My designer dog: The Shepherman

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, today I heard three ladies discussing how awesome, and expensive their designer “poo†dogs were. You know the dogs that have poodle in them I think. I have nothing against them of course, as I love all dogs. I joined in the conversation and decided I would make a joke of my mangy mutt and said he was a designer dog called a “sheperman†(Doberman/Shepherd). They ignored me since they were friends and I was the outcast (this was waiting for the elevator at work)

Anyway they started talking about how their designer dogs were hundreds of dollars and they had to wait months because the breeder was #1 blah blah blah. They then asked me about my “sheperman†and how much he cost. I said he cost $125 donation to the SPCA and I had to wait months too because he was full of parasites.

Lets just say the conversation ended, I think I ruined their snobby fun ( I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t mean too! I thought they would laugh) later walking out I saw them and gave them a friendly smile and they looked away LOL

I felt like I was in high school with my dirty mutt and they were the popular girls with all the cool, pretty stuff LOL. Oh well, I thought it was funny, as long as I had a laugh.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to laugh with you on this one!! if only those people realized they were paying hundreds of dollars for what is basically a mutt! and IMO, people that "breed" these designer dogs are not real breeders

I think you have the most gorgeous Sheperman EVER!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may not be laughing months from now. Not only are those dogs not 'hypoallergenic' as sometimes advertised, a lot of the breeders aren't good about doing health screening. Sure, the puppies are cute, but then again just about all puppies are cute.
I got my mystery pound puppy for $90 from the shelter and a Golden from a rescue for $250. I got the best friends I ever could have asked for. Not one day has gone by that they haven't put a smile on my face.

Good for you and your Shepherman!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It makes me sad when people DO wait months on a waiting list, and spend hundreds (sometimes thousands!) of dollars for a bonified mutt, with a 'fancy name'...

And half of them probably wind up in the shelter anyway, because the people weren't prepared for the hair, energy, or other necessary needs of the dog.

The woman I work for is one of those goofy proud mutt breeders too...and it doesn't seem to matter to her that there are so many dogs in shelters, while she is charging hundreds of dollars for her mutt puppies, and STUD SERVICE (to breed more mutt puppies!!!). It breaks my heart...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have just told them. "Sorry but your so-called "designer dog" is nothing more then a glorified mixed breed mutt that can be found in the local shelter. Too bad you were ripped off for hundreds of dollars."

Then smile and walk away

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

They then asked me about my “sheperman” and how much he cost. I said he cost $125 donation to the SPCA and I had to wait months too because he was full of parasites.
OMG that's too funny!!!!

If I had have been listening I would joined in and told them how my favourite breed was a PitLab Shepherd, they set you back about $100 and are a dime a dozen around here.

I laugh when people talk about their "purebred cockerpoo's"
Back in my day, that was called a mutt!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol thanks all for the compliments on my mangy designer mutt LOL. Too bad the ladies didn’t have a sense of humor. I always did find the designer dogs a bit ridiculous. I remember when they first came out they were great! People who had allergies now had different choices in dogs… BUT now its just stupid… like come on… you had to wait months for a mutt? For hundreds and hundreds of dollars? Sheesh!

Ill stick to my smelly, scaredy cat, bee eating, goofy Sheperman! Maybe next time ill name him a Sheperman-poo just to belong LOL.

PS instead of putting his pics here ill post the links with all his pics.. That’s mah babe!
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Bruno

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cute little Sheperman
Bless

IMHO I'm not keen on designer dogs, but I have to say that Puggles are adorable!

(Pug x Beagle)

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would have just told them. "Sorry but your so-called "designer dog" is nothing more then a glorified mixed breed mutt that can be found in the local shelter. Too bad you were ripped off for hundreds of dollars."

Then smile and walk away
Maybe deep down, they knew this and were ashamed that you reminded them of it.

I love your Sheperman.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Maybe deep down, they knew this and were ashamed that you reminded them of it.

I love your Sheperman.
Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what I think. They were showing off their expensive prizes that Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sure some people have been impressed with. Here I am, with the same type of situation (being a mutt) and I am making fun of how dirty and cheap he was (even though he is priceless to me). I think I cramped their style

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen "Puggles" in our area - there is a little similarity, but most of the litters look different as they are NOT purebred dogs. Sad that people think its ok to charge 200-300 for these mutts!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruno is just adorable!
I am a sucker for Shephard mixes.

It just cracks me up how you can put an official "name" on a mix and all of a sudden it is a designer animal. When I lived in Guam, a friend of mine moved back to the states and took a stray cat they adopted with him. He didn't know she was pregnant when he moved, but after quarentine was done, he had a cat and 5 kittens. He advertised them as "Purebred Guamanian Boonie Cats" and sold them for $200 each. No papers and not false advertising becuase they WERE purebred....purebred kitty mutts! Hey, this was in LA (and kitties in Guam are just as sweet!).

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

"Purebred Guamanian Boonie Cats" and sold them for $200 each. No papers and not false advertising becuase they WERE purebred....purebred kitty mutts! Hey, this was in LA (and kitties in Guam are just as sweet!).
LOL people are so stupid! Put a fancy name on an animal and they will think it is the greatest thing and HAVE to have it to show off to there friends! I grew up in the LA area people there are just insane!

Bruno is too cute! I love the ears!!
I have a black lab/shepard mix what would she be called?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

I have a black lab/shepard mix what would she be called?
A Laphard?

My sister has a Jack Russell x Chihuahua (hyper little scardy mommy's-boy!), she calls him her Jackahuahua.
They did get a "designer" dog
at her husband's insistence - a Bugg (Boston Terrier x Pug). Natasha is a cutie-patootie, and my sister holds no false impressions. She knows that she's a mutt too.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was funny!

Awww...he's adorable! I love Shepherd mixes too. I call mine a LaSheplie -a lab/shepherd/border collie, but that's just a guess. She cost $60 at the local shelter and I wouldn't trade her for any designer dog.

Our cousins have a Jack Russell/Shih Tzu mix from the shelter that they call a Jack....never mind.
Seriously.

I wonder how those ladies would feel if they saw the conditions their dogs were most likely born in.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Vizslab! Vizsla Lab mix!

Yeah it annoys me when I hear about the designer dogs... I told a co-worker who has a Labradoodle that 10 yrs ago that it was considered a mutt and they would have never breed the poodle again because it was "tainted" and we could get them all day long in the paper for free

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I have to laugh with you on this one!! if only those people realized they were paying hundreds of dollars for what is basically a mutt! and IMO, people that "breed" these designer dogs are not real breeders

I think you have the most gorgeous Sheperman EVER!
I had to laugh too, because as you stated, so many people think they are getting a so called "pure bred" when in reality, they are getting nothing more than a mixed breed that costs lots of money. Nothing wrong with a mixed breed or "mutt", but people pay so much money for these designer breeds and I don't think they realize there is no such thing as a pure breed, that is unless you get a pure wild dog, such a a wolf or as in my case, pure bobcat or cougar. And it seems now there are so many so called new breeds out there, not so much for cats as there are dogs. Nothing wrong with a "mutt", I don't even like that word. Some of them make the best companions