School Starts Today

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first class since 1993 is this afternoon. Intro to Sociology 1, which will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Monday and Wednesdays I have Basic Algebra 1. Also on Mondays (after Algebra) I have History of World Civilizations 1. The long quest for my history degree has begun. I'll try not to beat up on the professors too bad.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sis just left to head to campus. She starts her final semester to earn a degree she has been working on since 1965! (She took a hiatus to get married, raise a family, and have a few careers.)

And be nice to the profs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have 57 pages to read by Thursday afternoon, as well some note raking to do.

Gemlady, tell your sister good luck! I think it's great that she's just about finished.

I was nice to the prof today. Actually, this seems like a rather interesting class. When we were getting started we had to introduce ourselves and say why we wanted to take the class. I said that since I'm a history major I wanted to learn more about how major events in history impacted society. She (the prof) said that Sociology 2 gets into more detail involving economics, politics, government, etc., so I'll end up taking that class, too. This one is just an introduction.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little late on this, but good luck!

My boyfriend's going back to school for the first time in 6 years. He's just taking his basic math and english to start, but it's going to be hard for him. He's the type who gets frustrated real easy, so hopefully he won't get to down on himself if he doesn't understand something. His first class is Thursday night, and I know he's nervous. He's aiming for a degree in computers I think.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

My first class since 1993 is this afternoon. Intro to Sociology 1, which will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Monday and Wednesdays I have Basic Algebra 1. Also on Mondays (after Algebra) I have History of World Civilizations 1. The long quest for my history degree has begun. I'll try not to beat up on the professors too bad.
lol just remember that most of them are far left.
no fighting with the teachers(or you may get tossed out of the class,Yea well i happend to me twice)

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Congratulations!
So how was your first day of school?

I was officially back at school as well today, but since I had no classes, the real back to school is tomorrow. After a year off, I am going back to do my Masters in History

I am taking one class and also working on my thesis already. And if that wasn't scary enough... I will be teaching!
I am leading two seminars for first year history students to show them how to interpret historical documents (at least that is my understanding... my orientation session is tomorrow)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

I'm a little late on this, but good luck!

My boyfriend's going back to school for the first time in 6 years. He's just taking his basic math and english to start, but it's going to be hard for him. He's the type who gets frustrated real easy, so hopefully he won't get to down on himself if he doesn't understand something. His first class is Thursday night, and I know he's nervous. He's aiming for a degree in computers I think.
Thanks.

He'll be fine as long as he gets help when he doesn't understand something. Math isn't strong suit of mine, I'm going to ask the prof every time I don't understand something. I don't want to get left behind trying to figure it out while the rest of the class moves ahead. Getting a tutor is always an option.

Originally Posted by theimp98

lol just remember that most of them are far left.
no fighting with the teachers(or you may get tossed out of the class,Yea well i happend to me twice)
Nah, I'm going to call you and let you fight with them.
I thought it was cool that my sociology professor said that she doesn't want us agreeing with her all of the time. She encourages differing views as long as they are presented respectfully.

Originally Posted by marie-p

Congratulations! So how was your first day of school?

I was officially back at school as well today, but since I had no classes, the real back to school is tomorrow. After a year off, I am going back to do my Masters in History
I am taking one class and also working on my thesis already. And if that wasn't scary enough... I will be teaching! I am leading two seminars for first year history students to show them how to interpret historical documents (at least that is my understanding... my orientation session is tomorrow)
Good luck in your pursuit of a masters, that's my goal but one thing at a time. History is a great subject. I wish I would have started this a couple of years ago. Best of luck with the teaching!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it's really weird but this year for some reason I had a really big urge to go back to school and I have no idea why :| lol

i'm thinking about looking through the classes they teach and maybe going back next year

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck to all of the other students! School can be a big challenge, but it can be very rewarding, too.

I started school up again last week. I work full time and also take a full time course load, so it can be very challenging for me to budget my homework time. I know that I am going to have to make an extra effort this semester, because I was up until 4:00 am last night and 3:00 am the night before, just getting homework done.

I am taking an English composition class, an Astronomy class, a Financial Accounting class, and an Algebra class.
All of them have a LOT of homework. I should have been more careful about spreading out the homework heavy classes throughout my semesters, I think. Staying up that late and having to be at work at 8:00 am kills me.

I am going to be homeworking it up all weekend from now on!

So anyway, if anyone needs any sympathy or advice, I am here! I know how tough it can be to juggle school and all of the other aspects of life, especially if you are going back to school after some years off. I am 25. I have been in college for about two years now, but it had been five years since high school!

It is tough, but often very rewarding and fun. Have a great semester everyone!!!