Top loading carrier

ruthie70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When transporting Annie to the vet I normally pick her up under her two front legs and drop her, hind first, into the carrier, which is upended with the opening facing skyward. I now have a carrier that opens from the top as well and would like to try this method when I take Annie to the vet in a few days. How should I carry her when putting her into the carrier (which has only a short drop) so that it isn't easy for her to spring right out again before I get the lid down? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting her in butt first and kinda laying her on her back. By the time she flips over, you should have the top closed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthie70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, GoldenKitty - will keep your suggestion in mind. Time is drawing close, and still haven't decided whether to use the side door or the top door. I'm comfortable with upending the carrier and dropping Annie in, but I hate the look on her face when I do this. On the surface it seems putting her in through the top door would be easy, but I don't know..... Still dithering!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthie70

I'm comfortable with upending the carrier and dropping Annie in, but I hate the look on her face when I do this
Whatever gets the job done, just try not to look at her face

Do you leave the carrier out all the time with the door off? She might get more comfortable with it if she can sleep, get treats in there etc.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with leaving the carrier out for her to get used to. I leave one out and my kitties sometimes sleep and play in it. I haven't had any problems thusfar with putting any of them in there for transport. I do use the type with the top opening, and I love it. Much easier getting the kitty OUT once at the vet, too.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The funny thing with Charlie is that I've never left the carrier out. When I get it out, he's more then willing to go in it - he loves shows and traveling. He just doesn't want to "go" in public