animated avatar

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i currently have an animated avatar that was kindly made for me... but i'd like to make a new one. problem - i don't know how they're made! do you need a particular software?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Yes, there are different types, just search for .gif animator and see what suits you and your computer
thanks! i found one... now let's see what i can come up with!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i downloaded an animator, & a resizer, then chose pix, resized, animated, uploaded to photobucket - & the file size is too large!
it's currently @ 54kb - size is ok [i set it to 100x100 pixels]... but how do i make the file size smaller?

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually there is something like an 'export optimizer' that will reduce file size. But what really blows up the file size of those animated avatars is the number of frames - you may have to compromise and use fewer to get the file size down.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
save the pictures as small as you can before using them in the animator and limit it to one frame of each and don't use dissolve, page curl etc as the 'in between' animation just have it flick between the images

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

thanks! i found one... now let's see what i can come up with!
When I think of animation, I think of my own avatar. Looking at your new avatar, which is quite nice indeed, I see what I think of as a slide show. So, did you get what you wanted with your original question? I have a GIF animator which I created my spiral with and that is what I thought you were looking for with the word animator.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

Usually there is something like an 'export optimizer' that will reduce file size. But what really blows up the file size of those animated avatars is the number of frames - you may have to compromise and use fewer to get the file size down.
umm... what?

save the pictures as small as you can before using them in the animator and limit it to one frame of each and don't use dissolve, page curl etc as the 'in between' animation just have it flick between the images
that's exactly what i did - 1 pic per cat, flick between - it's 54kb.

Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

When I think of animation, I think of my own avatar. Looking at your new avatar, which is quite nice indeed, I see what I think of as a slide show. So, did you get what you wanted with your original question? I have a GIF animator which I created my spiral with and that is what I thought you were looking for with the word animator.
Lee, that's not a new one - that's the one i've had for the last 6-8 months!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

what animator are you using?

Is there a compression option?
GIFfun - no compression option that i could find [i went looking, too!].
using a mac, so limited in options for animators.
i'm going to work on it some more ['cause i didn't size the pix the same
] but here's a link so you can see it: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ntgomery_4.gif

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's called something like "save for web?"
Usually there is an option right near the 'save as' where you can fiddle with the resolution to get the file size down.
I tried downloading your animation to see if I could do it using Serif Photoplus and I had problems - not sure if it is your avatar or my software LOL. Anyway I thought I could take it apart into the 6 jpg files, compress each of the piccies and put it back together, but I kept getting messed up on your piccie of Firefox. If you want to post all six of the piccies I might be able to make you one - no guarantees I am just a beginner at doing animated gifs.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've searched wide and far for gif animation software and I don't think that there is any decent FREE animation software with optimization. The very best optimization I've come across is the ULead program --- it's incredible what that will do to shrink file size and still have a nice-looking image. But, it's not free and once the trial period runs out, that's it, you can't uninstall it and reinstall it for another free trial. They've found some way of hiding it that I haven't been able to discover and believe me, I've looked in every nook and cranny of Registry and hidden files and folders. If I wanted to spend the money, I'd get the Ulead Gif Animator. It should be noted though that another company (was it Corel?) has bought out the rights to Ulead and it doesn't look like they're continuing to market the Gif Animator. So don't look for any upgrades and probably no support. Last I checked you could still buy it but it was down at the bottom of the page somewhere in a very small box.

Microsoft Gif Animator is probably the best freebie out there, however, it has no special effects, animation effects or transition effects. But it's probably the best freebie at producing decent looking animation. You have to construct all the frames yourself, but if you've got a static background, at least this program has the capability to "leave" the background in subsequent frames, meaning it will produce a smaller file size than an animator that uses the entire image for each frame.

Stay away from the Coffee Cup stuff .... all their free stuff is just demos or severely crippled full versions and the animator is the worst of the bunch.

Photobie is a fairly capable photo editor with animating features but it's really quirky and difficult to use. And somewhat crash-prone.

Beneton Movie Gif works pretty good within limited capabilities; it handles transparencies without much fuss and bother, but it's a tremendous resource hog and crash-prone. BMG does do some optimizing but you don't have any control over it. It just does what it does and that's what you get.

Most of my animating I do with Easy Gif Animator, which is not free, but fairlly reasonably price, $20 is what I paid if I remember right, but I don't remember if that was a special price or not. It also handles transparencies fairly well.

I thought I remember someone was developing an animation plug-in for Paint.NET .... now that would be something I'd want to try.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
remember guys - i'm running a mac! the Easy Gif Animator doesn't offer mac as a platform
neither does Microsoft's product.
here's a link to some pix - not the original 6, but 6 new ones, that i think will work better... i've resized them & put the names on them already.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops, sorry 'bout that.

I think Windows Vista is going to convince me to go back to the Mac

back to the Mac!!

back to the Mac!!

back to the Mac!!

back to the Mac!!

....hey, I think it's going to work for my new mantra.

PS - this must be the first time I've seen all your cats along with their names together, and it begins to dawn on me that there's some kind of theme at work here.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Oops, sorry 'bout that.

I think Windows Vista is going to convince me to go back to the Mac

back to the Mac!!

back to the Mac!!

back to the Mac!!

back to the Mac!!

....hey, I think it's going to work for my new mantra.

PS - this must be the first time I've seen all your cats along with their names together, and it begins to dawn on me that there's some kind of theme at work here.
& just how many posts of mine have you seen not to have noticed that before? hmm?
i love my new mac - but i've had a mac [at home, anyway] ever since my first computer i bought myself - had this one!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I take it that means I was right?
i actually had planned [BC - before Chip] to adopt a red male & name him Firefox... but when i got Chip [whose 'planning' name was Port] i thought i'd save Firefox for a red kitty [to be adopted later]. then my little patched tabby came along... w/her orange facial blaze, Firefox seemed appropriate.
'course, i don't call her that - her 'call name' [& the one she has on her tag] is 'Puter Bug!

but yes - there's a definite theme, which started w/Pixel [read in the Heinlein book The Cat Who Walks Through Walls]. Mouse's name was chosen to go w/Pixel... then i got Cable [who i thought was male when she was named]. Java's name was selected via TCS poll, & Chip's was suggested by another TCSer - i liked it better than Port.
long answer, huh?