Yowling for no reason.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's perfectly healthy, he has plenty of food and water, but he goes on these jags when he will just yowl and yowl. He has a very loud voice, and makes a huge repotoire of sounds--really quite creative. He looks like a common grey tabby, but he must have some Siamese blood somewhere.

No, he doesn't want to be petted. No, he doesn't want to play. (Attempts are rebuffed/ignored.)

As you can imagine, it can be quite annoying and disturbing, especially when he does it at 3:00 am!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

He's perfectly healthy, he has plenty of food and water, but he goes on these jags when he will just yowl and yowl. He has a very loud voice, and makes a huge repotoire of sounds--really quite creative. He looks like a common grey tabby, but he must have some Siamese blood somewhere.

No, he doesn't want to be petted. No, he doesn't want to play. (Attempts are rebuffed/ignored.)

As you can imagine, it can be quite annoying and disturbing, especially when he does it at 3:00 am!
This I admit is hard to believe but true nonetheless.
Our two cats are fed 24/7.
But that is not good enough for Persi.
If the large bowl that they both share is not FULL, Persi will start with his yowls and will not stop until the bowl is filled. I can only imagine that when he sees the food level going down he starts worrying that Alley will eat the rest, or who could possibly know what goes on in a cat's mind and I am sure something is going on in Persi's mind about the level of food in that bowl when he decides to let go with his yowls!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

or who could possibly know what goes on in a cat's mind and I am sure something is going on in Persi's mind about the level of food in that bowl when he decides to let go with his yowls!
In his what?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

In his what?
Funny you should say that. Our old RB boy Nibs (Siamese) was a yowler. He'd usually cease and desist when I yowled back "Nibs, put a sock in it!" -- and often come running to claim a lap. But the yowling more often than not happened while he was on one of his frequent meanders around the house "looking for his mind" -- since he never seemed to be able to make it up and we figured that was because he didn't know where it was.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think Siamese has anything to do with it. It's just something some cat's enjoy doing - like how some babies love to hear themselves make noise.

I have a "talker", he loves to meow and will even argue with you.

There's not much you can do but ignore it, if you get up or show attention he'll have you trained. And there's always a reason, it may not make the slightest bit of sense to us but to the cat it's something worth yowling for.