How long is it safe to.....

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...leave out canned food? Is there a certain amount of time if it's not eaten that I should throw it out??

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned food is meat, and meat (cooked meat) is generally ok sitting out for about 2 hours. I don't like leaving food out like that, including cat food. So I'd say an hour.

If your cat isn't finishing the food feed smaller amounts. One or two tablespoons at a time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not let it sit out more then 1/2 hour. If your cat is not eating all of the canned food you give, then cut back to what he/she is eating.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always get a chuckle from the usual answers to that qustion and the reasons for those responses.

If you want to hear what a Veterinarian has to say about this, have a read of the last three paragraphs (if not the whole article!) on this page of Dr. Lisa Pierson's website.

(I use the same protocol and find it works quite well. With the addition of extra water, you'll find that the food remains moister, longer.)

Remember, this method allows cats to do their "natural thing" - eat small, frequent wet meals through the 24-hour day. Better for urinary tract health, too!

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just reading that article that you posted, Blaise. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who leaves wet food out for hours. Buster and Holly don't like to eat their wet food all at once. They like to save it for hours at a time. They never get sick or vomit, so I guess I'm doing something right. Plus, they are both are very healthy in terms of weight. Nonetheless, I will toss the food out after 6 to 7 hours. It sucks that they are too spoiled to finish their wet food when there are so many starving cats on the street that would be happy with anything.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am with strange wings ... YMMV but most will state the cats wont eat anything left past an hour to 2 hours thus that is the max theshold here ...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

I was just reading that article that you posted, Blaise. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who leaves wet food out for hours. Buster and Holly don't like to eat their wet food all at once. They like to save it for hours at a time. They never get sick or vomit, so I guess I'm doing something right. Plus, they are both are very healthy in terms of weight. Nonetheless, I will toss the food out after 6 to 7 hours. It sucks that they are too spoiled to finish their wet food when there are so many starving cats on the street that would be happy with anything.
i feed the wet at night. in the morning, i scrape off any remains & give it to the ferals w/their morning dry. they [the ferals] scarf it right down.
this morning, i saw Cable eating some of the wet i'd put out last night.
i rarely find any upchucked food that isn't kibble.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I have one with a sensitive stomach and another with a sensitive GI - I don't want to risk any surprises waiting for me in the morning.

When you've been woke up by a cat sitting above your head about to vomit on you, you realize you must cater to his belly.

My method works well. They clean their dishes in 10-15 minutes. And if Sho is too slow, Tomas tries to come over to help him. 1/4th of a 5.5oz can a meal, don't feed after midnight to avoid stomach issues in the night (from them running around with full tummies) or either one of them turning into ugly little monsters (Gremlins
).

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do the same. I leave it out all day and all night replacing it with fress at mealtimes, The ferals get whatever is left of the old food (plus new if there isn't enough)