Suicidal cats

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I prepare the kitties' food in the kitchen, then carry the dish to the spare bathroom where I keep their food, water and litter boxes.

They always get in front of me and slow down or stop so I have to be very careful not to step on them.

Why do they do that?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know, I'm forever almost tripping over them with food in my hand., Theres been a few times that they did it and got a glob of something on their head. They just get so excited they don't understand the consequences.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

I know, I'm forever almost tripping over them with food in my hand., Theres been a few times that they did it and got a glob of something on their head. They just get so excited they don't understand the consequences.
I think they're hoping that you drop it so that they can get it.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whenever I make a move to do the slightest thing at home, like go from one spot to another, one of my cats gets very excited as if the most incredible thing ever is about to happen. So he jumps or scoots so he gets there 1/2 second before I do, and we almost invariably bonk into each other.

Also, whatever I take out of the refrigerator (for me) he greets the moment as if this is the ONE heavenly food he's been waiting for all his life ... so sometimes I offer it to him and of course, it turns out it isn't.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started working with one of my house cats a few weeks ago. He gets too worked up over food and his behavior pretty much makes me P.O.ed (knocking stuff out of my hands so that it dumps everywhere. I do not like canned cat food all over me.).

I'm basically treating him like a dog now - it works, he's smart enough to listen. He's learning to stay back from my legs and feet when I say "back" and I'm putting him in a "down" before and right after I put his food down. He must lay down 2 feet away and be calm before I will allow him up to eat. If he doesn't listen I push him back down to the floor and repeat the "down" command.
He's now in the habit that most of the time he stays out of the way and automatically goes into a down to wait for his food.

Try simple commands and see if your cat can figure it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I should try that next time I go to a restaurant. When I see the waiter coming with my food, I'll run over to him and start jumping up and down and meowing excitedly.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've started working with one of my house cats a few weeks ago. He gets too worked up over food and his behavior pretty much makes me P.O.ed (knocking stuff out of my hands so that it dumps everywhere. I do not like canned cat food all over me.).

I'm basically treating him like a dog now - it works, he's smart enough to listen. He's learning to stay back from my legs and feet when I say "back" and I'm putting him in a "down" before and right after I put his food down. He must lay down 2 feet away and be calm before I will allow him up to eat. If he doesn't listen I push him back down to the floor and repeat the "down" command.
He's now in the habit that most of the time he stays out of the way and automatically goes into a down to wait for his food.

Try simple commands and see if your cat can figure it out.
This does help with cats that tend to knock food out of your hand. I did this with Jordan. He used to jump up & knock the food out of my hand. I taught him to sit before I would put the food down. Now he just sits when he sees the food coming. They are trainable despite what people think.

Now the cat that likes to trip you, that may be a little harder. Isaac likes to walk next to me & lean against my leg. He's always trying to steer me in the direction he wants me to go. He is always under my feet. I have yet to get him to stop that.