Update on Samson -- I Am *So* Mad

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On Sat. the vet said Samson could come home, that he had *really* picked up, that he alert and playful, rolling around on his back and more importantly, that he was eating on his own. My husband and I were both thrilled and happy.

Well about an hour or so later, after Samson had settled back in, I offered him the food the vet said he had been eating .... and ... nothing. Samson did not want it at all! He is still refusing to eat! He is only eating a little tuna juice, which the vet said was ok.

But I am angry
beyond words. The vet *assured* us he was eating on his own and he's not!

I found out she also works at the emergency clinic and I am heading out there now to find out what the heck is going on.

The worst part is that she is not the vet that originally treated Samson (there are 3 vets working at my regular clinic) and there seems to be some disagreement as to Samson's treatment. Because A) the 1st vet who treated him, said they would have to keep him at least over the week-end, and B) the 2nd vet had already decided Samson could come home on Sat. because this is what she told me when I spoke with her on Friday, during which time I told her that of course, I was thrilled if my baby could come home Sat., but that I would much prefer they kept him as long as was necessary to ensure that he had healed. So I can't help but wonder if she lied to me and why?!?!?!?!

I am *angry* and scared that all of the goodness he got from the vet's (IV fluids & injections of antibiotics) will go down the drain if he's not eating on his own.

I do have meds that I have to give him, which I've been doing. All I can say is thank God for pill guns!

But I am pissed off beyond words right now!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
How terrible that you are getting such a run-around by these people. One thing that works for me is roasted chicken or Kentucky Fried Chicken with the skin removed. I think it has a strong enough aroma to get them interested.

Move for Samson.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have one of those trendy, upscale sort of pet stores, not like Petsmart or Petco, call them and see if they have these treats called Liv-A-Littles. I swear they are like kitty crack and will get even the most direly ill cats to nom them up. They are dehydrated chicken meat, no other stuff in them, just dehydrated meat. They crumble up nicely and can be spread over whatever food you want your cats to eat. I have never met a cat that didn't go ape-crazy over them.

All I have to do is get the jar out of the refridgerator (they ~must~ be kept cooled once opened) and my cats come running from all directions, howling, rubbing all over my legs, purring ... it's shameless, I tell you, what these cats will do for these treats. Please try to find them and give them a chance.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your story sounds too familiar. At 3:00pm on saturday when the vet clinic was closing I got a call that kismet could go home and was eating on her own when she was sick. They sent me home with prescription DRY FOOD. She was not eating and people on TCS had to walk me through force feeding her.

It is possible your kitty was eating at the vets maybe a little bit..... maybe his appetite isn't up 100% but he will eat a little atleast? Your kitty won't lost the benefits of the fluids etc. it would have built up his strength... it is SO important for him to eat though. I haven't been following your thread closely though, have you or the vets had to force feed him?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to force feed Samson for awhile; I know there are lots of threads on this board that contain info on how to accomplish this. ( I know, some people prefer to use the term "assisted feeding" but believe me---it's forced)
I've discovered that my kitties act totally different at the vet's than they do at home, so Samson may very well have been eating there. The fact that he's even interested in the tuna juice is a good sign. Above all, he has to eat whether he wants to or not, or some serious problems could result. He may just need a little "kick start" to get him eating at home again.
Please, search thru the archives here until you find the info you need to help walk you thru force feeding Samson. He won't like it, but you really can't worry about that right now.
And by all means talk to the vet again. I really don't think she should have "assured" you that Samson would eat on his own at home; cats are too independent for anyone to know what they might do at any given time.
Hopefully, Samson will decide to eat on his own soon. Sending loads of healing vibes to him and a gentle hug to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you once again everyone
Sigh, I guess I have no choice but to force him after all. I was hoping I wouldn't have to, because it's so stressful on him, but you are all right, more than anything he needs to eat. Thank goodness, at least he has eaten the tuna juice I have given him.

lmunsie, yes the vet told me they had been force feeding him, but that on Sat. he had been eating on his own, which to be honest, really shocked me because I have seen how he is towards food. But I thought, hey if the antibiotics kicked in, it's always possible.

katachtig, Gayef, thank you both. I will try those cat treats for sure and the chicken too!

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can keep giving him the tuna juice, but gradually add some little pieces of tuna back in? Poor Samson might be thinking that the food is what's making him feel bad so he's not too inclined to eat much.

Love his little heart!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

lmunsie, yes the vet told me they had been force feeding him, but that on Sat. he had been eating on his own, which to be honest, really shocked me because I have seen how he is towards food. But I thought, hey if the antibiotics kicked in, it's always possible.
It is very stressful
I am so sorry! let us know how it goes or if you need any advice, I know many of us have been through and may be able to help.....

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

If you have one of those trendy, upscale sort of pet stores, not like Petsmart or Petco, call them and see if they have these treats called Liv-A-Littles. I swear they are like kitty crack and will get even the most direly ill cats to nom them up. They are dehydrated chicken meat, no other stuff in them, just dehydrated meat. They crumble up nicely and can be spread over whatever food you want your cats to eat. I have never met a cat that didn't go ape-crazy over them.
mine aren't too crazy about them... but they all love the bonito flakes. Java loves the wildside salmon, too. oh, & everyone except PITA Pixel likes meat baby foods.

kris4nu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry you're dealing with this.
I missed your back story, does your kitty have kidney problems, too? I've been giving my kitty pretty much anything to get him to eat. He was eating baby food up until today and is now gagging when he smells it.

Tuna juice and the Friskies cuts gravy seems to be working well. I'm concerned that both are far too high in phosphorus, but the vet says JUST GET HIM TO EAT!

So, here we are! Good luck to you and your kitty!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of course I don't know your vet, but if it happened to me I don't know that I would blame the vet. A patient's condition can change, and it's not unusual for two different doctors to have different opinions about speed of discharge. The cat could have been eating well, but then the stress of travel from hospital to home tired him out or made him feel worse.