Scrappy - special needs pup

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Scrappy-Doo, apparently named after a Scooby-Doo character. Prior to Scrappy's arrival, I didn't even know there was such a character!

Scrappy was dumped outside the wildlife rescue centre my friend works at. Technically, "wildlife" does not include domestic animals, but they took him in anyway because its obvious that no one else would.

Scrappy has deformed hindlegs and a deformed left front leg, not sure if this is a birth defect or a cause of malnutrition when he was young. He is still young, 3 months of age. He's got such a cute worried frowny face and will probably grow into a big boy. Unfortunately, the bigger he gets, the harder it will be for him to stand and remain standing, unless early therapy works miracles. (I tempted him to walk toward me with chunks of raw beef last evening. Works like a charm
)

Scrappy spends most of his time lying down and pulling himself around with his front paws, but will also stand up and walk about for short periods of time. Walking about is good for him, and the folks who look after him encourage this at least once every half-hour. Here are pix! Sorry, lousy quality...

Being Scrappy is stressful, always having to worry about where the next meal is coming from

Relaxing on cool tiles

A shot of his hindlegs taken as he checked out his reflection in the mirror

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh gosh!! the poor little guy
I hope his therapy helps him tremendously

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That poor baby boy, his eyes look so deeply sad. Thank God there are people like you and your friends that will help this poor baby. Sending so many positive vibes that the miracle happens and this guy finds quality of life

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

That poor baby boy, his eyes look so deeply sad. Thank God there are people like you and your friends that will help this poor baby. Sending so many positive vibes that the miracle happens and this guy finds quality of life
oh my he really does look as though he has had something truly awful happen to him. do you know for sure that his problems aren't through abuse? how is he around people?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words, but it won't be fair for me to accept such praise. I hardly see Scrappy since I work longer hours than the folks at the wildlife rescue, and Scrappy needs to go home with the boss.

Thanks for the link on hydrotherapy, 2dogmom
They know someone who owns a boarding house which has a pool at the back, and will be bringing Scrappy there to help his legs

Scrappy looks absolutely miserable, but he's really quite a happy dog. Each time someone comes near him, his little face lights up and he smiles at everyone. Feet give him a sense of security, so he likes to shuffle himself near to someone's foot and lay his chin or rest a paw on the foot

I don't think he's been abused, given the fact that he's very trusting and happy to be surrounded by people. The vet thinks its a birth deformity.