I just bought my first laptop!!!!

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope its not a pain to get "put together"! I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. Spot has been all over it--its funny how they investigate everything new in the house.
But I got it on sale for $499!!!!! Its a Compaq--the guys at the store were floored when I pointed out the price--they didn't know about the sale themselves.

Wish me luck.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the laptop...They are not difficult to assemble I think when I got mine the only thing I needed to do was put the battery in, hook up the adapter and install a couple of programs very easy...

I will say now that I have my laptop I would never go back to a PC at home. They are great..

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laptops are easy to set up. Just plug in the cords into the back of the computer, open the lid and press the on button. The cords only fit into certain ports, so you can't mess up.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laptops are great!!! I find it hard to think about going back to a desktop with the portability of having my laptop, especially since I take it back & forth for work and my home use.

Have fun with your new toy!! That is a great deal.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i didn't have to do anything to mine, other than plug cords in... but then, it's a mac - maybe that's the difference?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah you won't have any trouble at all.

I have a nice laptop with a big 17inch LCD widescreen. lots of ram and other goodies.... I've had it 6 months and it has not left my condo once. I don't know what I was thinking, I have no use for it AT ALL.

So i'm selling it. Someone is going to get a very nice laptop when I sell it. it doesn't have a scratch on it and it's brand new with a new leather case, portable mouse and even a cellular broadband card. I'd sell it for half what I paid for it.

Craig's list here I come!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
laptops are ok, but they dont play games well, unles you go to the ones that are about 5000 dollars

lol i want mac notebook, just because i have never really used a mac before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. Its set up. It was pretty easy. However, I haven't connected it to my internet yet so I'm still on the desktop. Its very strange getting used to the mouse pad thingie on it.
I can't figure out for the life of me how to turn the volume up or down--I see the icon for it on the page up and down buttons but can't get it to do anything.
It has Windows Vista on it which I've heard alot of negative things about but I think it seems pretty cool.
I only need it to surf the web, upload pictures and store music on so I won't use too many bells and whistles.
I have to say that the keyboard and mouse are so out of my comfort zone that I'll probably keep the desktop nearby for easy hookup until I get used to it

I don't "game" Bruce so no big deal for me--PS,
glad you're on here--people have been worried about you. I think you're the most popular person on here!
If no one else in your life misses you when you're gone, you can count on us realizing you're not here.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might find it easier to get an external mouse (USB)., That's what I do. i HATE those mousepads and thumbsticks.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

You might find it easier to get an external mouse (USB)., That's what I do. i HATE those mousepads and thumbsticks.
i have this one: logitech mini wireless mouse. it's around $17 @ walmart & uses 1 AA battery. works on both windows & mac platforms.
i also have the trackpad set so that input from it is ignored when the mouse is plugged in - prevents cat usage!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DId you know there is software out there that literally detects "cat like typing" and can prevent it?

I thought that was hiliarous but it's true.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

Ok. Its set up. It was pretty easy. However, I haven't connected it to my internet yet so I'm still on the desktop. Its very strange getting used to the mouse pad thingie on it.
I can't figure out for the life of me how to turn the volume up or down--I see the icon for it on the page up and down buttons but can't get it to do anything.
It has Windows Vista on it which I've heard alot of negative things about but I think it seems pretty cool.
I only need it to surf the web, upload pictures and store music on so I won't use too many bells and whistles.
I have to say that the keyboard and mouse are so out of my comfort zone that I'll probably keep the desktop nearby for easy hookup until I get used to it

I don't "game" Bruce so no big deal for me--PS,
glad you're on here--people have been worried about you. I think you're the most popular person on here!
If no one else in your life misses you when you're gone, you can count on us realizing you're not here.
aww thank you

look in the manual for the sound level. on my old compaq there was a + - key that i had to press shift, then those keys to change sound levels, most laptops are not really that loud, i carry a small set of speakers that i use with my IBM work laptop, also the usb mouse idea is a good one.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here with the keys for up and down on my Dell. I think it's pretty much standard stuff on laptops. I have it on my IBM thinkpad as well (work). Well it's a lenova now I guess.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

DId you know there is software out there that literally detects "cat like typing" and can prevent it?

I thought that was hiliarous but it's true.
this is it: pawsense... doesn't come for mac, yet, tho.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

this is it: pawsense... doesn't come for mac, yet, tho.
I thought it was ironic that fastnoc was telling you about software that detects cats on a keyboard when you are the biggest promoter of pawsense

You will adjust to the mouse on the laptop, Farrah, it just just takes a little time.

Where is your new kitty cat?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a desktop but never use it. I like laptops better. I have a MacBook and a Sony. My Compaqs both broke years ago. I like the Mac the best and want the new thin Mac later on.