Hanna, Ike and Josephine

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw on the news that there are 3 tropical storms in the Atlantic headed towards Florida. Josephine is the furthest out but is expected to reach hurricane status on Thursday.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been keeping an eye on TWC, too. Mainly due to Gustav and wondering what was gonna happen with that. Now I'll be tuning in to find out what's gonna happen with the other three..

Wonderful, huh?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to say... I love the whole Hurricane naming scheme and that it's alphabetical order, and they have 8 different lists of names they rotate each year, and that they retire names if that hurricane is particularly destructive.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone here is freaking out about Hanna. According to the latest track, it should hit Georgia around Friday, then ride up the east coast. We're not worried, but everyone is crossing their fingers on the company closing (which it's only done once in the last 18 years) and saying Charleston is gonna flood. Which is no different than any other time it rains
Downtown is always underwater when it starts raining.

Last I checked, Hanna even lost hurricane status.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're on our way to the gulf coast tomorrow for a few days to see DH's family (it's their parent's 35th anniversary on the 5th). I'm hoping all of the nasty weather holds off for a few days!

I have a feeling if it starts to get bad his aunt may come and stay with us (she lives in Floriday).

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck. I hope it dissipates quickly. It seems they are being churned out one after the other right now.
Get your supplies now before its too late.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ya, based on Hanna's track, it could come on land right where we live!! (north central Florida). If Hanna doesn't hit land until farther north we will still get bad weather here...seeing as how they judge the track based on the eye of the storm, not all the outer bands that still cause lots of problems! So looking like heavy winds and rain here somewhere around Friday. Right now Ike and Josephine aren't predicted to come to the US but it's too early to really tell!

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in Upstate South Carolina. We always get a ton of rain and storms. I have friends who live in Florida and Charleston, I hope them and all of you in the path are safe! Please evacuate if they tell you to!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The national hurricane center keeps updating their tracking info on Hanna.
Now it's predicting landfall of the eye, just north of Wilmington, NC.

That's about 60 to 80 miles from our house. Going to be an interesting weekend.

Hopefully Hanna stays an "unorganized tropical storm" like the weather folks are saying.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

My place made it through Floyd, I doubt Hanna can do any worse.
Floyd hit pretty bad in NJ back in 99, I do remember that hurricane. Tore a lotta trees out of the ground where I lived.

They have Hanna tracked on our homepage at work. Looks like it'll hit above Charleston, more towards Georgetown. Nothing less than a cat 4 will get me to leave though. Summerville doesn't flood like downtown does.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it doesn't hit 50 miles north of Wilmington, NC, that will be directly on top of Dawn of Sierra, and me. I guess I better stock up a little better. The more prepared I am, the less likely the hurricane is to hit me.
Great! I was hoping to be away from here before any more hurricanes came.

rach80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are prolly going to get the outer edge of Hannah...as it turns out more and more models have it skirting the coast of VA. But we will be getting rain and thunderstorms from it.

As for Ike...that remains to be seen, but from what I can see it is taking a track toward probably a Miami area landfall. But if it decides to take the same track as Hannah then we may have something to be concerned about out where I'm at.

Josephine thus far is expected to go off to sea and not affect the mainland of the US.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

That's the main weather site that we use to track weather it's very reliable and updates quite frequently.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I hope it doesn't hit 50 miles north of Wilmington, NC, that will be directly on top of Dawn of Sierra, and me. I guess I better stock up a little better. The more prepared I am, the less likely the hurricane is to hit me.
Great! I was hoping to be away from here before any more hurricanes came.
Yep, looks as if it's heading straight for us, oh joy.
I went hurricane grocery shopping last night, and not surprisingly, the shelves were pretty much stripped bare of water and bread. We're stocked up, though, and ready for whatever may come. Being across the sand dune from the ocean, I'm hoping it's not very much...

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, maybe y'all can tell me... why do people always buy bread (and milk)? One of THE most perishable foodstuffs about especially if it gets wet?

Why not pop-top canned goods?

Water I understand.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Okay, maybe y'all can tell me... why do people always buy bread (and milk)? One of THE most perishable foodstuffs about especially if it gets wet?

Why not pop-top canned goods?

Water I understand.
That's always the popular joke on the radio stations when a hurricane is coming.

Where I live just about everyone owns a generator, so perishable foods are fine, just plug the fridge into the generator and you're all set.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to wish u the best with these hurricanes ,we are lucky not to have them nor major flooding/storms here x postive vibes that they go away :vi bes:
Jess x