Oh dear. what do i do?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So i was sitting in my room with kitty. she started meowing and i noticed there's a big red blob coming out of her and she's licking it.

I tried putting her into the box I made but she ran out and jumped into my bed and burrowed in. So I'm going to let her have her kittens there.

But is that what it's suppose to look like? kind of a dark red balllooon??

ugh, i'm worried about he. she's meowing so loud.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dangit. I came out of the room to post this, and the blob is gone! i guess it went back inside? but there's a big wetspot on the bed so I think her water broek.

but now she's just laying there wanting me to pet her. there's nothing happening 'down there' again

I'm such a wreck. gonna be a long night
Also, could I just put her back in the box and turn the open hole to the wall? it'd lock her in there but I don't know if it would stress the birth.

man she sure doesn't seem to be in labor, but I can tell the babies are shifting and there is minor leakage.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

man I don't know what to think now. She's almost asleep. There's definitely something going on though because usually she'll climb anything to get to me then claw the crap out of me trying to climb on top of my head, but now she's just burrowing half way into the covers and closing her eyes. the discharge seems to have stopped for now.

I know I sound like a weenie but it's really important to me that I make this as smooth as possible for her. She's had a rough life.

It's also fantastic how she keeps moving from laying on the sheet where I put her to laying on either my expensive comforter or my only nice blanket!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww she's probably just having a rest before it starts off again?.

Your not a weenie, your a caring person who only wants the best for her after what she's been though, and i think it's great

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good, a momcat who won't stay in her box, sorry, but I had to laugh.....we bred Himalayans for years and the only way we could get our original queen to stay in the box was for my husband to sit in the floor next to the box and rub her belly.

Rosiemac gave you some of the best links that we have, nothing that I can really add to, and I know there's another breeder she's pm'd too, so just stay calm.....I know its hard, but will be easier on both of you if you can.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks both of you.

she was washing her bits awhile ago. but it was due to the discharge i'm sure.

She's sound asleep now :| and I'm wide awake.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh yeah its coming. she just made a real gutterall meow and i can see her stqrting contractions. they've stopped for now but it's definitely time

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I brought my laptop in the bedroom so I can sit her with her. Her contractions are not steady. she'll have a few then go back to sleep. then it'll come again. It's more like a human labor than I thought. But she's doing good.

It's not going to be ThAT messy on my blanket is it?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm here, I'm here!!!!!

Take a deep breath! NOt much you can do but wait I'm afraid. Couple of things:

1. Make sure she's secure (birthing box is in a safe, warm and dark place)
2. Line the box with sheets or even kitchen roll paper NOT towels. Towels can go underneath the sheets.

Take another deep breath and wait.

I'll be online if you need me!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I'm here, I'm here!!!!!

Take a deep breath! NOt much you can do but wait I'm afraid. Couple of things:

1. Make sure she's secure (birthing box is in a safe, warm and dark place)
2. Line the box with sheets or even kitchen roll paper NOT towels. Towels can go underneath the sheets.

Take another deep breath and wait.

I'll be online if you need me!
but she won't stay in the box. I made a nice one with about 20 old tshirts in it (all clean) and cut a big hole. she screams till she escapes then jumps on the bed and burrows in. I don't mind if she does it there, but can i just pick up her kittens and move them to the box afterward?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, what you do is move all the stuff onto the bed where she prefers to be (bless her she wuvs you!) Once she's done birthing (may take a long while) move ALL of them to the box!

Stuff means your old T-shirts!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might now respond again for a little while unless something goes wrong. She's got something sticking out her her that I assume is a kitten head. but there's a layer of mucous around it. I'm sure that's correct. she's having a rough time poor girl. now that it's coming. She cries until I reach in and hold her paw. I'm not kidding. then she licks it like crazy and stares at me when she makes those gutteral meows.

I'm sure we're on the right track though. Don't leave me though!!!!

by the way. is it ok if that head pokes out for a long time? it's been like 20 minutes. Doesn't it need to breath right away?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, I'll not leave you. Sounds like #1 is on it's way! Take another deep breath and seriously, just hold her paw and YOU rest!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you never seen a kitten birth? There's a video sticky up at the top of the kitten/pregnant cat page on this forum showing what it looks like.

The kitten is in a sack. It will look kind of like it has a condom over it. Mom cat needs to break that sack open and start licking on the kitten to dry it off, clean it up, and stimulate it. She will also cut the umbilical cord with her teeth. The kitten should move over and try to find a teat to cling to. (Any of those steps you can help with, if need be. Don't lick the kitten!) Shortly after this there should be a blob born that looks a little like a raw kidney. That's the placenta that was attached to the uterine wall and supported the kitten. Mom will eat it; I know, it's gross, but it's nature's way of compensating for the loss of energy.