Question for Saturday Sept 6th.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we usually have a daily question for the weekdays I figured it might be nice to have one for the weekends as well...

So here goes.

What smell reminds you most of your childhood and home?

For me the it's the smell of spices, cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg and such. The main reason being at this time of year my mom would always be making apple jelly, mincemeat, pickles, etc etc from produce purchased or picked from the garden..

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They say that since our sense of smell is most closely connected to our brain of all our senses, it's the one that can evoke the strongest memories.

How about a hay-filled barn, or an old tractor shed? They remind me of my grandfather's farm in Michigan. Those are not common smells, and they remind me of good times.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vanilla!...

When I was child, once Mom was belated by her work and Dad too...we was hungry waiting for the soup....( brothers and I so we go at the kittchen and I remember the liquid that she put on our glass of milk...
was vanilla so I thought that the smell it would be equal at the taste,....I take the bottle and I have a big drink of it!..
I just
at the bathroom to
how sad is to see the reality...

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I can't really think of any. I didn't have a very happy childhood, so any memories of it are not good ones.

However, smells that do trigger good memories and happy times since I've been away from all of that: cinnamon, pine, leather, horses, wild onions, honeysuckle, and pumpkin pie!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanksgiving dinner cooking!

Way back when I was a child, before all of the worries about food and bacteria, and proper food handling techniques, etc. My mom used to prepare the turkey the night before. She'd make the dressing and stuff the turkey, and put it into the oven. She'd set the timer to start cooking in the morning, and waking up to the smell of turkey and dressing cooking was just the best!!! You know...in all those years...no one ever got sick from the turkey setting in the oven overnight, and cooking in the morning.

It's been close to 30 years since I've awakened to the smell of Thanksgiving turkey cooking...but even walking into the house on Thanksgiving, and smelling all of the wonderful aromas, will transport me instantly to my childhood!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely fresh-mown grass. It reminds me of Saturday mornings in the summer.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The smell of the ocean reminds me of home. I can't understand how people can live so far inland. I am an hour away and it's too far.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

When the lawn has just been mowed. It reminds me of summers in our backyard in Ky.
What a small world I live in Kentucky and I like the smell of fresh grass in the spring it means swimming isn't far away.
Originally Posted by mrblanche

They say that since our sense of smell is most closely connected to our brain of all our senses, it's the one that can evoke the strongest memories.

How about a hay-filled barn, or an old tractor shed? They remind me of my grandfather's farm in Michigan. Those are not common smells, and they remind me of good times.
I was raised on a farm so I liked similar smells and I also strange enough love the smell of horses and cattle. We raised cattle and I always remember growing up with them when I smell cows and I always loved the smell of horses.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cinnamon! My mom makes cinnamon rolls every Christmas morning and everytime I make them makes me want to go home!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The smell of a farm (i don't know how to describe it really- it's just something I grew up with when I was really small before we moved).

Honeysuckles (we used to have them growing everywhere!!! i love them!)

Mom's homemade spaghetti cooking on the stove with all of its wonderful spices in it!

Mom's homemade cornbread
It's probably my favorite scent
She still makes it for me all of the time too even now that i'm married!

The smell of Ginger (my old wolf x's) coat- she never had a "dirty dog" smell - she always had a really interesting smell- not sure how to describe it-

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dad was a single father with 2 kids at the age of 21. We all moved in with my grandmother since my father often had to travel out of town for work. My grandmother used to bake a ham in a paperbag and she baked it all day on low. The smells were fantastic
and it also tasted absolutely delicious! She was such a good cook and a truly wonderful woman. Sometimes I attempt to duplicate her recipe, however, I haven't been successful. So now, when I smell ham cooking I think of my time with her.

Also, the smell of Chanel #5. My grandmother often wore it and I thought she smelled so beautiful. I have my own bottle of it now and spray a little of it just to be reminded of her.

The smell of honey because my great-grandfather used to have honey bees and he would always give me a piece of the honeycomb to chew on. It was soooo good.