Kitty Names?

kismi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For my birthday (which is September 22!!) my husband is getting me a calico male kitten!

It is so perfect because not long ago I was just telling my husband how I always wanted a calico and I would love another little boy. And he is also just old enough to be adopted like the day before my birthday!!

I am feeling so blocked thinking of names though. My hubby thinks we should give it a name that begins with the letter K. Our other three cats all have names beginning with K. Kami, Kisa, Keeba. It really just happened on accident lol.

My mom named Kami because I had her when I lived with my family and she was more of a family cat that became mine. She is very close to me really just my angel, my sister and best friend.

Then once I moved in with my husband we decided to get another cat mostly for him as Kami is so close to me. At about the same time we saw a show on animal planet with a lynx cub named Kisa which means kitty in russian. I just loved the name!

Then right after we got home from our honey moon we found alittle stray outside. Or really he found me! Hiding under our car and crying for me as soon as he saw me aww. We named him Keeba to go along with the theme and also because I really liked it from some anime my husband watched about wolves.

At first we thought this new kitten was a girl and then I was thinking Kali & hubby was thinking Kismi but turns out its a boy!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

A male Calico? I thought all calico cats were female because it's a recessive gene.
Not common but they happen.

owenj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

A male Calico? I thought all calico cats were female because it's a recessive gene.
It's recessive and the gene appears only on the X-chromosome, so a calico male is chimeric (fusion of two embryos) or has three chromosomes (XXY) like a human with Klinefelter's syndrome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kismi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.

Yeah almost all calicos are female. Males seem to be very rare. Which is probably why they thought he was a she lol.

I love calicos they are so pretty. I remember once when I was alittle girl I had a calico kitten. But apparently she was so cute a neighbor fell in love with her and actually stole my cat
I was such a heartbroken little girl.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well maybe you should to see in a few days how is his behavior and how is their spots....
.. so this way you can choose his name..
or maybe his character...

rach80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't ever name a kitty without seeing it and figuring out it's personality first.

Mind you three of ours are shelter cats and we kept the names the shelter gave them. (Gibson, Padraig and Aslan--okay not Aslan--we renamed him cause his shelter name was Mungo Jerry and we didn't care for that name so well).

Willow we named ourselves or rather I named her. But it took me 3 days to name her after we brought her home.

Best of luck with the naming, it's always a tough choice.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is he getting a calico male? They are pretty rare. Are you sure its a male? And for a K name IF its a male - Kokie.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rach80

I can't ever name a kitty without seeing it and figuring out it's personality first.

I've tried naming cats before I got them or before I figured out what kind of purr-sonality they were gonna have, and it rarely ever works out that way.

For example, I was gonna name Geronimo "Amadeus", but after a few days, I chose Geronimo b/c he's such a 'warrior'. And Winchester was originally gonna be "Sebastian" (if my memory serves me correctly
), but b/c he's such a 'pistol', I chose Winchester instead. This was before I discovered that the Winchester rifle company doesn't make pistols.
Shows you just how much I know about guns.

Anyway, I would wait till you know what the kitten's gonna be like. It usually works out best that way.

BTW, happy birthday (early!).
I'm a September baby, too.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, if you liked Kismi, i'd stick w/that, myself.
but if it's not 'macho' enough for you - what about Kismet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kismi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning quite a bit towards Kismet.

I am a virgo I like pre-planning stuff lol. Ofcourse if I chose a name and it just didn't fit I would find something more suitable but I don't think choosing a name ahead of time is a bad thing.

Most people choose their childrens names before they are born

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like picking out names ahead of time. Charlie was named before we got him. Jack is named too and he's not born yet!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kismi

I am a virgo I like pre-planning stuff

I hear you there!
Virgos are "planners" by nature, and usually get frazzled if their plans don't work out.

That's why I like choosing names ahead of time, too. But it usually doesn't work out very well.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about Kiski?
There is an odd story behind this suggestion..I've been writing back & forth with a father & daughter online & she has published a book that her little daughter did about "Kiski the Cat". What a small world! I told them that I grew up in a place called the Kiski Valley, named after & centered around the Kiskiminetas river & even attended the Kiski Area school district. But I never once thought about how cute that name would be for a cat.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, a male calico! I would try to find a masculine name because most people will assume he was a she. How about Kosko? Or, depending on his personality (and knowing kittens) you could always change it to Kujo!
There have been MANY kittens I've been afraid of!

Congrats on your new addition, and you better post pics once you have him home safe and sound.