Another peeing problem, I know why, but don't know how to fix it, help, please

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My smallest and most timid cat is being persecuted again. She had a peeing problem years ago, and it's come back - not often, but consistently. I caught her at it, sent a urine sample to be analyzed, and there's nothing wrong physically, which means it's behavioural.

She is being chased by one dominant female and two males. Another female is being chased to two males. The dominant female joins in. I don't know how to stop them. I intervene when I see it and deliver a firm "NO." They stop when I do that; they know I don't like it.

This is why she's peeing. I've added 2 more litter boxes (7 cats, now 9 boxes), but the others take those over and chase her away when she tries to use them.

The dominant female will also swat at a couple of males if I am petting them and not her. I pay a lot of attention to each one individually.

Would a spray bottle be worth a try here? I don't want to make them afraid of me, but I have to do something to stop them from being so nasty to these two females.

Thanks for any advice. I've no idea why this has started to happen recently after years of relative peace.

Seaturtle

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't use a spray bottle.

I have issues similar to yours - bound to happen in a multi-cat household. Mine live in seperate areas of the house. 2 upstairs, 2 in the family room downstairs, 2 in the office, then fosters in the other rooms. I rotate who is where & let a bunch together when I can supervise.....basically we have a rotating circle of who lives where.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by seaturtle

I don't want to make them afraid of me, but I have to do something to stop them from being so nasty to these two females.
Well, you'll have to put some fear in them so they listen to you. When any one of my cats is being bullied, she/he goes to me. The bullies see me and they stop. Maybe your NO is not enough. Try hissing or acting like a pissed cat. Works for me every time.

Originally Posted by seaturtle

I've no idea why this has started to happen recently after years of relative peace.
Anything new in the house can upset one or all the cats.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have mine in different parts of the house also. Some upstairs, some downstairs and all together when I supervise. I think it helps to give the one being picked on a quiet place to retreat. I noticed that after a time of living in separate areas and supervised visits, the bullies are not as bad anymore and the one getting picked on gets more confident.

Hope things settle down soon.