"The Best Years Of Our Lives"

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A truly remarkable and brilliant film.

I just watched it. I've seen it before, but it never ceases to move me.

3 men returning from WWII, and the adjustments they have to make. Made in 1946, it received the Best Picture Oscar for that year.

Harold Russell, an amputee, whose hands were blown off by an accident with TNT in a training camp during WWII, won Best Supporting Actor, after having never appeared in a motion picture. One of the most touching performances I've ever seen.

Anyone else seen this movie? It's one of my favorites. William Wyler directed, and it's breathtaking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I've seen it once. Its been a while but I remember thinking it was quite a good movie. Mostly I remember Myrna Loy from that picture for some reason.
And rightly so! She has some wonderful moments in this. In the beginning, when her husband (Frederic March) comes home and the kids see him first and he gets them to keep quiet, because he wants to surprise her, she's in the kitchen getting dinner ready, she's talking to them, and all of a sudden she stops. She turns around, the camera catches this look on her face - she knows he's home. It's priceless and beautiful.

It had been awhile since I'd seen it, and now I realize - I think I have to buy it.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

A truly remarkable and brilliant film.

I just watched it. I've seen it before, but it never ceases to move me.

3 men returning from WWII, and the adjustments they have to make. Made in 1946, it received the Best Picture Oscar for that year.

Harold Russell, an amputee, whose hands were blown off by an accident with TNT in a training camp during WWII, won Best Supporting Actor, after having never appeared in a motion picture. One of the most touching performances I've ever seen.

Anyone else seen this movie? It's one of my favorites. William Wyler directed, and it's breathtaking.
I DID note that it was on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) the other night which is where our TV stays most of the time. Yes, this is one of the greatest of the greats.