*sigh* I should have just stayed home!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was the first day of my work trial. I went for 1/2 day of training last Thursday, but they should have had us there the whole day because by the time we had our tour and they set up the computers, we actually only had about 2 1/2 hours of computer training. They were to finish it up today.

I woke up bright and early, made sure I had everything I needed to take with me. I decided at 7:50am to take my garbage out before my ride came. I planned on taking it down in a push cart (used cat litter is heavy), and then come back up and get my stuff and go back down for my ride.

I waited at the elevator for 10 minutes and it didn't arrive. I couldn't even hear them moving. I went back to my apartment and called the caretaker who informed me that 1 of the elevators is broken and the other one just might be very busy.

I went back to the elevator, by this time it was 8:05 and the elevator door had just opened. I got in and pressed main floor. The elevator shot up to the penthouse floor and then proceeded to stop at every single floor on the way down, including mine. No one got on any of the floors. And the elevator that I was on was the slow one. It takes forever for the door to shut. It took me 10 minutes to get to the main floor. By this time I felt that steam was going to come out of my ears.

I got to the hospital and sat there waiting for the other 2 girls who were training today to. One showed up, the other one didn't.

The plan was to have a 90 minute hospital orientation and get our name badges and sign confidentiality agreements. We were done in 30 minutes.

We called the computer guy who wasn't expecting us to call him until 10:30am. He told us to go and wander around and have coffee and call him back at 11am. We decided to go and have our lunch so that we could just get on with the computer stuff instead of having to break a hour or so into it.

I called him at 11:00 and was told that the rest of today was cancelled, and that tomorrow was too, and to come back on Friday.

Now in the meantime I had booked Handi Transit and they were picking me up at 3:30pm. I called to see if they could get me earlier, but they couldn't, which meant that I either took a cab home or sat there waiting for 4 hours and there is no way my back could tolerate that.

The cab fare home was $8.20. I gave him $20 and he gave me back 2 five dollar bills and then proceeded to write out my receipt. I don't mind tipping, but I don't like it when they try and take their tip automatically, so I told him that I still had change coming to me. He acted surprised, but gave me the change. I didn't leave tip because he "assumed", and I don't like that!

Oh, and to top it off that one girl who did show up was stuck to me like glue. I wanted to go off and spend some time unwinding from my bad start this morning but she wouldn't let me out of her sight. If she was a bit in front of me she kept turning around to make sure I was still near her and hadn't gone off and left her. It's not that she doesn't know her way around there because that is the hospital she worked at before she went off sick. Plus she felt the need to fill up every single second with idle chatter, even during this films we were supposed to be watching, so needless to say I missed a good portion of what was being said because I couldn't hear it over her constant chatting. I think I only work with her 2 of my 4 days, which IMHO is 2 days too much

Anyway, I'm going to go and have something chocolate and go and lay down and read for a bit.

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well hopefully chocolate works for you my friend..I know what the chatty person is like..I got stuck working with someone like that once...
of course once I put headphones on and ignored her..she got the idea...
and luckily doesn't work with me anymore...
I'm sorry you had such a bad day...
*hug* here have a hug and hopefully the rest of the day will be good.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you had such a hard time today.

Did your chocolate and book reading help with your un-winding?

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such a let-down after you were so enthusiastic about getting in there and getting started..
Fingers-crossed things go more smoothly for you Friday..

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The elevator problems would have really peeved me off!!
Then to add to the hospital training being cancelled for the next couple of days and the taxi ride.Grrrr.......

And the chatty girl-I would have been ready to blow!!

I hope you are feeling better now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

Sounds like a horrible day. Hopefully the chocolate will make you feel better!
Not sure if it was the chocolate or the nap and kitty cuddles, but I feel better now

Originally Posted by mistressotdark

I know what the chatty person is like..I got stuck working with someone like that once...
of course once I put headphones on and ignored her..she got the idea...
This one would have just talked louder!

Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

Sorry you had such a hard time today.

Did your chocolate and book reading help with your un-winding?
I think the kitty cuddles actually helped more than the chocolate

Originally Posted by sarahp

Oh man what a let down!! I hope it gets better soon!
Thanks! I'm eager to get this going. I spoke to the insurance company earlier and they're so not impressed and they're going to make sure I get reimbursed for the taxi ride seeing it was through no fault of my own that I had to incur it. Heck, I even asked in volunteer services if they had something else I could do for the 4 hours until my ride comes. What I could do is limited to dealing with patient charts because not all volunteer jobs give me hours towards my nursing license. Unfortunately the charts had already been dealt with.

Originally Posted by tierre0

That is such a let-down after you were so enthusiastic about getting in there and getting started..
Fingers-crossed things go more smoothly for you Friday..
I hope so. The insurance company was not impressed that they went and rebooked training again for Friday because not everyone involved in this work trial can go on Friday.

Originally Posted by butzie

I'd have chocolate and champagne. Do they have glue remover?
I wish! I think she is just really insecure and scared.

I guessed from listening to her and observing her last Thursday that she has been off work due to a mental disorder.

Today during our extended coffee/lunch she mentioned having to attend some schizophrenia group thing. I had no idea what she was talking about and asked her if it was part of her volunteer stuff to earn hours towards her license. She said no, that it was part of her rehab program and went on to say that she has been in and out of psych hospitals a number of times over an 18 month period.

So I guess she has schizophrenia, plus she has anxiety and stress issues. The training on Thursday was really difficult for her because she couldn't concentrate and was getting really lost. I felt badly for her because at one point I thought she was going to cry

Nursing is a very high stress job so the insurance company is at a loss as to what to do about her because she can't return to bedside nursing not only because of the stress but she's on so many medications right now that she's pretty much a space cadet at this point.

They were talking about her getting on an IV team where you just go and insert IVs, but that is only if there is a position available, and where she would be able to work would be limited because the only place that has a special IV team is the Health Sciences Centre. All of the other hospitals require the nurses to do their own IVs.

I suggested that community nursing might be something for her to look into. Such as VON where you go into someone's home and do a dressing, or set up their pills, monitor their blood pressure etc.

But in order to get hired anywhere she would have to pass a mental health exam and she said she's failed 2 of them.

Originally Posted by GailC

The elevator problems would have really peeved me off!!
Then to add to the hospital training being cancelled for the next couple of days and the taxi ride.Grrrr.......

And the chatty girl-I would have been ready to blow!!

I hope you are feeling better now.
Thanks! I think the elevators were the most aggravating thing! I don't usually take my trash out before I go out. Today I'm glad that I did because if I had left when I normally would have (8:15), I would have missed my ride, gotten billed for a "no show" from the transit company, and it would have looked bad in the eyes of the insurance company too.

On Friday I plan on telling a white lie and saying that I need to go and make some phone calls and that I will meet her in the cafeteria and then not show up. The hospital is huge, I could go and get myself lost and read and have my lunch in a quiet setting.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I as going to say that the girl was either really scared and that was the reason for her endless chatter, or she was emotionally/mentally unstable. It looks as if my guess was confirmed.

I sure hope you have a better day tomorrow, Linda!
Going back to work is never what you think it will be..

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
gah that sounds like a shite day
i'm sorry things got off to a bad start hopefully everything will go better for you and some people are attracted to smart confident people just think of it that way!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

(used cat litter is heavy),
Yea, no joke its seems one can of cat food= 3 pounds out the other end

Oh, and to top it off that one girl who did show up was stuck to me like glue.
did you try hissing at her? it seems to work when heyu hiss at eazy.

Hope the next time goes better,

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you had a bad day
Hopefully tomorrow will be much better for you!!!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The day didn't start off with a bang and it seemed intent on going downhill very fast.
I feel sorry for that girl but she is not your responsibility. Is there anyway you could just tell her that you have other obligations and you will catch her later?

She may take it upon herself to look for you if you don't show up and she may actually find you since she is familiar with the hospital.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

The day didn't start off with a bang and it seemed intent on going downhill very fast.
I feel sorry for that girl but she is not your responsibility. Is there anyway you could just tell her that you have other obligations and you will catch her later?

She may take it upon herself to look for you if you don't show up and she may actually find you since she is familiar with the hospital.
It's a big hospital. It is comprised of several separate buildings all connected via under ground tunnel system, encompasses several blocks and employs over 7,000 people. So even if she does know it well, it's easy to get lost inside it.

http://www.hsc.mb.ca/info_booth.htm

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's a big hospital. It is comprised of several separate buildings all connected via under ground tunnel system, encompasses several blocks and employs over 7,000 people. So even if she does know it well, it's easy to get lost inside it.

http://www.hsc.mb.ca/info_booth.htm
Looks like you are going to have some quality time to yourself.
That is one large hospital.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

Looks like you are going to have some quality time to yourself.
That is one large hospital.
It is huge! I believe they are also breaking ground on a 19 story hotel that will connect to the hospital. I think the plan is to have a portion of it set aside for families from out of town and need a place to stay close to the hospital. There is so much land around there that has been expropriated for that hospital. But yeah, I don't anticipate a problem getting myself lost in there.