What color is my cat?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I always thought Shareena was gray & white, but in looking at lists of colors on this site and links from this site, I don't see gray listed as an official color.

I'm posting a couple of pictures from when she was 3-4 months old because you can see the colors better. She has gotten darker as she's matured, but is still definitely not black. The white is also slightly off-white. You don't really notice it until you get her next to Miss Patchwillow who is, without question, black & white.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
'gray' cats [like my Mouse] are usually called blue... not sure if that's what you're looking for - maybe she's a blue & cream bicolor?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grey is called blue in cats and can range from very dark grey to a paler silvery grey, so you would call her a blue & white bicolour. They are both very pretty

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"grey" is called Blue in the cat fancy. But even in those 2 pictures she doesn't even look blue to me. Almost a weird chocolate color. I don't even get a dark blue out of it. If she is greyish looking in real life, then she would be blue/white.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

"grey" is called Blue in the cat fancy. But even in those 2 pictures she doesn't even look blue to me. Almost a weird chocolate color. I don't even get a dark blue out of it. If she is greyish looking in real life, then she would be blue/white.
Posting to the internet does something weird to the colors. It apparently has something to do with different monitors and browsers. The pictures look fine on my Mac using either Safari or Firefox.

Shareena is definitely a dark grey, no brown or red at all. Her mother was black and white. Not sure about the father. The mother's owner said there had been two different grey toms around and thought it could have been either of them.

I like blue, but I'll probably still describe her as "grey" to family and friends. They'd just look at me like
if I said "blue".

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby does too (on the blue vs grey). He says cats are not the color of Marge Simpson's hair

But I'll use both - like "you have a grey tabby, but its really called blue in the cat fancy".

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Gray isn't a color... blue is... But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will fill you in with the right color soon.
Why isn't grey a color?

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

'gray' cats [like my Mouse] are usually called blue... not sure if that's what you're looking for - maybe she's a blue & cream bicolor?
Grey Tabby's are not blue.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Grey is called blue in cats and can range from very dark grey to a paler silvery grey, so you would call her a blue & white bicolour. They are both very pretty
Sometimes I feel color blind! I thought I knew what grey is!

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Posting to the internet does something weird to the colors. It apparently has something to do with different monitors and browsers. The pictures look fine on my Mac using either Safari or Firefox.

Shareena is definitely a dark grey, no brown or red at all. Her mother was black and white. Not sure about the father. The mother's owner said there had been two different grey toms around and thought it could have been either of them.

I like blue, but I'll probably still describe her as "grey" to family and friends. They'd just look at me like
if I said "blue".
I have a mostly "Russian Blue" cat. Looks grey to me!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat fancy once upon a time decided that the word grey was just too "grey"!

Thus, all grey cats are "blue" and shades of "blue"...so you got Blue, Lilac and Lavender.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A judge at a HHP cat show I was in (referring to the color one owner had listed in their cat's entry form) said, "Squirrels are grey. Cats are blue."

There is also another "grey" color in cats- silver.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd never call "silver" a grey color
Silver is more sparkle whitish. Unless you are calling a heavy tipped shaded silver cat "grey"......

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'd never call "silver" a grey color
Silver is certainly not blue, they are very different colours.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what you could possibly call silver except a shade of shiny grey? I didn't call it blue at all.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well IMO there is no grey cast of color on a silver. Its basically a whitish cat. Friends of ours have a Silver Tabby ASH and there is NO hint of any grey shade to that cat.