Suggestions for Hawaii?

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

So for our honeymoon, my mother is sending us to Hawaii for TWO WEEKS!!! We're complety psyched!

We're going to the big island, staying in Kona and we're staying in Kauai. Any suggestions for activites would be greatly appreciated!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh! I LOVE Hawaii and I've only ever really been there for business. What an awesome spot for your honeymoon! In my opinion, the islands you've picked are the best ones, too! (But there's not really a bad one.)

When you're on the Big Island, definately do a Volcanoes National Park tour. I stayed an extra day when I was there last year and it was awesome. I went with a smaller tour company that departed from Kona and went for the day. It was great to go with a smaller group instead of a huge tour company. They were also very ecologically conscious, which I liked a lot. (We spent 15 minutes of our tour helping to clear out some invasive plant species from the rain forest at the entrance to the park. It was cool to know we left the place better than we found it.)

It's also really neat to drive north up the coast from Kona and into the mountains there. The terrain just changes so much.

On Kauai the snorkeling is amazing...definitely make some time to do that. There are spots that are good for beginners if you've never done it before. Stop for lunch one day at Bubba's Burgers...they're greasy but good! I also enjoyed the drive up the Waimea canyon. The hike up Kiluea is definitely worth it for the awesome views. It's a little rough in spots, but I managed to do it in gym shoes and I'm not much of a hiker.

Have a great time, and enjoy your honeymoon!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only been to the main island (the one with Honolulu)...I can't keep the islands straight but I think that's on Ouahu? If you get a day or two there, definitely check out Pearl Harbor (very emotional) and Diamond Head (VERY long hike but the view is worth it! Eat your wheaties that morning though!). Also, they have a GREAT flea market during the weekends where you can get all the touristy things they sell in the stores for a fraction of the price.

One thing I loved about Hawaii are the street names! I swear I don't think I could follow directions by names because every street sounded like Bahama-mama to me!

I'm sure other people will post will better ideas and advice. In paradise on your honeymoon? What do you CARE what is to do on the island??

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to Maui for our honeymoon. I suggest a Traditional Luau for you to go. And be sure to take some kind of helicopter ride around the island and over the volcanos - we had our ride video taped

We stayed a week. IMO you should not plan on big events EVERY day. We spaced ours every other day or 3 main events. That way you have room to adjust your schedule and you have time to just relax. I don't like the guided tours where they set you up with a lot of events to do at certain times - then you are running from one to the other.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a really good beach on the big island-it takes about 30 minutes to drive to but worth it.
I went on a coffee plantation tour and stopped at local farmers market and a protea farm too.

If you go to Maui you have to drive the road to Hana!! If you have a good stomach as the road is really curvy!!

When are you going as my newphew's fiancee grew up on Oahu and I could tak to her about some ideas.

Like the Arizona Memorial-its a must stop.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

Hi Everyone!

So for our honeymoon, my mother is sending us to Hawaii for TWO WEEKS!!! We're complety psyched!

We're going to the big island, staying in Kona and we're staying in Kauai. Any suggestions for activites would be greatly appreciated!
DH and I honeymooned in Hawaii - his parents sent us there as well. We went to Oahu and Kaua'i.

Kaua'i is such a magical place! You most probably will stay in the Po'ipu Beach area. Some of the best snorkeling I have ever done is at that beach. Nearby the Spouting Horn water geyser is impressive.

But nothing can compare to Waimea Canyon, the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Take the canyon out of Arizona, add waterfalls and foliage and you have Waimea. I don't know if you bird watch, but Kaua'i is a great place to see some of the last indigenous Hawaiian birds.

Best wishes!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i was going to suggest the Polynesian Cultural Center - but it's on Oahu... are you flying into Honolulu? if so, see if you can go there! [btw - link has other info, as well!]
definitely take in a luau! [try the poi - just so you can say that you did!]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY! So many great suggestions!!!

We are going 11/1-11/15(my birthday
)

So far we have planned at least 1 or 2 days at a spa
We;ve booked a Dolphin Sea Quest at the Hilton on The Big Islan
And as soon as FH gets home we will be booking the a tubing tour on Kauai and oh yeah, the stargazing tour on the big island!!!

Keep the suggestions comming we want lots of options! Thanks everyone :-D

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been to the 4 major islands and my favorites are Kauai and the Big Island of Hawaii. So great choices so far!!

On Hawaii:
- Volcanoes National Park
- Flumin' the Ditch - you ride down old sugar plantation water chutes in a boat. It sounded cheesy but it was actually a lot of fun.
- best beaches are on the north end of the west coast. The beaches are far better on Kauai.
- if Don Drysdale's is still around, they serve the best Mai Tai's on the planet.
We stayed in Kono at a condo.

On Kauai:
- Snorkel cruise and if they are still around, get on Holo Holo Charters. They take you out on a big pontoon and the captain will actually sail the boat (rather than motor it the entire way). The 1/2 day tour did some snorkeling, whale watching, and went as far as the Pali cliffs. Great food too.
- Waimaea Canyon - known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific
- Helicopter tour - if you can afford it. We took my MIL and splurged on anything she wanted to do. It is spectacular scenery from the air.
- Fern Grotto - if you start running out of time skip this, but they will boat you up a river and you walk into a fern cave. Very pretty
- Hanalei area in general - beautiful drive with plenty of spots to pull out and take pictures. Great beaches on the ride with surfing.
We stayed in Poipou in a condo. Poipou has outstanding beaches.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, man... you must be so excited!!

I went to Hawaii about two years ago. I stayed on Oahu and visited Kauai. We rented a car and drove around Kauai for awhile, taking our own "tour." So worth it! Also, I went ziplining in Kauai, which was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! Do it, if you get the opportunity. It's scary at first, but you won't regret it - I promise.

Just relax and enjoy yourself, and don't try to cram every day full of stuff. You can have a blast on Hawaii just taking a leisurely drive.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we ever get another chance for Maui, we have to finish a few things we didn't have time for (1) the road to Hana and (2) ATV ride across the land. Might include the aquarium too as our trip was cut short one day because DH's brother died and we had to return to the states as soon as we could.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Kauai for my honeymoon, it was amazing. I totally agree with the helicopter ride and seeing Waimea Canyon as well as attending a luau. I'm petrified of sharks, but I did mange to go snorkeling, only because we had a place where we walked in from the beach and were in this sheltered cove area. There was no way that I was jumping off a boat into the water
We also did a sunset dinner cruise where we saw dolphins!!

The very best thing we did though was an ATV tour thru an old sugar plantation, it was an absolute blast!!! we got dirty and had tons of fun. My recommendation is to get up early and do your activities early before it gets to hot

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi Everyone!

DW and I chose Molokai to go to for one simple reason, it is the least visited of all the islands. Where else in the world can you finds three miles of white sand beach with not a single person except yourself on it? It has the highest cliffs in the world and if you are athletically inclined, you can climb down the most difficult stairway in the world that leads to the so called "leper colony". We did that and looked back up and decided we would take the fun four passenger plane out of there. The stairs were designed to keep the lepers in. Why is this island the least visited? I truly think it is the stigma of the lepers and a totally unfounded fear. Meanwhile, we had a chance to visit REAL Hawaiians, the only island that has such in any number, and a chance to be free of tourists. If you have time, add this to your itenerary! Rent a heap of a car and drive the most amazing roads up to the top of the cliffs and pray to God another car is not coming in the opposite direction...Live a little! There is one single traffic light on the entire island. This is the true Hawaii. It is populated by Hawaiians. It is a step back in time.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby and I went to Hawaii four years ago and spent 10 days on Molokai and 5 on Maui. We loved Molokai and weren't that fond of Maui.
Molokai is the least developed and we stayed at a vacation rental by owner. We drove to what seemed like the end of the world and then hiked up to see a beautiful secluded waterfall. Maui is fine I guess if you like resorts and golf courses, but that is really not our thing.
One of the highlights turned out to be the ferry ride we took from Molokai to Maui - it cost maybe $25 / person, and we got to see all kinds of whales! The captain was joking that he should have charged extra for it being a whale watch!
So take a ferry ride to another island, maybe you'll get to see whales!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you appreciate history, go out to the Arizona memorial -- it's built over the wreckage of one of the Navy ships that sank in Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, precipitating US entry into WWII.

Have a wonderful time!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi Everyone!

I suggest lots of pictures and sharing them here!
Congrats and have a great time!!