeal to move her, or the kittens. if I grab a kitty and hold it where she can't see it she starts to panic.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I explain this...it's like changing sheets for a bed ridden person. Move everyone to one side and roll up the t-shirt on the same side. Then do the same for the opposite side and voila, you have removed one layer!

Let her be, she's being a great mom. Put the food and litter box away (not too fae) from the nest and she'll come out eventually. She's probably coming in and out without you knowing anyway!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

When I go check on my new foster fam the mom crys for me to pet her, so i do. She still rolls over for belly rubs and has no problem flinging babies off when doing so lol.
Awwww she's obviously so pleased to see you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say, it's hard not to be a little flattered here. This poor cat has been suffering her whole life. The right side of her nose is collapsed completely, she wheezes just a little bit from the obstruction. Her teeth are black in places from grime. Not tooth decay, just from eating trash I'm sure. She's still horribly skinny but I'm stuffing as much food in her as she'll eat so she'll plump up. Right now she's eating up to 4 cans of Authority per day

The rescuse group (thank God for them) captures her and keeps her isolated for 14 days in a carrier. Tests her for disease etc. They bring her to me in that same carrier. We let her out in the bedroom. I don't think she's ever been with people, but she immediately came to me. Within a day she had stopped hiding and was flopping over for belly rubs. Still unsure, when I'd lay down she'd walk circles around me for a few minutes, then ease her way in. At first just sitting close so I could pet her, then rolling over once she felt better. Then as time went on she realized I was safe. Now she walks up and rubs her face against mine, and lays down on my arm that I'm laying my head on. She rolls over towards me smashing herself against me to be close. I pet her and she lays back with her front two paws kneading the air

I just don't see how life could get any sweeter than that for a person. What a joy!

Originally Posted by Abymummy

How do I explain this...it's like changing sheets for a bed ridden person. Move everyone to one side and roll up the t-shirt on the same side. Then do the same for the opposite side and voila, you have removed one layer!

Let her be, she's being a great mom. Put the food and litter box away (not too fae) from the nest and she'll come out eventually. She's probably coming in and out without you knowing anyway!
she came out today when ALL the kittens were asleep. She's very attentive and I think she just refused to leave until all were quiet

Good idea on shifting them from one side to the other. the box is plenty big for that. I want to waash the shirts so I can use them to rotate out again.

I still can't thank you enough for the help you gave me

ALso, incase anyone wants to see it, here's her page on the rescue group's site.
http://www.desertpawsrescue.org/comp...d,86/Itemid,9/

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless her heart. You just don't understand how people can harm them do you?
I went to see a young cat who was in one of the cats protection pens a few weeks ago, and in a similar situation to Madonna. Ruby is only 6 months old and has just had 6 kittens
She was found on a refuse tip, but what a sweet and loving little girl she is, and the cats protection said it's usually cats like Ruby and Madonna who settle into homes a lot quicker because they've never known real love, but when they do get it they give it back 10 fold

Can anything be done about her nose for her breathing?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah I can believe that big time.

I can't go to shelters, at all. I have to heavy of a heart and it just makes me sick to go in and see all those unhappy animals that are miserable through no fault of their own.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see where your coming from as well. I really want to foster but i don't think i would let them go. They said i would, but i really don't think so
If they hadn't said that they wouldn't have a problem finding Ruby a home i was ready to say i'll take her when the babies are old enough

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I worried a little about that too. But what I've founds is my mindset changed a lot. When I got my kittens I knew i was keeping them so I always thought out in the long run. With the foster I knew it was temporary so I keep finding myself thinking more about a happy home for her when she gets adopted. It's like I'm looking forward to it because I know she'll be peaceful and happy and will definitely be a loving cat. I know I'll miss her but I think the closure of sending her to a good home will help write the end of that chapter and let me start a new one.

At least that's how it feels.