iams vs whiskers

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
just been watching TV and the Iams advert that was on was saying one bowl of the dry stuff is really good for them and that you would need to use 4 wet pouches instead.

see now flash wolves down iams wet and is begging for more but she doesnt with the whiskers she has just under 2 pouches of whiskers each day whereas it would be about 4 iams.

makes me so confused

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't pay much attention to pet food ads on tv. They starve the poor animal so that it will devour the food put down in front of them. Plus they probably add something horrendously bitter or awful tasting to deter them from eating the competitor's brand.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that advert. I think it's really irresponsible of them to imply their bowl of iams dry is better for a cat than wet food. Remember that they are just trying to sell you something and are trying to appeal to people by pointing out that it will cost you less to feed iams dry than 4 pouches of wet anything per day, something many people will be glad for given the current economic climate. As to the iams dry containing "better nutrition" (or whatever vague phrase they use) - I suspect that most wet foods would contain more protein when calculated on a dry matter basis.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would feed pouches over dry and canned foods over pouches. The reason feeding canned over the pouches is because the canned has more then enough moisture and the pouches add even more water to save on expenses. They usually don't contain enough meat.
Ingrediants ingrediants ingrediants

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not great with UK foods but is whiskers one that has 4% meat>>??

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am not great with UK foods but is whiskers one that has 4% meat>>??
The basic Whiskas is awful stuff and ingredients wise the named meat source is 'minimum 4%'. Their premium ranges "Oh so...Meaty/Fishy" etc. are a little better, but not by much (up to 20% named meat source), and it is hugely overpriced given how cheaply it is produced and the poor quality of ingredients.

Unfortunately it's the most widely available brand here and what most people feed as a wet food (its main competitor is Felix which is no better), not all supermarkets stock really good quality food. Which is why I order Bozita online, it's a Swedish food and although it is processed, it is 92% named meats plus jelly plus supplements. Also use of hormones to put weight on livestock is banned in Sweden, so there are less hidden 'nasties' in the meat. It's also vastly cheaper than feeding the worst stuff available in supermarkets, even though it is imported.

I'd rather feed Iams wet than Whiskas wet, but I am not a big fan of dry food full stop - although I do feed a little RC dry because I believe it's good to get them to forage a bit and you can hide it around the place without making a mess
The Iams dry is not as bad as the dreadful Go-Cat, but Royal Canin and James Wellbeloved are far higher quality but not usually available in supermarkets.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi-Life is a good wet food and widely available, Nature's Menu too. I always forget about them because one of my boys doesn't like pate style foods so I don't buy them myself, but they are good quality
Hi-Life adult pate pouches are not a complete food though iirc.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

one of my boys doesn't like pate style foods so I don't buy them myself, but they are good quality
Sophies not keen on the pate ones either, but the tuna imperial is their favourite
I must look at those Bozita wet foods as well?. Can they be purchased through Zooplus?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Sophies not keen on the pate ones either, but the tuna imperial is their favourite
I must look at those Bozita wet foods as well?. Can they be purchased through Zooplus?
Yes Bozita can be ordered from zooplus, it comes in 'chunks in jelly' which is what I use and they also do a pate style. It's not suitable for cats with meat allergies as all flavours are mostly chicken with a bit of whichever flavour it is (which is why it's ranked as a mid range food and not premium), but it is high meat content, no by-products, and very low-carb, contains all the supplements and taurine needed, and I can't argue with the price!

I feed a variety of wet foods including Bozita, Almo Nature Jelly, Almo Nature Bio-pate, Applaws, and Cosma, they are all either chunks or shredded.

ETA: One thing I find annoying about imported foods from other parts of Europe is that they don't always give percentages on the ingredients list - but when the first ingredient is a named meat and the second is vitamins and minerals you can at least be certain that it's high meat content

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi life Essentials is a complete food, but for some reason it is available in very few places (Asda being one of them - they sell boxes of 12 pouches for £2.88 or thereabouts, making it very competitively priced compared to whiskas/felix but for a much better quality food. They also sell small tins at £1 for 4).

I feed natures menu (less so than I used to as it has gone up in price a lot recently), hi life essentials, bozita, animonda carny, applaws, almo nature, cosma, schmusy, eagle pack, tesco finest and tesco luxury. Sainsburys have recently started selling something called Encore which looks almost identical to applaws/almo nature.

This is the iams ad, btw