*****KatKwery! - Sep 6 - clean sweep!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a bunch of new secret words and you got them all! And by now some of you already know you are winners since I updated the standings and already sent the points just to be different and add a little surprise.

Things are not changing much because almost all of the leaders won. And here they are: yam102284 used pepperoni first. Marianjela used hot first. Glitch used week first. Luvmycat1 used frozen first, and Monaxlisa used poll first. Clean sweep of all new secret words!

Today's KatKwiz was about Blog software.

We have been to this blog before, but is there anybody that noticed what it was created with? Have you ever seen or heard of WordPress before? I know some of you have blogs, what did you use to create them? The KatKwery Standings is a blog; does anybody know how I created it? Finally, blog is not a word but is short for something, do you know what that something is?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

We had a bunch of new secret words and you got them all! And by now some of you already know you are winners since I updated the standings and already sent the points just to be different and add a little surprise.

Things are not changing much because almost all of the leaders won. And here they are: yam102284 used pepperoni first. Marianjela used hot first. Glitch used week first. Luvmycat1 used frozen first, and Monaxlisa used poll first. Clean sweep of all new secret words!

We have been to this blog before, but is there anybody that noticed what it was created with? Have you ever seen or heard of WordPress before? I know some of you have blogs, what did you use to create them? The KatKwery Standings is a blog; does anybody know how I created it? Finally, blog is not a word but is short for something, do you know what that something is?
I never noticed what the cat site blog was created with. I never heard of wordpress either. Did you use wordpress to create the Katkwery blog Lee? Blog is a compressed version of Web Log. I didn't know what it meant so I looked it up.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today must be my lucky day, I stepped away from the computer to go make dinner and when I came back - bingo - almost to the minute, the kwery was here.

Thanks for the points again Lee! And congrats to everyone on the clean sweep!!!

I never noticed what the Blog was created with, even though I have been there before. I guess I didnt pay attention. Also, I have never heard of WordPress before today, but it does look interesting though. Especially since it has a book for dummies -
bonus. I could always use that

I created a Blog recently, I use Blogger. What started the transition from the CaringBridge Journal I was previously keeping was that I desperately needed a new photo managing program. I was using Kodak, but it slowed my computer down way too much and the software itself was very slow going. Very frustrating. So after doing a little research I decided to use Picasa - which is Google powered - and I LOVE it. SO fast. And I love the tags you can add to the pictures so that when you are looking for pictures of individual family members you can just type in their name. Very convenient.

Anyway, at the bottom of the program is a button to "add to Blogger" Of course my curiosity got the best of me and I clicked on it. The rest is history. I transferred my son's whole CaringBridge Journal over to Blogger and have spent countless hours and literally sleepless nights since fiddling around over there. I love the freedom it offers if you want it and like customizing it, adding pictures and slideshows, etc. My knowledge of HTML and CSS has increased immensely, but there is so much more I still want to learn!

Blogger has it's own built in program to use. You can either use their pre-designed templates, or use your own. Or you can use theirs and tweak them to fit your needs. Or of course you can look for layouts designed by other people online. Updating the blogs is very simple, but adding personality via counters, guestbooks, images, song lists, etc can be a little tricky at first, but with some perseverance and lots of web surfing and reading, there are a lot of how-to's and tutorials out there.

I didnt realize that your SuperChiro pages was a blog. I thought it was a regular website. I have no idea how you created since I assume you used FrontPage or something similar to design it. I have visited the root page: superchiro.com before and seen it was a chiropractic page. My initial though was that maybe you were web designed and made their page and used a page of that address for the Kwery and for Persi's page. Who knows. I have been to Persi's homepage several times and seen your AOL email address, so do you use something from AOL to create it? I dont know, but I like how yolu have it organized.

As I learned the last time we talked about Blogs on the KatKwiz and KatKwery, I remember that blog is a contraction of Web Log. Kinda of clever if you ask me. I never realized that Blog was short form of anything. I always imagined it was just a word created out of no where I guess.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you

I have been to the blog before, but I've never scrolled down so far to know what it was created with and I had never heard of WordPress before. It makes me want to research it further to see what it is all about. The only blogs that I have are myspace and livejournal. I mainly use livejournal for the groups, and myspace for my friends from college. I rarely ever post things about my life. If I do, it's mostly surveys and stuff like that. I rarely ever have time to write everything down that happens in my life. When I start to have kids, I will definitely start one to share what happens with my family and friends who are far away

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PPS
I know several people on here use wordpress for their blog. Cocoa Cream is one of them, this Kwery is probably right up her alley!!

I also discovered that Anne ran a poll about Vbulletin hosting blogs for members not too long ago. I was going to ask if that is what you used, but the poll was only done a few months ago. And I'm sure I've seen your site around longer than that. Hmmmm

Well I gotta pull myself off this thing for a bit - dinner is served.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

no, i'd never scrolled that far down. i'd never heard of WordPress before - but, since i don't blog, that's not surprising. i have no idea how you created the standings blog - haven't bothered to even investigate that. i don't blog because i'm not interested in writing that much - which is pretty evident since i never write books in response to the KatKwerys [unlike some people who shall go unnamed
]! blog is short for web log.

ETA: i investigated the standings blog - looks like it was created w/yahoo's site builder. i also found something called Key Blank...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

no, i'd never scrolled that far down. i'd never heard of WordPress before - but, since i don't blog, that's not surprising. i have no idea how you created the standings blog - haven't bothered to even investigate that. i don't blog because i'm not interested in writing that much - which is pretty evident since i never write books in response to the KatKwerys [unlike some people who shall go unnamed
]! blog is short for web log.

ETA: i investigated the standings blog - looks like it was created w/yahoo's site builder. i also found something called Key Blank...
I'm a doofus (said the nameless one
) I should've thought about viewing the source of the page to see how it was created.

Darn it all. It was created with Yahoo's SiteBuilder version 2.5. Good job Laureen!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

I'm a doofus (said the nameless one
) I should've thought about viewing the source of the page to see how it was created.

Darn it all. It was created with Yahoo's SiteBuilder version 2.5. Good job Laureen!
i wasn't sure it would work, but figured it was worth a try - what if sitebuilder or yahoo is one of the secret words?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PSS - from the nameless, now verbose one.

Did you ever wish there were enough days in your life to learn about everything? I've always been a curious person and enjoy learning about things. If I had enough money and time I could've stayed in college and majored in everything I think sometimes. I've always had a curiosity in Astronomy and space, and in another spectrum I have had a love for writing since I was a little girl. I wrote a book once when I was in junior high school called "Dont Cry Over Spilled Milk". Of course it was never published and never went further than my friends and English teacher. When I went to school it was in engineering because I wanted to be an architect. But I ended up majoring in math because I thought I would love to be a teacher someday. When I was younger I wanted to be a veterinarian and if I didnt have such an awful lab partner when I took biology I might have stuck with that. I've even though that I would like to be a Physician's Assistant. Of work in a field with genetics. Ha! Oh well.

Currently I am a stay at home mom. I was a career mom since forever, but when Josh was diagnosed with cancer things turned upside down for us and I now stay home. Wouldnt change it for the world. I now am a teacher, a writer, a taxi driver, a doctor, a janitor, a dream weaver and of course the list goes on.

I have actually started to write a book. A real book that I hope to have published for real one day. It's not science fiction or a romance novel or anything like that, it's actually more of a biography, a look into the life of a family hit with cancer. It's sort of like Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie. It's supposed to illustrate how cancer is a disease that spreads not only through the infected's body, but through the whole family and how a community can pull together to heal one another. I actually only started it because my family kept encouraging me after reading my journal entries. Oh who knows, but like anything, it is easier to write when it is for fun and not when you're expected to....

Once again... probably TMI... but it's a rainy dreary day here in the north east... so hey...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i wasn't sure it would work, but figured it was worth a try - what if sitebuilder or yahoo is one of the secret words?
If I were a gambler, I'd bet that it is!. Only seems logical since that was the question
Who knows - good job though.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I never noticed what it was created with but Im guessing wordpress for dummies! Today was probably the worst day of my life so Im not going to have some long drawn out post today, I just can't do it. I have heard of wordpress before but I dont know what they were talking about or anything like that! Im not that computer friendly! Even if they make something for dummies Im still electronically challenged! I cannot tell what the katkwery blog was created with, I went to properties but got nothing! So I just dont know today! Im thinking Web Log is what blog means, but I googled that and got some wikapedia stuff that always confuses me so I just dont know! Its described as some Web Based diary.... I dont use a blog personally, I guess I have myspace but I dont know if that is considered a blog or just myspace! I dont do anything really neat on the internet so thats the extent of my knowledge on the subject of blogging. Or maybe I should make up a whole bunch of stuff to see if I cant get in a secret word.... Blogging is a way of communicating information of some kind through video, writing, music, images, your photo's or anything you want to share with other people! I guess you could use it to keep in touch with family that live far away or something. Okay I give up Im just not thinking clearly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

I didnt realize that your SuperChiro pages was a blog. I thought it was a regular website. I have no idea how you created since I assume you used FrontPage or something similar to design it. I have visited the root page: superchiro.com before and seen it was a chiropractic page. My initial though was that maybe you were web designed and made their page and used a page of that address for the Kwery and for Persi's page. Who knows. I have been to Persi's homepage several times and seen your AOL email address, so do you use something from AOL to create it? I dont know, but I like how yolu have it organized..
superchiro.com (what a great name I got) is the site I created for my BIL in exchange for chiropractic service. Many of the sites I have created were done on a bartering basis. There is no cash involved and thus no income tax involved.
This is a registered site that I created using Yahoo's Sitebuilder, software designed to build and maintain sites with. You can determine this by right clicking on the KatKwery Standings page and then clicking on View Source. The very top line tells you what that page was created with; Sitebuilder 2.5. I pay Yahoo a monthly fee for use of their server and search engine placement. I get top billing on most of the "secret words" that people use to search with (not just Yahoo, but any search engine.) Now here is the very cool devious part of my underhanded scheme: superchiro.com takes you to the home page of my BIL's web site. There are five pages, all linked together in the traditional way. They are identified by the name after the slash. But here is where the cheat comes in, in the case of the KatKwery standings you will note the name of the page is superchiro.com/katkwery The katkwery part of the name is linked to nothing else and is therefore invisible to to anything else I might attach. If you just enter katkwery to google, you will get the KatKwery Standings page. So it is a freestanding web page with its own address and I have dozens of these things attached to the chiropractic web site to (ahem) avoid paying any additional money to Yahoo for maintenance. The reason I pay anything at all is because years ago I had used the "free" website builder that AOL offered. One day all of my web sites disappeared and was told they were not going to be retrieved because they were free and somewhere in the fine print they were off the hook so I bit the bullet and pay a small amount for the base site but have dozens of blogs invisibly riding along.
I do refer to it as a blog because as you have already pointed out, blog stands for web log and it is indeed a log on the web that is keeping track of our six month long battle.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

superchiro.com (what a great name I got) is the site I created for my BIL in exchange for chiropractic service. Many of the sites I have created were done on a bartering basis. There is no cash involved and thus no income tax involved.
This is a registered site that I created using Yahoo's Sitebuilder, software designed to build and maintain sites with. You can determine this by right clicking on the KatKwery Standings page and then clicking on View Source. The very top line tells you what that page was created with; Sitebuilder 2.5. I pay Yahoo a monthly fee for use of their server and search engine placement. I get top billing on most of the "secret words" that people use to search with (not just Yahoo, but any search engine.) Now here is the very cool devious part of my underhanded scheme: superchiro.com takes you to the home page of my BIL's web site. There are five pages, all linked together in the traditional way. They are identified by the name after the slash. But here is where the cheat comes in, in the case of the KatKwery standings you will note the name of the page is superchiro.com/katkwery The katkwery part of the name is linked to nothing else and is therefore invisible to to anything else I might attach. If you just enter katkwery to google, you will get the KatKwery Standings page. So it is a freestanding web page with its own address and I have dozens of these things attached to the chiropractic web site to (ahem) avoid paying any additional money to Yahoo for maintenance. The reason I pay anything at all is because years ago I had used the "free" website builder that AOL offered. One day all of my web sites disappeared and was told they were not going to be retrieved because they were free and somewhere in the fine print they were off the hook so I bit the bullet and pay a small amount for the base site but have dozens of blogs invisibly riding along.
I do refer to it as a blog because as you have already pointed out, blog stands for web log and it is indeed a log on the web that is keeping track of our six month long battle.
I didnt even think of right clicking for the source of the page until after Laureen discovered it was built with Yahoo''s Sitebuilder. As soon as she posted, something clicked and I was like - duh! I think it was the word "investigate" that made me think of it... Who knows.

Anyway, you are right... I've been to Persi's page and of course the Standings page, either way, I never thought of it as a blog, even though Persi's page especially, is clearly a journal of him growing up. Nicely done btw. I love watching his colors change. I am fostering an itty bitty colorpoint kitten right now and it is amazing how they morph. Beautiful cuddly little thing.

Anyway, that was a good idea, using the SuperChiro pages, but making your add-on as a stand alone page. I need to remember that!