One year or three year vaccines?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our kitties have 3 year rabies and FVRCP vaccinations, which are done at the shelter I volunteer at, and I just went to a new vet recently who said they do the one year vaccines now (I can't remember if that was only for rabies, or for both).

Apparently the component of the vaccine that makes it last longer can cause problems in cats, so the vet is now only using the one year vaccines.

Anyone got opinions on this? My cats get yearly check ups anyway, so if they have to get shots at the same time, it's no big deal.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Our kitties have 3 year rabies and FVRCP vaccinations, which are done at the shelter I volunteer at, and I just went to a new vet recently who said they do the one year vaccines now (I can't remember if that was only for rabies, or for both).

Apparently the component of the vaccine that makes it last longer can cause problems in cats, so the vet is now only using the one year vaccines.

Anyone got opinions on this? My cats get yearly check ups anyway, so if they have to get shots at the same time, it's no big deal.
I am not even aware of three years vaccines. You don't suppose it is because my vet can make three times as much money do you?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will depend on the vet. You can always do a titer test to determine if your cat needs a booster shot or not.

My cats get yearly shots. The shelter requires it to foster, & I have also had foster kitties die from distemper at my house (both this year & last year). They get the distemper combo & rabies shots. Rabies is 3 years, distemper yearly.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

It will depend on the vet. You can always do a titer test to determine if your cat needs a booster shot or not.

My cats get yearly shots. The shelter requires it to foster, & I have also had foster kitties die from distemper at my house (both this year & last year). They get the distemper combo & rabies shots. Rabies is 3 years, distemper yearly.
I have to agree .. my vet does the three yr for both because she could not find real convincing research that the new one yr is truely safer ...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been doing the yearly because I didn't know any better. Now that I do, I know to ask for it when I make the appointment for their annual check ups. My older girl only gets the rabies shot anyway. My younger girl gets all of them, which may change to only rabies as well.

Stephanie

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all turned 1 this year and got their boosters, they won't get another for 2-3 years but will still go in for a yearly checkup.