Need a prayer/vibe or two (health)

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely ask, especially for myself. But my past is kinda catching up with me.

If anyone reading this has met me or seen my pictures, you know I'm very fair skinned. I, like most of us in my generation (I'm approaching 36), spent a good chunk of my childhood in the sun, whether playing, or goofing off in the pool. I had my fair share of sunburns and stuff. I used to get mole-checks regularly many years ago, but since I've moved around so much since 2001, I haven't established myself with a dermatologist (also a lack of insurance has deterred me). Now, I have a mole just under my jaw line which has been there a number of years, but just in the last few days has hardened, and when I looked at it a few minutes ago close up with a mirror, I noticed its appearance had changed... not good. REALLY not good. My aunt used to sunbathe religiously and had many, many cancerous moles removed several years ago... she learned her lesson.

So, I'm going to blindly pick a dermatologist from the same group as my Primary Care (a local teaching hospital), and in the morning, I'm going to see how quickly I can get my urgent mole, and all the others, in for a visit. I hope they're somewhere close to being as good as my former dermatologist. He was THE top dermatologist in the SF/Bay Area... sadly, I don't live there anymore, and it takes you weeks to get in to see him. if he's even practicing anymore.

So, I'm asking for prayers/vibes that I get a good doctor, and that it's not malignant. My insurance s*cks as it is... God help me if this ends up worse than just an annoying mole... pray for it being carcinogenic... not malignant... malignant bad... very bad.

I'll most likely be spending the rest of my vacation time locked inside with a bandage on my face... *sigh*

And hope i get in ASAP... these guys have been really strange lately... well, the clinic I go to has...

Wish me luck/vibes/good thoughts!!

Amanda

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just something to think about. My Uncle is fair skinned. he's been an electrician for 40 years. in Phoenix. He has had at least 20 cancerous moles/marks removed from his face and arms over the years.

The reason I say this is just so you realize that most times local removal is all it takes. The last time my uncle got cosmetic surgery to overcome the scar.

So hang in there!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I, too have been going through something similar with some moles that devloped on my shin. They just removed them and everything was fine. I have an appt in 2 weeks for another removal. Here is hoping that yours is nothing serious, too

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
super uber vibes coming to you remember it could be nothin and if IF its some thing it can be easily removed okay
Jess x

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is OHSU you should be absolutely fine. They have some excellent doctors. I use some of them and have been happy with my care. I am a very picky patient and expect a lot from my doctor.
I do have an excellent recommendation for one if you need it after you see this one. Just PM me and I will give it to you.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
both my parents had to have cancerous marks removed from their skin so I know how it is
good luck with your hunt for a good derm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad just had a non-cancerous one removed a month or so ago... then again, he's 82 and works out in the garden, despite wearing a hat... and it was done in the doctor's office... so I know they do it there...

So, I just called, and of course this happens (the way of things for me) on the ONE weekday they don't have office hours... Wednesday. There is telephone support after 9:15... it's 8am now... so I'll finish my breakfast, maybe take a shower and go grocery shopping, and then when I get back, I'll call again...

Yes, it's OHSU... their dermatology clinic/center/offices. My issue is that I've developed a healthy distrust of male doctors... and there aren't many in that particular office who are female... at least who are currently accepting patients... so I'll try again later this morning...

My body is notorious for doing things like getting sick, injured, etc right before the weekend, or right before the one day of the week no doctors are available... believe me, this is a normal occurrence... so, there's a part of me that's really not surprised at this being a non-clinic day...

Off to try and enjoy Day Two of my holiday...

Amanda

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, hmmm... the earliest appointment i can get is in four weeks... oh, bother.

So, I talked to my dad and he suggested a few things:
1. call my primary care office and try to get in ASAP
2. go ahead and leave my cruddy insurance company (i.e. cancel it through work), and get Kaiser (they've apparently vastly improved since the 1990's), or
3. hit up an urgent care facility.... for a mole. Ummm.... yeah... sure, dad.

So, I called my primary... I won't be seeing my actual doctor, but another one in the clinic... which is fine... I'll be there in an hour...

I may still switch to Kaiser at some point... like after I get some other bills paid off in the next few months... but we'll see...

I'll report back after the visit...

Amanda

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It'll get removed Tuesday. Depending on the biopsy results I may cancel or keep the appointment in four weeks with the Dermatologist. They did a mole check and he said the rest of my numerous moles look fine... but that one is questionable... will keep the updates going as things happen.

Thanks everyone...

Amanda

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope all goes well!

Many that it's not cancerous!

Keep us updated!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I happy to hear that you got in to see your primary, I was going to suggest that. I had a suspicious mole that my GP found and they got me into a dermatologist faster with their referral. Turned out to be nothing, but they did say I had pre-cancerous markers or something like that. Melanoma runs in my family, my brother also has the same issues. I hope that it is fine and is benign, but on the off chance that they do find malignant cells, remember that Melanoma is 100% curable if detected early enough. And it does seem that you are right up on the changes in it's appearance.

Good luck to you and keep us updated!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
***UPDATE***

So, it was removed this morning... I think the local anesthetic is starting to wear off a bit, because it's starting to hurt a little... so the one doctor has a sense of humor (granted, there were three of them in there)... After they'd put a folded towel over my eyes to block out the HUGE exam light pointed at my face... he decided to lift the table a little more for the other doctor... he told me he was going to do it... so partway through, I commented 'yeah, I've had better roller coasters' to which he laughed... so after all the humor (and the "you're doing great's" from the doc with the knife), they stichted me up and slapped a HUGE white bandaid on my neck... this thing is the size of China, I swear... it runs from my earlobe to my chin... the mole was only 6mm! Yeesh...

But they removed it, apparently cutting fairly deep, and have sent it off to have the labs look it over... it'll take 1-2 weeks for results. I'll go back next Tuesday to have the sutures removed...

now to get rid of this cold/flu I have so I can go back to work Thursday...

Amanda

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't it feel great to have it gone?

Now come the vibes for it to be nothing at all...

Did they say you could have an ice pack? That helped my father a lot...