My kidney failure kitty. :(

kris4nu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been fighting what my vet thinks is PKD in my 7 year old male domestic shorthair. I started noticing a change in Jag about a month ago and it's gotten progressively worse. Not only are we doing sub q's for the kidney failure, but he's also severely anemic at this point (last hematocrit level was 13%). I'm devastated, scared, angry, frustrated, sad, depressed, shocked, and I'm terrified that Jag won't pull through. We're currently doing 150 mls of fluids every night, a pred tab, an antibiotic and Epogen injections every other day. The Epogen is new -- I've only given two doses (I have five preloaded syringes that I'm supposed to administer every other day). His CBC and Chem tests will be run again on Thursday.

It's just so heartwrenching to watch. I don't even want to go to work -- I just want to spend time with him because I'm so afraid we don't have much time left. He's very lethargic and splits his time between our kitchen table and my husband's office. I'm reading my way through the sticky post, but I guess I'm just wondering about other's experiences and how long it takes for your kitty to finally rebound? We've been doing Fluids for about 10 days now. I know a rebound won't be immediate but I guess I'm just grasping for some hope/reassurance at this point.

Any and all advice is greatly, GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you all so much in advance!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KRIS4NU

Thanks for the PM Bobbie! It was very sweet of you!
Now take heart! It will be okay. Sending Jag much love and prayers. My cats and I are faithful and will be sending prayers and good vibes all thru the day and night.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for your cat. Stripe had those shots when she had Crf. She had severe anemia and blood transfusions also. You can pm if you need to talk.
I also just lost Stormy to Kidney Failure at age 5 on Dec 5th. I can tell you more about Stripes treatmnets in a pm.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gone thru the CRF battle with a couple of my kitties, ranging in age from 6 y/o to 17 y/o.
It's just so heartwrenching to watch. I don't even want to go to work -- I just want to spend time with him because I'm so afraid we don't have much time left.
I understand this all too well; there were days I just couldn't leave my 6 y/o Belle (maybe because she was so young, maybe because she was so special, maybe both) I know you're getting lots of advice and personal stories from other members. I just wanted to send you and Jag some love and vibes, and wish you the best of luck.