Anyone else a Terry Pratchett fan?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just bought another Discworld book, Mort.

If he doesn't make you cynical about life in general, nothing will.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I've read "The Colour of Magic". It took me awhile to get into it as I'm not really into fantasy, but his humor is good and biting. And I did like the Luggage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it's hard to categorize Pratchett. It's not fantasy, and it's not science fiction; it's more like humorous absurdist philosophy in an alternate universe.

His observations about government are mordant and too true to be funny. No, wait, they're so true they're funny.

If you've read one of his books and haven't been jarred by his ridicule of something you believe in, you just haven't been paying attention.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've never really gotten into the Discworld series, but i really like/liked Good Omens.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pratchett will fool you.

This book is about Death (the Grim Reaper) taking on an apprentice, named Mort. (Do you see the irony there, already?)

Just after he hires Mort, they stop to eat dinner. Suddenly, Death gets a strange look on his skull and runs down an alley. He pulls a bag out of a water trough, unties it, removes a brick, and pours out three sodden, furry little bodies. He makes some little motions over them, and three little kitten-shaped wisps of smoke rise from them. "It makes me VERY angry, sometimes!" he says, as he tucks the three little wisps into his cloak. "You don't often see people at their best, in this job."

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the Diskworld novels!

Been reading them for the past 15 years! Took me a while to get into them... when I first started reading them as a teenager I was thinking ??? But then I caught the irony

It is such a pity Terry Pratchett has alhzeimers...

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think he's one of the few authors whose books get better the more he writes. My favourite book is Nightwatch, and I tend to prefer the ones set in Ankh-Morpork. Sam Vimes is my favourite character.
I must admit that sometimes I read a Discworld book, and only catch all the references months later when reading a book about Italy, or Genghis Khan.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Pratchett! I've read every discworld book (except the newest, waiting for paperback) and own most of them... I love Good Omens as well! Death is by far my favorite character, but there's so many story lines that I can liked someone in every book.

My Dad's also a huge fan and he'll read them at lunch and die laughing in the middle of some restaurant.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Omens is good, which leads to the question - Has anyone read more of Gaiman's work? I love his somewhat darker humor.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read a lot of the Discworld books. I also met Terry Pratchett once at a book signing but it was before I read any of his books...
I've read some of Gaiman's books too but not any of the graphic novels. My sister likes the Sandman books.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Good Omens is good, which leads to the question - Has anyone read more of Gaiman's work? I love his somewhat darker humor.
Read a few... I like the Sandman series... American Gods was fab.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Read a few... I like the Sandman series... American Gods was fab.
If you liked American Gods, you'll like this...
Last summer we went on a family vacation (me, my parents, my sister and her husband) to Wisconsin and we stopped at the House on the Rock. All of my family had read American Gods and they loved it. I still haven't read it yet but my sister told me they describe House on the Rock and especially the giant carousel. Everyone but me and my sister's husband had been there before. I loved it even without reading that book. It is so weird and slightly disturbing but interesting. They had a lot of automated music rooms and machines where you put in a coin and they play music complete with moving instruments and figures. It was slightly creepy because everything is old and dusty and most of the music rooms were just a little off-key or out of tune...

I took a video of the carousel (make sure your speakers are on):

I also made a slideshow of the House on the Rock tour photos I took:
http://www.slideroll.com/publish.php...browse=1&ref=0

A lot of the photos are really dark because the lighting is kept low and dim in the whole place!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

It was slightly creepy because everything is old and dusty and most of the music rooms were just a little off-key or out of tune...
So he describes in the book.
All his talk of pasties in American Gods made me realize how much I miss them.
I've been to Ironwood before, too.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

"Anansi Boys."

rincewind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mr Pratchett is a GOD...lol. Hence why I named our first cat after one of the Wyrd Sisters...Magrat! Also my user name is "Rincewind" too.

I have all his books on hardback and my favourite one is also Mort. I also have a tattoo on my ankle of a turtle not only is it a good grounding symbol but in homage to Great A'Tuin. My husband met him and have Good Omens and Mort signed by him.

i regressed deeply and started to read books by Garth Nix excellent for teenagers. Also hence why my 2nd cat is called Mogget!

"Million to one chances happen one in ten"

:-)