Does anyone elses cat launch themself at you?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm at my study desk working away, and all of a sudden Smudge leaped up from the floor to land on my back/shoulder!! I didn't even know she was in the room! To have this heavy lump attach itself by her claws to my back with no notice made me almost leap out of my skin. I didn't think she could even jump that high!

She eventually settled in my lap, kneading away, and rubbing her face against my chin - apparently she wanted some love...

She always tries to jump on our back/shoulder when we least expect it (or she jumps on visitors which is even more unexpected for them!).

Anyone else have cats launch themselves at you at inopportune times?

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!!

Although, Mitzi doesn't launch herself at me for love and attention, she does it to attack me

I cannot tell you how many bites I get on my arms hands feet and legs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I just get claw marks down our back and neck

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moose hasn't done it lately (thank goodness), but he used to come flying out of nowhere aiming for my head. It wasn't malicious, but with the claws retracted, it was painful!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Mr. Underfoot does this too.

When he was younger he would take a flying leap into my arms or onto my shoulders when I walked in the door, ready or not! Now that he's getting arthritis he can't jump as high now, but he still jumps onto my back and/or shoulders when I won't let him on my lap because I'm working on something. He also does it if I bend over and he's on a chair or other high surface. He just loves to be held, and refuses to take 'not right now' for an answer. He's the one whose nails get trimmed most often.

Enjoy your love monkey and keep her nails trimmed!

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my little boy will jump on the back of my chair and start playing with my hair..not too bad until the claws come out..then its..ow kitty..cut that out.
and he's purring when he does it.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistressotdark

my little boy will jump on the back of my chair and start playing with my hair..not too bad until the claws come out..then its..ow kitty..cut that out.
and he's purring when he does it.
Well, of course he's purring! He loves that funny fur you have.

Butzie has never jumped on me. She is not really a lap cat or a "let me hold you, Butzie," cat. I don't know if that is because some cats don't like to be held or carried or whether something happened at her prior owners (and, yes, even though I got her at the shelter, she was a well-cared for cat used to people).

If she wants my attention, she will either grab me leg with her paws. If I am at the computer or in bed, she will stand up and put her paws on me or the chair/bed.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Madam "Rubbage" Molly. She head butts me incessantly....she'll rub back & forth & back & forth on my back/shoulders/head while I'm sitting up to the computer. She went for 15 minutes doing that once.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness no!

Chynna used to when she was younger, but while she's a spry 16 year old, she isn't that spry! And Abby would only jump on my lap when I was expecting it. Now she just prefers to jump onto the chair next to me and cuddle against my leg which I usually have resting on the chair.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Flower launches and climbs up me she likes to sit on my shoulder and play with my hair. She does it to my boy friend too. When she was tiny she would jump up on a shoulder and we would take her outside with us when we took the pup out. Now that she is bigger it makes it harder to do but she makes it work

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm now no. My old cat would take flying leaps at me, i swear she would wait until you had a paper or book in front of your face, then just attack me

she also would pin her ears back and hiss at me, then come running jump and lick my arm or chin to death.(more then one person thought she was going to bite me)

manhunter666

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Figo jumps on my shoulders while I'm busy at the kitchen sink. He makes a churrpy sound before jumping, considerate kitty, and just sits across my shoulders, watching with amazement at what I'm doing - albeit if I'm washing up greasy plates!! Sometimes he plays with the tassles of my hoodie and has a thorough sniff of my ears, coupled with a few licks!! Silly boy