How Many Websites Do You Have Saved In Your Favorites Folders?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 20, but 3 of them were there when I got the computer. I thought of deleting them, but they may be useful some day so I just keep them. 17 of them are ones that I chose to save.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally have around 50 but clean house about twice a month..If I find something that interest me I may save that page for a few days until I get a chance to go over it all..Or in the case of TCS it's a permanent save

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 8 on the toolbar, just below the address bar

- BBC News headlines
- Our home intranet
- My uni library database link
- Uni "Study Desk" which is where the message boards are, and they post updates to assignments and that kind of thing
- The webcam hubby has at his desk at work
I can see when he's at his desk, and if he's on the phone, so I know whether it's worth calling him
- The click a day free food thing for the Animal Rescue site
- The city public library website
- A link with how to grill just about everything you could ever want to grill - it has great tips

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I have 20, but 3 of them were there when I got the computer. I thought of deleting them, but they may be useful some day so I just keep them. 17 of them are ones that I chose to save.
I have 20 as well. We must be soul mates.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just counted them. 240. Not sure how many of them still work, as they've been collecting for a couple of years! One of these days I'm going to have to clean house and get rid of the ones that are defunct. There's quite a few that I would be devastated to lose....especially all of the various and sundry CRF links I've saved.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a folder - mine are just in Bookmarks

But some of my "topics" are:

Religious (Crosswalks.com)
3 different video (GodTube, UTube, and Metacafe)
Several cat related sites
One dog site (labrador)
Ebay
Weather
and a few others.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 50, but I should get rid of them since most are set on various speed dials

I have speed dials (with 9 sites on each) for 'most used' , 'shelter' , 'work' , 'forums' , 'news' and 'bills'

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

.Or in the case of TCS it's a permanent save
That's the first one I saved!

I lost all the favorites I had saved when the first computer crashed, and then when we got the new one. So now I'm having to start all over again. I probably had over a hundred on the old computer..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Oh gosh, I have tons, probably a few hundred. Most of them I dont go to, but I saw them once and thought they were neat
at least at school there're that many, if not more. at home, not so much - but i haven't had the home computer for that long... i'm sure i'll be adding more as the years pass!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my lord, I don't know if I can count that high! Well, let me put it this way. I signed up for TCS and saved it to favorites back in 2004. I haven't cleaned ANY out since then. I still have all the favorite wedding sites in the list, and I got married in 2005. Yeah, I really need to do housekeeping on my computer.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one thing I absolutely detest about computer crashes is that they see to happen to me every 3 - 4 years, and I always loose my bookmarks. !!!!

I conduct equity research for a living, so these days my bookmark files are like regular hard copy files I had 15 years ago.

Here are my current CATEGORIES of bookmark files - each one has 20 - 100+ bookmarks in it and those with a lot usually have sub-category folders in them:

Wall Street Sites
Oil & Gas
Institutional Ownership
Titanium
Gold
Other Metals & Mining
Coal
Energy - General
China
Tankers
Coffee
Radiology
Long Term Care
Semiconductors
Housing Disaster
Subprime
General Econ Commentary
RVs
Rules & Regs
Accounting
Russia
Nuclear
Stock Universe (this one has 70 - 100 folders in it with relevent sites for each company (and its competitors) we've researched this past - about 18 months)

Then I have a Personal section, that has these categories:

Cat Rescue
Cat Health
Cat Misc
Cat Graphics
Cluster Headaches
IBS
Sleep
Brain Tumors

So.... I've got thousands of bookmarks.

There has GOT to be a way to save them to a file I can back-up, because any time I lose them it is a MAJOR PIA!

Laurie

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

There has GOT to be a way to save them to a file I can back-up, because any time I lose them it is a MAJOR PIA!

Laurie
can you save them to a flash drive? or maybe someplace like del.icio.us?
i started transferring my school ones to del.icio.us last spring, hoping i'd get a new job & want to take them with me... never finished, 'cause i didn't get a new job.
i was only saving the necessary stuff.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

can you save them to a flash drive? or maybe someplace like del.icio.us?
i started transferring my school ones to del.icio.us last spring, hoping i'd get a new job & want to take them with me... never finished, 'cause i didn't get a new job.
i was only saving the necessary stuff.
Hmmm.... With a quick look, I don't really see how to save them on that site. ?? And I wouldn't know how to save them to a flash drive.

You know, maybe it's a question I should ask in Technical support - see if anyone knows how to do this. I would be willing to take the time to highlight each one, right click on it and copy it and paste it to word or excel file or something. But that would only copy the title of the link, not the actual link. I'd have to go through and go to each one, and then copy it to paste it into some kind of file - and I just don't have that kind of time!

What I SHOULD have been doing is each time I bookmark a site, I should have just copied it THEN and pasted it into a word file or something. Slightly time consuming - but super time-saving for that inevitable day......

I know - it's crazy, but I don't back up my computer that often.
The one thing I do is copy all of my work files (all organized in file folders under about 8 main ones - almost all are word, excel, powerpoint or pdf) onto a flash drive every couple of weeks.

Laurie

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only have 5 sites saved in my favorites folder. I save everything in my bookmarks instead. I make folders for each category and since I have close to 150 sites in there, it's great to be organized

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so many now. Before my other computer messed up I had lot - at least 50-75 on dysautonomia, research, and related conditions/health problems alone. Very good links that I miss.
I also had a lot of Japanese sites bookmarked -fat chance of finding some of those again, it was pure luck the first time.

The sad thing is that I knew I needed to back them up, had exported them and was going to email them to myself (ftp client was installed on a partition that already had some corruption) but didn't get the chance. I'm hoping that my D partition was spared most of the corruption that I know that hard drive got, and that I might be able to recover some stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, is there a way that you could copy & paste all your sites that you want to save, and then maybe send them in an e-mail to yourself?

I know how important some of those sites are to you - especially the cat-related ones I'm presuming.
If it's any help, I saved the links that you sent to me way back when, and if you ever need them, let me know.

Tiff