TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › i've alway's wondered this...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i've alway's wondered this...

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
...how is it a kitten know's to go to the toilet outside, when they have been let out for the first time? do i have to do anything to encourage them to? or will they do it naturally?
post #2 of 11
I've never had outdoor cats, but I know my sister used to keep a litter pan in the garden for hers.
post #3 of 11
I would guess they really don't. But a small litter box outside should get them started. Remember cats are really not like dogs in the sense they will go when you want them to go.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
I've never had outdoor cats, but I know my sister used to keep a litter pan in the garden for hers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I would guess they really don't. But a small litter box outside should get them started. Remember cats are really not like dogs in the sense they will go when you want them to go.
thankyou!
post #5 of 11
It's not so much that they know, but that it's a bit of instinct. Cats love soft stuff they can dig in to bury their pee and poop - your garden, pile of grass clippings, the fluffy comforter on your bed...

There's usually other animal smells, too. An area could already smell like another cat's waste, so they're then just doing what's natural.
post #6 of 11
Ours just..went lol. And my cats actually do go out like dogs. My mom's cat Bubbles who pretty much lives in her room, my mom lets her out and she runs to the middle of the grass, goes potty and comes back inside.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
It's not so much that they know, but that it's a bit of instinct. Cats love soft stuff they can dig in to bury their pee and poop - your garden, pile of grass clippings, the fluffy comforter on your bed...

There's usually other animal smells, too. An area could already smell like another cat's waste, so they're then just doing what's natural.
yeh, that's what i thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post
Ours just..went lol. And my cats actually do go out like dogs. My mom's cat Bubbles who pretty much lives in her room, my mom lets her out and she runs to the middle of the grass, goes potty and comes back inside.
aww, how cuteee!
post #8 of 11
My kitty can go outside and play all day, but will he go to the loo out there? No. He comes back in to do his business. Sometimes he might have a wee outside but he won't have a poo outside!!! I think he just likes to leave me little parcels to clear up, i think he's worried that if he does it outside he will put mummy out of a job!!! Bless him.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althekitty View Post
My kitty can go outside and play all day, but will he go to the loo out there? No. He comes back in to do his business. Sometimes he might have a wee outside but he won't have a poo outside!!! I think he just likes to leave me little parcels to clear up, i think he's worried that if he does it outside he will put mummy out of a job!!! Bless him.
aww, hehe!

post #10 of 11
They have great insticts!

I know cats that will only poo outside, and some only inside Just like people they will do what they feel like, and thats that. I would always keep a pan inside, just because they are outside for hours does not mean they are pooing
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowers View Post
They have great insticts!

I know cats that will only poo outside, and some only inside Just like people they will do what they feel like, and thats that. I would always keep a pan inside, just because they are outside for hours does not mean they are pooing
yeh, that's sooo true!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › i've alway's wondered this...