*****KatKwery! - Sept. 4*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yam102284 continued her blazing hot streak using pillow, a brand new secret word. Another brand new secret word was between, which Marianjela used to keep pace with Glitch who used more. Another brand new word not used was sill (as in window sill) and the word rare(ly).

Today's KatKwiz was about PMs and usertitles.

Why do you think members would choose not to get PMs? Do you think TCS may have a reason that certain members cannot receive PMs? Have you ever sent a PM to somebody and received a message telling you why that PM was not going to be sent? How often do you change the information in your usertitle? Were you aware you must be at a certain level to alter usertitle information?

Regarding the latter question, please see this: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46669

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Why do you think members would choose not to get PMs? Do you think TCS may have a reason that certain members cannot receive PMs? Have you ever sent a PM to somebody and received a message telling you why that PM was not going to be sent? How often do you change the information in your usertitle? Were you aware you must be at a certain level to alter usertitle information?

Regarding the latter question, please see this: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46669
Thank you

Hmmmm. I don't know why people may choose not to get PMs. One reason would be maybe they aren't in the mood to talk at a certain point during a year or something happened and they don't want to get PMs from members. I really have no clue why someone would choose that. I know that you have to be at least 18 to get PMs (I think). I think it's a good reason because it protects minors from meeting people and maybe giving them too much personal information that you should never give out. I've never sent someone a PM and have it returned back to me and I've also never changed my user title. I just barely became able to get a custom avatar, so it'll probably be awhile before I can get a custom user title, unless I become a paying member.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yam102284 continued her blazing hot streak using pillow, a brand new secret word. Another brand new secret word was between, which Marianjela used to keep pace with Glitch who used more. Another brand new word not used was sill (as in window sill) and the word rare(ly).

Some people have no need to get PM's, and some are unable to get PM's, but when you dont have much storage for PM's its not much fun either, some people dont want the interuption, and others just prefer to talk on the forums instead of privatly, also if you have members bugging you constantly about stuff that would make me want to turn them off! Yes, Ive sent messages to people and normally the message I get is either "This person does not accept PM's" Or "this persons mailbox is full" Eitherway, I dont like getting either message! Drives me nuts!! I dont change it very often, and I havn't changed it since the one day my membership expired and I lost my custom user title for a whole day until I could get my premium membership subscription renewed! It was awful, I went from being able to have 500 PM's to only 30!! My mailbox was way overfull and I couldn't understand what happened! Yes I am aware of the certain cat levels you have to be at to get more storage for PM's and for custom usertitle! I gave up trying and just bought the premium membership! That way you dont have to wait and you can change your avatar! You have to be an top cat or a premium member before you can change your user title! Which means you have to have some 1200 posts and 150 days in membership! I reached the 1200 posts quickly but then I realized it didn't matter because I hadn't been a member of the cat site long enough so I had to go and sign up for the other because I just couldn't wait to get my options! Which I love! People under the age of 18 can't recieve PM's either because its safer that way, away from harms way which we all know can happen on the internet, but would doubt anything crazy would happen on the cat site!! Also I think that people who get too many infractions get their privlages taken away but Im not sure on that way! The catsite just wants everyone to be safe and they do their best to make sure of it! I think they do a great job!! Having age levels for IMO and PM's is something all forums should consider to do it also! PM's can't be monitored so you really dont know if age appropriate stuff is being discussed through them!! Better safe than sorry! Protectoin to are underage members is a must have! Someone has to keep them safe! I guess other reasons why I wouldn't want my pm's on at that moment is if I had something I needed to deal with all on my own, otherwise Im sure the people who chat at work have to block PM's and astuff LIke that! Well hopefully since I lost katkwiz, Ill at least get a word in the katkwiz1 aLthough someones making it hard for me! LOL BRING IT ON!!!

I cant believe Marienjela is right on my tail!! She kicked my butt in the katkwiz too!! AHHH!!! You just couldn't let me win all by myself could you!?!
She's doing awesome and Im not doing quite as well, just enough to maintain but barely!! I need to post better answers or Im not going to succeed in being the top seeded player! if I succeed to make it to the katkwery superbowl at all!! With the way people are going right now its anyones game, there is still plenty of time for everyone to pass me up!! NOOO!! I want to be in the finals!!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well guys :cracking_my_knuckles: get your typing fingers ready the race is on

I think some people might not be here for social reasons and may seem overwhelmed my PMs and for this reason they may opt out of the PM function. I personally like the option and would never choose to not use it, unless maybe I was going on vacation and was worried about exceeding my limit of something. I am aware that members under 18 can not receive PMs. I think this is a very good built-in safety purpose. If a child/person is under a certain age, I think it is smart to limit any trouble or harassment they might run into online.

I have never sent a message to someone that returned a message or reply that they couldnt receive Private Messages. I dont even know how that works. Maybe I should search out a minor just to check it out - LOL

I think I have only changed the information in my user title maybe three times this year, but of course I only earned the privileges to modify it not too long ago when I became a Top Cat (or was it Super Cat?). And I was excited when I did. I went there and changed it soon after. And of course I changed it today for the heck of it to answer today's KatKwiz. I was aware that you had to be at a certain level to change that option, in fact when I realized I was getting close to move up in my TheCatSite status, I worked extra hard to graduate to the higher level so that I could change it. That and my avatar! I think maybe premium members can change there's at any time also, without the set limit on number of posts of amount of time on list. They also get extra rights like changing the font and colors I believe. I think I will make this short and sweet today. Let's see if I get lucky today!

PS - thanks for the points today Lee (and contributing TCS users) - for both the Kwiz and the KatKwery!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Glitch, I think you must have been typing that before he even posted it

You wrote more than even I did today. You are hilarious. This contest is so fun. Addicting and cant even figure out why.

When I first started to post only Yam
had posted, but by the time I hit the reply button you squeaked in under me. Now I got a taste of my own medicine.

At first I couldnt think of a reason that someone would turn their PM option off. But then I thought about myself putting some of my mailing lists on hold when I go on vacation so that my mailbox doesnt get full. Also some people may be too busy to deal with PMs and are content just posting on the boards/forums.

I agree, I definitely think limiting the underagers to public posts is safer and makes it easier to monitor their behavior and make sure nothing is going on behind closed doors in more private posts. Although, having teenagers myself, I know it isnt hard for them to just plain lie about their age to join a specific site.

Anyway, good luck everyone. Now that the end is drawing near, it is getting more intense and SO much fun!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

beats me... i've blocked a user, but not ALL PMs - maybe they're anti-social?
i do know that members under 18 cannot receive PMs for their own protection. i've never had a PM 'refused', so to speak - altho occasionally i've attempted to send one to someone whom i didn't realize was underage. i also sent one once to someone who was claiming to BE underage, & it went - never got a reply, tho.
i rarely change the usertitle info - changed it last summer when i got Firefox. prior to that, it had 'quad squad' - i've also had mewsical purrformer, & probably some others [getting old - can't remember!]. i changed mine as soon as i had reached the level where i could. wish i [like some others on TCS] were really clever & could come up w/something a bit more witty... but i'm not, so i haven't.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

prior to that, it had 'quad squad' - i've also had mewsical purrformer, & probably some others [getting old - can't remember!]. i changed mine as soon as i had reached the level where i could. wish i [like some others on TCS] were really clever & could come up w/something a bit more witty... but i'm not, so i haven't.
I dont know Laureen, I think you are pretty clever. I love the previous names you had. I also adore the names you have for your cats - very creative.

I seen a user title that I thought funny once... something to the tune of Purrsonal Can Opener or something like that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

I dont know Laureen, I think you are pretty clever. I love the previous names you had. I also adore the names you have for your cats - very creative.

I seen a user title that I thought funny once... something to the tune of Purrsonal Can Opener or something like that.
well, thanks!
i've seen that one, too. & AussieDog had one that read "where the cat-hair tumbleweeds blow"

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well oh my! Gone for a week and look what happens!! Go Yam!
And of course, eveyone else.

I've often wondered that myself, why would anyone not want to get PMs??? So yes, I have sent PMs and had them rejected because "this user does not receive PMs", or has not requested to, or requested not to, or something like that... That's why I've wondered. It's always bothered me, especially when they send me a gift, and I want to say "thank you", but then can't send a PM! So then I have to send a gift back in thanks. Darn.
Hey! Maybe that's why they chose not to get PMs! Because that way people have to give them gifts instead.

Otherwise, it really doesn't make any sense to have PMs disabled. I mean, maybe I'm an exception or something, but unless there's really something going on- like our meet up, or if I need help or am giving help- I don't hardly get any PMs. So why wouldn't you want to be able to contact someone if something like that comes up?? If you just don't want to get bothered, just don't start chatting with anyone, and TCSers seem to just leave ya alone!
Ah well, everyone has their own reasons.

Personally, I've always thought the age restrictions were kind of useless. It's a good attempt, but really kind of useless. I mean, if you KNOW you'll be restricted because of your age, wouldn't you just lie about your age? I mean, psh, I lie about my age on most things just because I worry about being hacked and someone knowing my birthday, which is often a way of proving who you are. I do like the idea behind it, young kids shouldn't have people be able to contact them privately, especially people they don't know. It just seems pretty useless to me.

I always thought only paying members could change their user title! Guess you just have to be a high ranking (high posting!) member. All right, more incentive for me to post more- just what I need!
So that means that, well, I've never changed my user title, since I can't! Hmm... I only need a few hundred more posts, and then I think I'll be able to change it... Wonder what I'll put?? I wish I were creative, too!

Well, back to work. My computer and I are having a death match here. It still thinks I should be on vacation. I'll be surprised if this even posts! Wish me luck.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here I am posting on vacation at my MIL house. I can't see any reason NOT to accept PMs except that they are too young. I never have had a message not go through except if the mail box was full. I don't change my usertitle that often and I was well aware that you had to be certain level or a paying member to change it.

Well, we are going to the beach soon! Seeya!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Well guys :cracking_my_knuckles: get your typing fingers ready the race is on

I think some people might not be here for social reasons and may seem overwhelmed my PMs and for this reason they may opt out of the PM function. I personally like the option and would never choose to not use it, unless maybe I was going on vacation and was worried about exceeding my limit of something. I am aware that members under 18 can not receive PMs. I think this is a very good built-in safety purpose. If a child/person is under a certain age, I think it is smart to limit any trouble or harassment they might run into online.

I have never sent a message to someone that returned a message or reply that they couldnt receive Private Messages. I dont even know how that works. Maybe I should search out a minor just to check it out - LOL

I think I have only changed the information in my user title maybe three times this year, but of course I only earned the privileges to modify it not too long ago when I became a Top Cat (or was it Super Cat?). And I was excited when I did. I went there and changed it soon after. And of course I changed it today for the heck of it to answer today's KatKwiz. I was aware that you had to be at a certain level to change that option, in fact when I realized I was getting close to move up in my TheCatSite status, I worked extra hard to graduate to the higher level so that I could change it. That and my avatar! I think maybe premium members can change there's at any time also, without the set limit on number of posts of amount of time on list. They also get extra rights like changing the font and colors I believe. I think I will make this short and sweet today. Let's see if I get lucky today!

PS - thanks for the points today Lee (and contributing TCS users) - for both the Kwiz and the KatKwery!
Your new usertitle has not went unnoticed!
And now that everybody knows I have been reading through the responses, I wonder when the results will be posted.
Will I do it right away? Will I wait several hours until people are already partying? Will glitch and marianjela continue in their almost gridlock? Persi and I know.
And if I continue to have bad problems in accessing TCS, when will they ever be posted? You are right, as each day goes by and as the jackpot continues to rise, there are some exciting days ahead.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp, this is my first time signing on today <gasp> and I've experienced the lag already. I sweat this site just likes to test my heart!