These ferals are toying with me!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw a pregnant tortie and a tabby kitty at DHs work last week, and I've been putting a trap out since. The first time, the tortie put her head in the trap, then decided against it when a car drove by and scared her.

I've been putting it out most of the nights since, but haven't seen them.

Tonight, I put the trap out, got back into the car, and out of the corner of my eye saw them. They were sitting together about 20m away on top of a mound watching me. Once I was back in the car, then both wandered down to check out the trap, so I drove off to let them be, but sure enough - no kitties in the trap a few hours later.

I'm leaving the food out afterwards - I don't want to starve her since she is pregnant, but I don't want her to be full either, so I jut leave out a small amount.

I can't believe she was waiting for me, and watching me.

It's weird they're sticking together like glue as well. She tabby is smaller, so I thought it could be a kitten from a previous litter, but the tabby looks like it's be at least 9 months old. I don't often see ferals hanging out together. Is that normal?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I saw a pregnant tortie and a tabby kitty at DHs work last week, and I've been putting a trap out since. The first time, the tortie put her head in the trap, then decided against it when a car drove by and scared her.

I've been putting it out most of the nights since, but haven't seen them.

Tonight, I put the trap out, got back into the car, and out of the corner of my eye saw them. They were sitting together about 20m away on top of a mound watching me. Once I was back in the car, then both wandered down to check out the trap, so I drove off to let them be, but sure enough - no kitties in the trap a few hours later.

I'm leaving the food out afterwards - I don't want to starve her since she is pregnant, but I don't want her to be full either, so I jut leave out a small amount.

I can't believe she was waiting for me, and watching me.

It's weird they're sticking together like glue as well. She tabby is smaller, so I thought it could be a kitten from a previous litter, but the tabby looks like it's be at least 9 months old. I don't often see ferals hanging out together. Is that normal?
Can be. My Giorgio has a side kick. He is semi feral though. My friend has a set of ferals that were best friends. katie has ferals that hang out together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know someone with a drop trap who is going to help me out tonight. We will get them!!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hope you do!! I have been trying to catch a cat for quite some time. We tried the drop trap, and it worked, but he was quick and broke right out. We are trying again as soon as the drop trap is repaired and we will move quickly this time. Good luck, please keep us posted. I am curious, do all cats freak out in a trap or do some finally feel relieved to be caught? I must admit, I am nervous as to how upset they get. It would be so nice if they just walked into a carrier and then off to the vet!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
KRZ, we've had it go both ways. Some completely FREAK OUT and it is scary. We're always so scared they're going to hurt themselves.
(So far we haven't had one that has.
) Others just go completely silent and are just so terrified they can't move. In fact, those ones are usually completely docile at the vet too.
Go figure.

Sarah - we've had it both ways. The older ferals I've never seen hanging out together, but I suspect none of them were related or knew each other from when they were younger. But you know what's up with Billy, Bing - and before we nabbed tham all, with their sister. So I think that if they "know" each other from when they're young, it wouldn't be unusual for them to hang out together.

Sending heaps of successful trapping vibes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No luck
We had the drop trap, and both cats were watching us set it up, but they didn't go near it. The pregnant tortie is wary, and as it turns out, the tabby is notched. We're thinking that there's someone else feeding them because they weren't too excited about the food.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just found out they're being fed - the feeding station I set up a year ago is still going (people who work there are filling the feeder), it's just been moved to another corner. So they're going to stop feeding them until I give them the go ahead. NOW I'll get them!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good for you, I wish you the best!! It's nice to know someone else cares about these kitties too.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I'm surprised!! I started this feeding station over a year ago, and someone else took it over, but when I didn't see it, I figured they got bored with it. I'm really pleased to know they have kept it up!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have been outsmarted by yourself.
I think it is cool someone took over your feeding station.
Without that those kitties will be yours! You have to get pregnant Mama.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Problem is that I currently have a kitten in my feral cat recovery cage
I'm hoping to get more more of her siblings tonight. I guess I'll take whoever I have to the shelter tomorrow, so I have room for the preggo kitty, and if they want me to foster them for a bit, I'll grab another crate and try to catch the pregnant momma tomorrow night and have her in a separate area in the spare room.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Best of Luck, Sarah! That rocks that someone is carrying on with your feeding station. That must make you feel great !
I have to say that my Mama who was preggo came around and was much more friendly when she was "with kittens"
Maybe they are thankful that we are feeding them when they are worn out and don't want to hunt .

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sigh, no luck. I put the traps out for the kittens and their mama at one site, then went to the other site nearby to try and get the pregnant momma. She didn't come which isn't a good sign - I hope she isn't off having babies!

No luck with any kitties.