5 week old kitten concern

pinkmonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend is going to get kittens, 3 of them to be exact and the people that are giving them away are ready to do so when they are 5 weeks old. According to my friend the momma cat is no longer producing milk. Since it's been FOREVER since I've had a kitten and the last one I did, I found it at about 1 week of age, it had been abandonded and I fed it with a doll bottle and cows milk (this was 20+ yrs ago) and Sugar Bear lived many, many years.

What can I tell her about getting a baby so young? There are 6 kittens total I believe. I've not seen them. She said the "owners" said the kitten push their face into the water, but they aren't positive that they are drinking on their own and are eating dry kitten food. I don't feel right about them leaving their momma at such a young age.

TIA.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not right at all, they need to stay with mum until at least 10 weeks old and preferably 12-16 weeks old, to learn litterbox habits and that biting/clawing during play hurts. They could be emotionally traumatised by such an early separation from the comfort of their mum, even if she has no milk they still need to have her to cuddle up to and to clean them.

Kittens that are orphaned young often have behavioural peculiarities such as sucking fingers and fabrics for comfort, and the behaviours often remain into adulthood - while it may seem endearing to us it's the equivalent of a 30 year old human sucking a dummy and carrying round a 'blankie' and is a sign of severe emotional insecurity. They are also more likely to play too rough with humans and other animals, and may never learn not to bite and scratch and attack feet to get attention (My cat that I got at 8 weeks old is now over 2 years and still does these things, it is very painful and causes injury!) There is also the issue that at such a young age they are more susceptible to disease. While it cannot be helped in orphaned kittens, it is in my opinion cruel (and potentially harmful to their health) to deliberately separate them at such a young age

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkmonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should add too I think she's a bit upset with me because I told her that I feel they are too young to be away from the momma, they need the nutrients and social skills learned from the momma cat.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkmonkey

I should add too I think she's a bit upset with me because I told her that I feel they are too young to be away from the momma, they need the nutrients and social skills learned from the momma cat.
Better that she is upset with you than you being upset with yourself for not speaking your mind
Hopefully she will see sense!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkmonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Better that she is upset with you than you being upset with yourself for not speaking your mind
Hopefully she will see sense!
This is true. I don't think she's thought it all the way through. So we'll see. I hope she listens and doesn't take them home tonight like she was planning.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens taken too young from their mother may have separation anxiety problems and other behavior problems. They, and your friend, will be happier if they are at least 8 weeks old before they leave mom, and even that is on the young end of the spectrum.