*****KatKwery! - Sep. 9 - only 22 more days*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
until the season is over and the playoffs begin.

I have left Cocoa Cream's name in the standings but she has informed me it is unlikely she will be able to play. In which case, Monaxlisa would be our 8th player. However that is all speculation because with 22 more shots at it, nobody knows for sure who the eight players will be. Before the week is over, I will have detailed instructions published as a separate web page. But let me explain again how important seed position is. For example purposes only, let us suppose that both marianjela and glitch win the quarter finals and the semi finals. That puts them head to head in the best two out of three games. Each day a topic will be given and ten questions asked. As usual, DW will supply ten secret words. The winner is the one that uses the most secret words. There is no advantage in being the first to answer because each player is trying to use all ten of the secret words. BUT, if both marianjela and glitch were to get seven of the words, glitch would be the winner because of her seed position. And that is what has been being fought for these six months, seed position.

OK, the results: yes, yam102284 continued her amazing string by using week(ly). The fight for the first seed position remained status quo as glitch used never and marianjela used poor. Luvmycat1 used trash and Laureen227 used
regular(ly). ANOTHER CLEAN SWEEP! There are only 22 days left and I hope we have a day with no winners because the next day there would be 1400 point questions which would be awesome right now!

Today's KatKwiz was about the letter t in usernames.

The next time you watch Wheel of Fortune, when the big money final problem is displayed, watch the contestant's eyes as they guess the letters; watch them as they look at the board that you cannot see, which displays the frequency that letters are used in the English language. I have been in the audience and seen that board, did you ever notice they are looking at a board for their answers? E is the most used letter in English and today in KatKwiz I used the third most used letter, t. Do you know what the number two used letter in the English language is? Did you know how to find today's KatKwiz answer and did you realize that it changes throughout the day as was mentioned? We know that the number of members with a t in their username is around 9627 but would you now know how to find out how many members have a username that starts with the letter T? Did you know the reason I picked the letter T instead of some other letter is because I am having a T bone steak tonight?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I have left Cocoa Cream's name in the standings but she has informed me it is unlikely she will be able to play. In which case, Monaxlisa would be our 8th player. However that is all speculation because with 22 more shots at it, nobody knows for sure who the eight players will be. Before the week is over, I will have detailed instructions published as a separate web page. But let me explain again how important seed position is. For example purposes only, let us suppose that both marianjela and glitch win the quarter finals and the semi finals. That puts them head to head in the best two out of three games. Each day a topic will be given and ten questions asked. As usual, DW will supply ten secret words. The winner is the one that uses the most secret words. There is no advantage in being the first to answer because each player is trying to use all ten of the secret words. BUT, if both marianjela and glitch were to get seven of the words, glitch would be the winner because of her seed position. And that is what has been being fought for these six months, seed position.

OK, the results: yes, yam102284 continued her amazing string by using week(ly). The fight for the first seed position remained status quo as glitch used never and marianjela used poor. Luvmycat1 used trash and BelongsToEvie used regular(ly). ANOTHER CLEAN SWEEP! There are only 22 days left and I hope we have a day with no winners because the next day there would be 1400 point questions which would be awesome right now!

The next time you watch Wheel of Fortune, when the big money final problem is displayed, watch the contestant's eyes as they guess the letters; watch them as they look at the board that you cannot see, which displays the frequency that letters are used in the English language. I have been in the audience and seen that board, did you ever notice they are looking at a board for their answers? E is the most used letter in English and today in KatKwiz I used the third most used letter, t. Do you know what the number two used letter in the English language is? Did you know how to find today's KatKwiz answer and did you realize that it changes throughout the day as was mentioned? We know that the number of members with a t in their username is around 9627 but would you now know how to find out how many members have a username that starts with the letter T? Did you know the reason I picked the letter T instead of some other letter is because I am having a T bone steak tonight?
MMM T bone, sounds good Lee.
It's been so long since I've watched Wheel Of Fortune. I never noticed the players are looking at an unseen board. I didn't check out todays Katkwiz yet so I'm not quite sure how to go about finding the information featured.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, some questions you asked here tonight Lee. Before I begin, let me start by saying thanks again for the points Lee. I knew I was going to have trouble climbing over top of Glitch - she sure is putting up a hack of a fight!!! These next three weeks will be interesting. I see a bit of yo-yo'ing in our future.

I used to watch Wheel of Fortune all the time, but now I dont get to watch much TV, between hubby and the kids, the TV pretty much stays on cartoons or sports. However on the off chance that I do get to see it, like at my father-in-laws house, I have noticed them looking off in the distance. I always assumed there was a board showing them what letters have not been chosen yet. It is interesting that they give the players the statistics of the letter use. I dont know if it is much of an advantage though, because I imagine they tend to pick words and phrases that arent typical to the English letter frequency stats. It is no surprise to me that the letter "E" is the most used letter. It is the most popular vowel and since every word needs a vowel, it only makes sense that it is the most used letter of the alphabet. If I had to guess what the second most popular letter was, I would guess "S". What are the letters they automatically give you in he Bonus Round? R, S, T, L, N, and E? I think "S" is the most logical second choice. Especially considering it is used for possessive and plural words as well.

I knew how to find the answer on TheCatSite this morning, I knew to go to do a Search (didnt even have to be advance) of our Members List and type in the letter T as a Keyword, but I didnt want to waste one of this month's wins on today since my username doesnt consist of today's magic letter. I just know, that if I answer all the Kwiz's that I dont qualify for the extra points (T and G) that when it does get to something that includes me, I will be at my quota for the month and not able to participate. SO I now have to pick and choose. I wish I would've made it on in time for the Kwiz where you earned extra for having less than so many points sitting outside your bank. I would've cleaned up that day
And yes, I did realize that the number changes as we get new members. And so coincidental that it changed just at KatKwiz was going on today, and that they had a "T" in their username. If you do a search of the list right now, it will return a result of 9630!

And NO - I did not know that you picked the letter T because of what you are steak for dinner! We are having BLTs for dinner tonight. Good thing I am not in charge of the KatKwiz and KatKwery

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to the following website, http://www.swivel.com/graphs/show/11546988, and they list "T" as the second most popular letter. Then "a" comes in third. Followed by O, I, N then S....

I wouldnt have guessed N to be more frequently used than S.

Things that make ya go hmmm.... You know I will investigate this further

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, the next website I hit listed the letter frequency in a different order. But still indicating E as the most used letter by 13% and T as the second most used. It is interesting, makes you wonder where these different places are getting their information. What are they using as their source. I know there are different English dictionaries out there, but you would think they would be pretty close.

The one website I used even listed the letter "D" before the letter "L"! The percentage wasnt much of a difference, but still.

Love to do deciphering puzzles, like cryptoquip, and never thought of looking up letter frequency before. Although I of course do use the frequency skills and what *I* consider to be the most popular letters, words or letter combinations. Like double L's or N's etc.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, finally I ran across this website. Of course it is Wikipedia.

Did you know the letter frequency had a name?

ETAOIN SHRDLU (try pronouncing that three times, with your eyes closed, in a dark alley
)

It is the approximate order of frequency of the twelve most commonly used letters in the English language. Also known as a nonsense phrase.

And now we know.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We know that the number of members with a t in their username is around 9627 but would you now know how to find out how many members have a username that starts with the letter T?
PS - I almost forgot this one... The number of members whose usernames startes with the letter "T" is over 1400 at this very minute.

I went to the members list and clicked on the letter T at the top of the page, kind of like a tab it sorts the names by letter.

It displayed results 1-30 of 1414.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, the results: yes, yam102284 continued her amazing string by using week(ly). The fight for the first seed position remained status quo as glitch used never and marianjela used poor. Luvmycat1 used trash and BelongsToEvie used regular(ly). ANOTHER CLEAN SWEEP! There are only 22 days left and I hope we have a day with no winners because the next day there would be 1400 point questions which would be awesome right now!
umm... Lee? i used 'regular' - before BelongsToEvie did.

no, i've never noticed - i've noticed they're looking off, but assumed they were looking at the puzzle. but i do know what the most frequent 5 non-vowels are - R, S, T, L & N [very possibly in that order, as well!]. i wasn't here early enough to do the quiz - work is much busier for me this year, so i'm pretty much only on in the evenings, now. i think i'd be able to find out usernames that started w/T - assuming i wanna know... but i do know i wanna piece of the steak!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laureen, maybe your username switches to mine sometimes!

I guess I gotta start answering before you do!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Laureen, maybe your username switches to mine sometimes!

I guess I gotta start answering before you do!
no, it's probably part of the 'conspiracy'!
last time, your post was an earlier time, but a different day - but this time, yours was directly under mine!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay, now I know you're nuts! Wheel of forture... long before my time!

So Ill roll with it and see what I do happen to know! Ive never really watched wheel of fortune intentionally! I mean... Uhmm... I dont know its something my grandma watches! I have been told though that the bord was not real but that never made any sence to me! So what are they looking at?? Thin air?? Just totally confuses me! I didn't know E was the most popular letter in the english language but it makes me wonder what letters are more important in the other languages out there, like spanish. I didn't even have a minute to look at the katkwiz today but it must of been interesting and a learning experience! I hate missing the good stuff! Wow thats cool, did your DW make one for me too?? Im hungry!! People always be talking about food! So now I wonder how many cat people really watch wheel of fortune! Is that even still being made?? I thought that game show was over or something!
Haha omg this has to be some sort of conspiracy! I know nothing about this! I know how to get the number of members with a t in it but not all this mumbo jumbo and there are some pretty big words being thrown around right now!
ETAOIN SHRDLU??? What does that mean in the english language?? Is it english?? Did I miss something in high school?? Im bowwing out tonight to those who know more on the subject, I always heard english was the hardest language to learn but I guess I forgot how complicated it is even for those of us who naturally speak it! (I didn't say I spoke it well, cuz I obviously failed language arts a bunch of times!)
And I sure hope this AINT the way it goes down because playing against marienjela is going to SUCK!! haha its been one of those days!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, the results: yes, yam102284 continued her amazing string by using week(ly). The fight for the first seed position remained status quo as glitch used never and marianjela used poor. Luvmycat1 used trash and Laureen227 used
regular(ly). ANOTHER CLEAN SWEEP! There are only 22 days left and I hope we have a day with no winners because the next day there would be 1400 point questions which would be awesome right now!

Ha hah, I think I just set some kind of record! Not only do you not normally lose points in KatKwery, I've lost TWO sets of points now!
Let's not go for a triple play here, 'kay, Persi & Alley?

Boy, Wheel of Fortune... Haven't watched that in years! Is it still on? I never clued in on the fact that they were looking at something we couldn't see. I always just thought it was the board with the phrase on it. So there's yet another board they look at?

I did know that e was the most used letter in the English language. In fact, in school, I remember reading two short paragraphs. One, that only uses the vowel e. The other, that has no e in it. I tried to find them, but couldn't only find the one without e, which isn't as impressive to me. It was really weird reading an entire (albeit short) paragraph with only one vowel!!

I had an idea how to find the answer to the KatKwiz, but didn't actually confirm it. Well, until you told us, anyway!
I figured it was something to do with the member's list.

Did not know that was your reason. In fact, I was wondering why that letter! All I could think of was T cells... But your reason is a great one! Yummy... My question for you is, you do know that by talking about yummy food, you are required to share with us, right??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

If I had to guess what the second most popular letter was, I would guess "S".
Yes, I am now going through the replies to see if there is going to be a change in positions. But first I am going to interject that N is the second most used letter. Not that it matters. And now, let's see what happens - make sure I do not make any mistakes, that is up to you! It has happened more than once and thankfully I have been PM'd each time so I am confident that the standings are in proper order. I hope this race is as exciting to you players as it is for me!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

umm... Lee? i used 'regular' - before BelongsToEvie did.
Yes, and I stand corrected. You have been credited in the standings and BelongsToEvie has been notified. And now the question is, did you get a secret word today?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Okay, now I know you're nuts! Wheel of forture... long before my time!
It is NOT before your time! It is still being broadcast with new programs. That would be like me saying Lucy is before my time even though there has not been a new Lucy in about fifty years.
And now I must search through your reply because I can already tell you that marianjela just may be moving past you!