why does my cat ..

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a kitten who is now 4 months old we have given her different types wet and dry , she eats everything but when she is done with it she trys to cover it like she does her poop .. why does she do this ?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS
! This is very common for kittens, most grow out of it. Basically they are saving their left overs for later as well as marking the area as theirs! When wild, they would bury the left over food of their catch and go back to it later....... Silly kitties
Many kitty behaviors we look at as love and affection are also territorial and dominance such as rubbing on our legs, head butting, licking, kneading and more!

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats in the bathroom. I have to be careful about the location of the bathmat; if it's on the floor and too close to the food, the bathmat will often end up covering the food! This has essentially stopped since I stopped free-feeding my cats, and I don't actually see these cats trying to cover the food, but sometimes they do quite a good job!

It is a bit strange that your cat does this when there isn't any food leftover, and it's fairly likely that your cat will grow out of it. It's cute, though, isn't it?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dish still smells like food. Wild cats bury their food not only so they can keep it for later but to hide the smell from other predators that may be attracted into their territory by the smell. My guess is that it's just a throw back to that, or the kitten doesn't know the bowls are completely empty.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

I feed my cats in the bathroom. I have to be careful about the location of the bathmat; if it's on the floor and too close to the food, the bathmat will often end up covering the food! This has essentially stopped since I stopped free-feeding my cats, and I don't actually see these cats trying to cover the food, but sometimes they do quite a good job!

It is a bit strange that your cat does this when there isn't any food leftover, and it's fairly likely that your cat will grow out of it. It's cute, though, isn't it?
Actually not strange at all that she does this behavior even when finished her food. It is just as much of a dominant, territorial behavior as a instinctive survival behavior and more then likely will grow out of it.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you !
i was starting to think that she was trying to tell me that didnt like the food or something like that
but im really glad that you have cleared that out for me !

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Radar has always been an absolute horror for this, he's over 2 years old now, they don't all grow out of it! I can't leave socks anywhere because he will use them to 'bury' his bowl even if it is empty, and on several occasions he has tried to pull my foot into his bowl

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I can't leave socks anywhere because he will use them to 'bury' his bowl even if it is empty, and on several occasions he has tried to pull my foot into his bowl
Do you think he may be trying to tell you something?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Do you think he may be trying to tell you something?
Possibly!
Living on the 3rd floor I have to hang clothes to dry indoors so he has easy access to them, there's nothing more annoying than finding a newly laundered sock sitting in the remains of the cats' dinner

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

there's nothing more annoying than finding a newly laundered sock sitting in the remains of the cats' dinner
How about finding the pair of undies you somehow dropped when putting up laundry in the litter box?

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a predatory response; she doesn't want YOU to find it (as you are viewed as a predator as well), she also doesn't want any other predators to find it, or her.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

How about finding the pair of undies you somehow dropped when putting up laundry in the litter box?
OK you win, undies in the litter tray is worse

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
.. putting away all laundry asap now !!

now that you mention it she does sometimes try to bury her food before eating it ..but then she comes back and eats it later and shes done it with every type of food i have given her and mind you shes quite big for her age
ill post some pictures up soon