*****KatKwery! - Sep. 8*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My wordfinder missed the word hope the first time through and it looked like marianjela was going to take over. But I always double check so glitch continues to hold on to the first seed. Marianjela used 150,000 which is not exactly a word but DW picked that as being a logical response, however she won by using the word find. Laureen227 kept up her winning ways by using guess and *Pepper* used know.

To answer the question about the KatKwery payout, it is controlled by contributions to KatKwiz. Whenever the Kats receive a contribution, 10% goes to the KatKwery payoff. I started the payout with 100,000 points. Last Christmas Eve I had exactly 6 points.

Today's KatKwiz was about a subject I know only too well, Cat Hair!

It seems like we have had a lot of confession boothes lately, but how often do you groom each of your cats? What type of equipment do you use? Do you also give your cats the "dreaded bath"? Do you ever or have you ever considered giving your cat a lion cut or some other type of exotic trim? Do you do anything special with the hair you comb and brush out?*

*I forgot to pull out my 20 gallon garbage bag full of Persi's hair the other night at show and tell time for KatKlik. I am now on the second such bag.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

My wordfinder missed the word hope the first time through and it looked like marianjela was going to take over. But I always double check so glitch continues to hold on to the first seed. Marianjela used 150,000 which is not exactly a word but DW picked that as being a logical response, however she won by using the word find. Laureen227 kept up her winning ways by using guess and *Pepper* used know.

To answer the question about the KatKwery payout, it is controlled by contributions to KatKwiz. Whenever the Kats receive a contribution, 10% goes to the KatKwery payoff. I started the payout with 100,000 points. Last Christmas Eve I had exactly 6 points.

It seems like we have had a lot of confession boothes lately, but how often do you groom each of your cats? What type of equipment do you use? Do you also give your cats the "dreaded bath"? Do you ever or have you ever considered giving your cat a lion cut or some other type of exotic trim? Do you do anything special with the hair you comb and brush out?*

*I forgot to pull out my 20 gallon garbage bag full of Persi's hair the other night at show and tell time for KatKlik. I am now on the second such bag.
Thanks for the points!! My cats get bathed often and combed often but I dont really do anything with their claws, BooBoo has no claws *I didn't know at the time what declawing actually did to them and my family was pressuring me because I had just had my first baby and they said he would scratch the baby.... He didn't, but I accidently did*
I would rather take my cats to the groomer than do it myself, but I have a slicker brush for their coats specially designed for cats, I dont mind my other 2 cats scratching the furniture so I do nothing with their claws! My Eek actually has come to enjoy his bath! So I give him baths regularly! When they had ringworm or something like that two of the 3 cats came down with it and they had to be bathed daily! I wouldn't normally bath a cat more than 3-4 times a year though, their fur needs the natural oils that are produced and washing them away would not be good for them! They keep themselves rather clean also! I would never do any kind of special cut for their fur because they are all shorthaired kitties, so they are unable to trim up and give a hair cut! As for the fur, the only fur Ive ever done anything special with is Glitch's fur after he passed away, I kept a lock of it so I would have a part of him physically with me instead of just in my head and heart! They also make these handy dandy cat wipes, they're like baby wipes except made for cats fur coats! So you can clean anything up rather easy! But my boys really do keep themselves pretty clean, and they help keep each other clean too! When I had a long hair kitty he had the lions cut naturally! Occasionally we would have to cut a couple matts out but if you comb them regularly they dont normally get them! BooBoo has a tendoncy to get a matt on his back the begining of spring each year! Then the first time he goes outside he gets a sunburn on his bald spots on the top of his head where over time his hair has thinned out! The poor guy needs sunscreen! My cats also dont have the shed factor going on real bad, I dont know why but I guess brushing their hair out every once and a while really keeps it under control with short haired kitties! Normally the matt that BooBoo gets once a year I can comb out instead of having to cut out! I think he gets it because during the winter he tends to put on a couple pounds and maybe he can't reach well, but it only ever happens once a year so I think its weird!! The last 3 cats I have gotten I had hoped for long hair, with Glitch he started out the usual way with long hair and then he ended up with what the vets called Medium Haired! HoBoJax and Eek went from fuzzy to short haired, so I still havn't gotten my long haired yet!! Im curious to see how many people groom their cats and how they do it! I use a special cat shampoo that I get from the vet to bathe mine rather than human shampoo because that would be too hard on their skin!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I really don't brush Popsie a whole lot. He's a short haired cat and he doesn't get a lot of hairballs. I have never tried giving him a bath, I value my skin.
Never thought about trimming his fur either but I love it when long haired cats have the lion cut, it's so cute. I throw Popsie's hair in the trash when I brush him.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems like we have had a lot of confession boothes lately, but how often do you groom each of your cats? What type of equipment do you use? Do you also give your cats the "dreaded bath"? Do you ever or have you ever considered giving your cat a lion cut or some other type of exotic trim? Do you do anything special with the hair you comb and brush out?
I really haven't had to do much in the grooming department. Mine are still young and short hair. They have had baths once. I wouldn't have to cut or anythigng since again, they are short hair lol. Sometimes I will brush the hair just to get them used to it and to get off dead hairs. I will also clip there nails, I use nail scissors so it makes it easy!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, since we're confessing, I dont groom my cats that often. Though they are longer haired cats, they dont mat easily. We will brush them out on the deck sometimes when they seem to be shedding too much. I almost never give them baths unless one of them gets into something, or should I say unless my youngest son gets into them
Even then it's my youngest daughter, the ultimate animal lover, who braves that battle. I've tried the bath in a bottle stuff, that you only have to spray on them and not rinse. Oh yeah - what a joke, should've known better. A cat does not like to be sprayed, even if it is in a bottle. We do give the foster kittens baths though, to get them used to it in case their next owner wants to continue that. I imagine it is dependent on the particular breed of cat you have, some cats require bathing more than others. Some not. My cats are all moggies, or mutts as I call them, or politically correct - domestic medium hairs.

I do trim their claws myself though. I just use regular ole nail clippers. If you start doing it when they are young, and do it regularly, they get used to it and dont put up a struggle.

Usually, when the cats do need a brushing, we have several combs, slickers, rakes, brushes and matting tools. We acquired these over the years from grooming our dog though. A hundred pounds of molting undercoat that thing is. If he's not groomed on a regular basis, then my carpet would be a woolly black bear and my vacuum would go on strike. The last short haired foster cat we had loved to be brushed. She didnt really have any hair to brush, but she loved the attention. I also invested in one of those grooming gloves/mittens. This is a nice way to just sit and pet the fur out, but it's not as effective as a rake for getting out the undercoat.

I have never given my cat a funky or exotic hair cut. My grandmother had some poodles that she took to the groomer for hair styles
And one of my best friends has a dog (dont even know what the heck he is) but she has a traveling groomer come to her house and shaves him up twice a year. Pays more for it than I pay for my own hair cuts!

I've never ever dreamed of having a cat done. I trim Chewbacca's (our dog) fur myself. Every since he was a wee puppy. In particular I trim the fur that grows too long on his feet and around his paw pads. But I also learned how to cut the fur on his hocks. Another friend of mine, took her Newfoundland to a professional groomer and they hacked him up! They had an intern that used a razor comb to get out some of his mats and they ended up cutting the poor dog.

I have read about saving fur and having it spun and woven into yarn. For dogs, they call it Cheingora or something like that. I tried to save Chewbacca's undercoat because I wanted to learn the art of spinning 'wool'. But after learning how to do it, I quickly decided it might be too much for me and went out in search of someone to do it for me. I found a few artisans that would spin clean fur into yarn, one in particular on eBay. So I started saving his fur. The spinner suggested that when I ship it to her that I vacuum the air out of the bag to reduce the volume when shipping. Anyway, I saved grocery bag after grocery bag of hair and my youngest son got into it and shredded it all_over my living room. I was so upset. It looked like black snow in there! Anyway, every time I groom him I think of starting all over, it would be neat to knit a scarf or sweater coat/jacket or crochet a blanket using yarn from his fur. It would be a wonderful piece of memorabilia and immortalize him sorta. I dread the thought of starting over only to have it ruined again. I like your idea of storing it in a garbage container or maybe even a Rubbermaid of sorts. I think I might set out to do this again. It would take me a lot longer to get the fur I needed to have spun using cat fur (even though there are more of them) than using dog hair... not to mention there are limitations on the type of hair that can be spun. It isnt really the guard hairs they use, but the soft undercoat. And it has to be a certain length in order for it to weave correctly. But really it is spun together.

Anyway, guess I've gone on enough once again. I might be back

Thanks for the points again Lee!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It seems like we have had a lot of confession boothes lately, but how often do you groom each of your cats? What type of equipment do you use? Do you also give your cats the "dreaded bath"? Do you ever or have you ever considered giving your cat a lion cut or some other type of exotic trim? Do you do anything special with the hair you comb and brush out?
I do Persi every day with both a brush and a fine toothed comb. I rarely (not more than weekly) brush Alley and get very little for my effort. One of my favorite things in life is to get on here and complain about how much hair Persi produces. When I am done grooming Persi, I cannot help but stick my face into his beautiful neck hair, it smells so good because Alley gets the areas he misses. Alley also never has any kind of odor so - well - here I am in the confession booth, I have never bathed either. Persi is my tenth cat in my lifetime and I have never had a longhaired before. I just love his long hair so much I could never cut it at all. In fact I wish it was even longer and even more of a pain in the *** to groom. The last question was tailor made for me, I have been saving his hair for two years now. You can expect at some date in the future a picture of me and Persi, and well, another Persi too if you get my point.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I groom both my cats about once a week, or every other week. They didn't really like getting groomed at first, but they're getting used to it. I brush their fur using the Furminator and I love it. It gets a lot of hair out and has cut down on Kairi's shedding. She used to shed so much, but since using the Furminator, it has really gone down. At first they didn't like Furminator but I've gotten used to how I do it with them. First I brush them with the plastic cap thingy on, and then once they're used to that, I take the cap off and regularly brush them. Kairi was really enjoying it yesterday when I brushed her; Namine not so much.

I've never given our cats a bath. I don't really feel the need to, since they're both short-haired and never have any issues with their coats. And I've never given them a special cut or even thought about it. I just brush them like normal to cut down on the shedding.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes during shedding season especially, I will brush Chewbacca every day. I've tried the fine toothed combs, but for him the rakes work much better for my efforts. I usually do it outside on the deck, and I always imagine that the stray hairs that get away the neighborhood birds use to make their nests with!

I probably would brush the cats more often if they were as tolerant as Chewbacca, also if I could take them outside easier. I hate the hair that flies around when I am trying to groom them, so taking them out is the most convenient. If I had a short haired cat I suppose I would rarely brush them, although, like I said earlier, the short-haired foster we had loved to be brushed, and I did it on a nightly basis. It was actually relaxing as I didnt have to worry about the fur flying around, or mats and hairballs

One of the foster kittens I have now gets a funky odor every now and again. She gets bathed pretty regularly because of this. She is an excessive digger and spends WAY too much time in the kitty litter box, I think this is where her offensive smell originates. She's the cuddliest little kitten too, but I hate to hold her when she smells like a toilet!

I agree with you Lee. When I was growing up as a child, my father want a big cat person, but the few cats we had were always short haired. My first cat as an adult on my own was a long-haired blue polydactyl. He was the love of my life and I loved his fur coat! I think he looked like a lion even without a hair cut - he had a natural think mane of fur. And after he was neutered he just got fluffier and cuddlier! Anyway, I was hooked. I know a lot of people prefer short-haired cats because they cant tolerate the shedding, but for me the benefits outweigh the risks.

I am glad you brought up the subject of spinning fur. It has inspired me to start saving Chewy's fur again. I always wonder how many bags of fur it will take me to make an afghan or something. Hmmm... I suppose if you weighed it in ounces you could predict how many skeins you would get. Not to mention that Chewbacca is all black so I dont think I would crochet a blanket that solid color, so I would probably throw in some other synthetic yarns, or maybe spring for the real wool yarns to compliment the design. Who knows. Maybe I should start saving Roly's fur and mix in some orange!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i comb Pixel & Chip when i think of it - they're the only 2 that really need regular grooming of any kind. the other 3 have quite short coats - Java's is really thin, as well. Pixel & Chip, while shorthaired, have fairly thick coats & both are a bit prone to matting [especially Chip!]. i use a human-type plastic comb most of the time, altho i also have a zoom groom. i just think i get better results w/the comb. Pixel seems to enjoy it - Chip doesn't. i only bathe when they need it [which, thankfully, is seldom!] - Firefox got several baths as a kitten - she had fleas + a skin condition that required regular baths w/a vet prescribed shampoo. i used wet-wipes on Mouse when she was very sick - she peed on herself during a vet visit, plus i was dosing her w/a sticky liquid that would get on her fur. she was ill, & not grooming herself. she, like Chip, was prone to matting, but [unlike Chip] she enjoyed the attention [before she was ill]! i have considered getting Chip a lion cut - he's so contrary when i try to comb him! but he's gotten better as he's come to trust me. i pretty much just toss any hair i get into the trash!

ETA: Cable, Java & Firefox also get their claws clipped. Cable is very good about this - Java less so. Firefox growls & hisses at me the whole time!
Pixel & Chip are both declawed.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, this is so close! I hope the play offs get here quickly, I can't stand the suspense!
Yay to all the winners!
Man, I wasn't far off. 140,000 vs 150,000. Guess I shouldn't win since mine wasn't quite as positive!

I probably don't groom Evie as much as I should. We bathe her every few months, but she doesn't appreciate the brush, so we don't brush her as often as we could. But we do trim her nails regularly, which is all part of grooming! I try to start my fosters off on the right foot, too, by bathing, brushing, and trimming them regularly- how often depends on their age and how long I have them, of course!

Ah, but real life calls. Must go pick up hubby, go grocery shopping, and make dinner.
If I have time, I will finish later! If not, we'll see how lucky I get with only one question answered!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part Deux!

Let's see, what kind of equipment do I use? Um... Kitty shampoo for the baths. Either kitty or baby nail trimmers, depending on who I'm trimming and what's closest!
And... We have a kitty brush we sometimes use. Yeah, I'm a pro-groomer!

Oh yes, we give the baths! The nasty, evil baths. We are kitty abusers. I'd post proof but I'm afraid I'd get scolded for having a picture of a kitty not in the Cat Lounge section! I am deathly allergic to any non-Evie kitty (ok, that may be a bit of an exaggeration...), and before I adjusted to Evie, I was dealthy allergic to her! So we definitely had to bathe her. Besides, it's good they can handle it. Good training, and it keeps them clean, and this way they are easier to wash if something comes up, like they get in something that can't stay on them.

Nope, never considered giving Evie any of that sort of trim. For two reasons. One, she doesn't really need it. Maybe if I had a long haired cat I would, but other than trimming her bum so those poop ornaments don't stick to her, she doesn't need to be trimmed. And two? I'm kind of stingy and not big on looks (it's the inside that counts!
), so even if I did need to trim a cat (like I need to trim my dog), I'd probably just do a hack job myself!
Besides, she'd HATE going to a groomers. So no exotic cuts for her!

Special with the hair? Hmm... Does dog hair count? Once, when I was much younger and still lived with my parents. I was up late doing a homework assignment, a large project. While it was printing (back in the day when fast printers weren't so fast), I got BORED. Everyone else was asleep. To try to stay awake, I started using my hands to roll up the dog fur on the floor. (We vacuumed often, but it's never enough, as I'm sure you know!) With nothing better to do, I rolled it in to long rolls, like logs, and used those to spell out "HI MOM" on the carpet in the hallway!
My mom got a kick out of it when she woke up the next morning! (She's the first up) Other than that? No, just toss it.

Now, just watch. Even adding a few paragraphs I still won't get that magic word!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Oh, this is so close! I hope the play offs get here quickly, I can't stand the suspense!
Yay to all the winners!
Man, I wasn't far off. 140,000 vs 150,000. Guess I shouldn't win since mine wasn't quite as positive!

I probably don't groom Evie as much as I should. We bathe her every few months, but she doesn't appreciate the brush, so we don't brush her as often as we could. But we do trim her nails regularly, which is all part of grooming! I try to start my fosters off on the right foot, too, by bathing, brushing, and trimming them regularly- how often depends on their age and how long I have them, of course!

Ah, but real life calls. Must go pick up hubby, go grocery shopping, and make dinner.
If I have time, I will finish later! If not, we'll see how lucky I get with only one question answered!
I could not help but getting on here and mentioning that even though four of the secret words had already been used by the time you got here, you were still somehow able to find that one word not used yet. So, it has been proved again that just because five people have already answered, you still have a shot at it! Complete details in the KatKwery thread for today.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yay!!
I can't wait for details!!

HEY, you mean to tell me that my long winded "part deux" wasn't necessary after all??
(Guess it's a good thing I like to ramble, anyway!
)