second cat?

jan&harley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Im new to this site and wondered if anyone can give me some advice? I have a 1 and half year old, male, neutoured rescue cat that ive now had 7months, he has settled in really well and you would think he had lived her all his life. Im now considering getting a second rescue cat but dont know what type would be appropriate. Should I get another boy or girl? should it be much younger so Harley feels like the boss? and how likely will Harley accept an intruder to our home? Any advice please

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jan&harley

Hi Im new to this site and wondered if anyone can give me some advice? I have a 1 and half year old, male, neutoured rescue cat that ive now had 7months, he has settled in really well and you would think he had lived her all his life. Im now considering getting a second rescue cat but dont know what type would be appropriate. Should I get another boy or girl? should it be much younger so Harley feels like the boss? and how likely will Harley accept an intruder to our home? Any advice please
My one year old cat, Persi, accepted Alley, probably about three, without any problems on his side even though he was the established boss of the house. He kept trying to be friends with Alley and she would hiss at him, bite his ears when he tried to get close to her. However, after about a week they were joining us together in our bed when it was bedtime and they are best friends now.

You have found the best cat site around!

We have a lot of support and advice to give here. Our members are always ready and willing to help you or just chat with you. We also have a game called KatKwiz (cat quiz), designed for newcomers just like yourself, which teaches you things about The Cat Site and also allows you to win lots of points. (It also teaches you what points are.) Just click on the here link below to learn more. Glad you decided to join us!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you have a male, it won't matter as much. Females tend to be more terrritorial and take longer to accept a newcomer if they are the resident cat.

Personally I'd adopt a younger male kitten that was neutered.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your furfamily to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s really hard to say. As a general rule though male cats are friendlier then females. We had Capone first and then we got Bugsy who is older. They hissed and were crusty for about two days (which is normal, most cats are crusty when meeting new cats). Then they went to being best friends, and now they are just brothers. They have never fought, they play a lot but they never cuddle anymore.

I would get a male, age doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t matter. Some older cats may be less likely to be friendly. Then again some older cats at the shelter might be better then a kitten because theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve lived with other cats before.

I would go to your shelter (if thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s where you are going) and read the profiles, talk to the staff, maybe they can help you find a perfect cat.

Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s how we got Bugsy. To be honest he wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t what I wanted… at all lol. They recommended him, we got him, and now heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s my little cuddle monster.

Good luck and keep us updated! And Welcome!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd consider another kitty about the same age....1-3 years old. Don't look at sex - but rather look at purr-sonality. You want to find one that'll be a good match. (For example - if he's a playful/active cat, then don't go for a "lounge" type cat)

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not go by sex either. I would look at cats and see what you fall in love with and how the cat acts. My Coco who is 16 is the best cat with new kittens. I have to pry them off her because they try to nurse on her. I wish they would not become so close to her because her age. I would get another cat within a few years of his age.

carebear4600

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 11 month female and just found a 9 week female at first my older (Cinnamon) couldn't stand the baby but he now become very close to her protective even especailly when it comes time to trim the claws the baby makes a little cry and from out of nowhere comes Cinnamon meowing at me to let her alone lol it's the cutest thing.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome to TheCatSite

I am so glad that you have joined our community of caring people who love cats.
Please make yourself at home.