I Can't believe it, but I think it was the Lactulose

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jordan has not had any lactulose in probably 1-2 months. He is doing awsome. He's eating like a champ. He will even eat dry food (I don't like to feed him dry very often because it makes him more constipate but when I just don't have time to separate him in the morning it is nice to have an option). He is getting to be his sassy old self. It's great to have my sassafrass back. Considering he had not had a normal blood calcium test in a year, and this was the first time I had not given him any lactulose within a couple weeks before the test, I just can't help but wonder what it was. The vet said that more than likely his blood calcium problem will not resolve completely, but I find it intresting that he acts more like himself everyday that he does not have any lactulose. I know there is no "Scientific" evidence that lactulose increases blood calcium, but I'm anxious to have his blood tested in another couple months. I know I've asked this about a billion times, but remind me again what the natural options are for constipation? Also, I believe one puts a cat at increased risk for diabetes, and he is already on pred, so I don't want to add to that possibility.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Some people have found that their cats developed hypercalcaemia (high calcium levels) after using lactulose regularly, which then improved when they stopped using lactulose."
http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#constipation

There may actually be some study on this - you might try asking Helen, who owns that site. She is currently in the process of updating some sections there.

Originally Posted by Rang_27

...I know I've asked this about a billion times, but remind me again what the natural options are for constipation?
Here's one http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB
You can read more about it here http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...em=slipperyelm
When Jean Hofve was here as a "guest expert" a little while ago, she had some other comments on SEB, here http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163773

If you want to try the SEB, see if you can get a small quantity - perhaps an ounce - from a natural foods store. The CRF site describes the taste as bitter-sweet. I found it to be "musty". I mix a very small amount into +/- an ounce of very stinky wet food - it turns into a sillyputty type consistency - I then add a little water or tuna juice to make a slurry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Balise thank you. The CRF site says that SEB is not recommended for cats with hypercalcimia. Dr. Jeans response sais that both SEB & Marshmallow (I have no idea what this is but I will look into it) are not recommended for cats with diabetes. Depending on what I find out about the Marshmallow I may try it anyway. Jordan is not diabetic, but I know he is at higher risk due to being on prednisone. I guess maybe the thing to do is just to continue to feed him the wet food that seems to help his constipation. It is expensive, but in the long run cheaper than vet trips for hypercalcimia, and certainly better for him in the long run than being on pred. It is just hard to have these multiple issues.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I am intrested in the natural options. It seems like a better idea. I am just also concerned with keeping his blood calcium down. He is doing so well right now I don't want to risk his blood calcium going up again. I also want to make sure it stays low so that I can lower his pred dosage. I may actually have some mirlax at home. When I tried it previously it did not help but that was when his blood calium was super high, and I know that can make the constipation worse. I just know I want to try some other options besides the lactulose. The vets make lactulose out to be some miracle drug without any side affects, but that is obviously not true. Thanks again for the help.