i've alway's wondered this...

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...how is it a kitten know's to go to the toilet outside, when they have been let out for the first time? do i have to do anything to encourage them to? or will they do it naturally?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had outdoor cats, but I know my sister used to keep a litter pan in the garden for hers.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess they really don't. But a small litter box outside should get them started. Remember cats are really not like dogs in the sense they will go when you want them to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I've never had outdoor cats, but I know my sister used to keep a litter pan in the garden for hers.
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would guess they really don't. But a small litter box outside should get them started. Remember cats are really not like dogs in the sense they will go when you want them to go.
thankyou!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not so much that they know, but that it's a bit of instinct. Cats love soft stuff they can dig in to bury their pee and poop - your garden, pile of grass clippings, the fluffy comforter on your bed...

There's usually other animal smells, too. An area could already smell like another cat's waste, so they're then just doing what's natural.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ours just..went lol. And my cats actually do go out like dogs. My mom's cat Bubbles who pretty much lives in her room, my mom lets her out and she runs to the middle of the grass, goes potty and comes back inside.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It's not so much that they know, but that it's a bit of instinct. Cats love soft stuff they can dig in to bury their pee and poop - your garden, pile of grass clippings, the fluffy comforter on your bed...

There's usually other animal smells, too. An area could already smell like another cat's waste, so they're then just doing what's natural.
yeh, that's what i thought!

Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

Ours just..went lol. And my cats actually do go out like dogs. My mom's cat Bubbles who pretty much lives in her room, my mom lets her out and she runs to the middle of the grass, goes potty and comes back inside.
aww, how cuteee!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty can go outside and play all day, but will he go to the loo out there? No. He comes back in to do his business. Sometimes he might have a wee outside but he won't have a poo outside!!! I think he just likes to leave me little parcels to clear up, i think he's worried that if he does it outside he will put mummy out of a job!!! Bless him.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

My kitty can go outside and play all day, but will he go to the loo out there? No. He comes back in to do his business. Sometimes he might have a wee outside but he won't have a poo outside!!! I think he just likes to leave me little parcels to clear up, i think he's worried that if he does it outside he will put mummy out of a job!!! Bless him.
aww, hehe!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have great insticts!

I know cats that will only poo outside, and some only inside
Just like people they will do what they feel like, and thats that. I would always keep a pan inside, just because they are outside for hours does not mean they are pooing

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

They have great insticts!

I know cats that will only poo outside, and some only inside
Just like people they will do what they feel like, and thats that. I would always keep a pan inside, just because they are outside for hours does not mean they are pooing
yeh, that's sooo true!