trans-siberian orchestra

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if there's any TSO fans here, tickets for all shows going on sale in the next few days. this will be my 5th time seeing them. can't wait.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of them, but I googled and found some videos. They're good and I'll be looking for them up here!

I looked on their website and see they are here on November 3rd!! I'll see how my finances are and may just go!

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've seen them 3 or 4 times. Love them. Have some of their CD's and listen to them even during the summer. Musically they are awesome.

Natalie_ca, they put on one heck of a show. A Christmas story to tug your heart, great music (very rock though, every year I have seen older people walking out because it is so loud and hard.), lights and even pyrotecnics.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand the nucleus of the group is from some other group, but I really like that Sarajevo video (note the kitten!).

Last year, they came to Dallas after Christmas, so we didn't go.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You gotta remember that the founders of TSO were originally part of the heavy metal band Savatage. So they've really tamed it down for TSO!
They are such a fantastic band!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love TSO!!!! My husband offered to buy tickets for my BFF and I to go last year, since he couldn't go. But she had to go out of town and we had to scrap that plan. I hope this year it's doable. I've never seen them but have several DVDs. Love Sarajevo and that kitten is sooooo sweet and tiny!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

A Christmas story to tug your heart, great music (very rock though, every year I have seen older people walking out because it is so loud and hard.), lights and even pyrotecnics.
No matter how you dress it up, it's still metal. People conveniently forget this, will love TSO and say all metal sucks...

I don't think it was tamed down too much. The Savatage albums that Paul O'Neill produced have the same polish and sound.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

No matter how you dress it up, it's still metal. People conveniently forget this, will love TSO and say all metal sucks...

I don't think it was tamed down too much. The Savatage albums that Paul O'Neill produced have the same polish and sound.
I'm going to have to check out Savatage. I love the sound of TSO and I thank you for the tip!

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is funny to sit there before the concert starts and see if you can pick out who will leave. I'm afraid some older folks get suckered in by the the Orchestra part of the name and the Christmas theme.

And even after seeing them so many time, I still tear up during Old City Bar.

"The child said "I've noticed, that if one could be home, they'd be already there.""

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

I'm going to have to check out Savatage. I love the sound of TSO and I thank you for the tip!
Try Dead Winter Dead. Great story, where the Christmas idea came from - and the song Sarajevo, and you'll probably prefer Zak Stevens vocals to Jon Oliva. I prefer Oliva, but that's only because his voice it so distinctive and, well, metal.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

Natalie_ca, they put on one heck of a show. A Christmas story to tug your heart, great music (very rock though, every year I have seen older people walking out because it is so loud and hard.), lights and even pyrotecnics.
I love rock and metal!! The louder the better!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Try Dead Winter Dead. Great story, where the Christmas idea came from - and the song Sarajevo, and you'll probably prefer Zak Stevens vocals to Jon Oliva. I prefer Oliva, but that's only because his voice it so distinctive and, well, metal.
I just ordered Dead Winter Dead from Amazon. Lots to choose from after that.
Thanks again!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so excited! My DH and I went last year to see them for the first time (but we've been fans for years) with his family. I cannot wait to go see them again.

This is an exciting year for us...Video Games Live (it was GREAT!), Robin Williams (sooo excited), TSO...and Stomp is coming to Purdue next year.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of their CD's. I think there music is great!!
Don't know if if could sit through their concert as they have been in the area in the past.
I think they would be great to see and hear live!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am just now listening to Dead Winter Dead....and loving it! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for turning me on to them!!!!

I will def be buying some more of their CDs. My Thai kitten doesn't appreciate it, but he's not thrilled with the home theater when we watch movies either.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

I am just now listening to Dead Winter Dead....and loving it! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for turning me on to them!!!!
I'm glad you like them! The next one to check out would be The Wake of the Magellan, I think it's better then Dead Winter Dead.

And if you really like this type of music - Savatage are considered traditional power metal/American power metal (instead of the faster European style), I can suggest a few other bands you can check out on youtube.