How do you teach an orphan kitten to not bite HARD ?

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is 5 weeks old and is very sweet but bites us VERY hard. It's obvious she doesn't know it hurts us. I know kittens are supposed to learn how to not bite too hard from their litter mates, is there any way I can teach her?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
don't know if you're doing this, but if you're playing with her using your hands, stop. if she bites - what i did with all of mine was, i tapped their noses firmly with a finger & said 'no' in a stern voice.
my only biter is Chip - adopted him as an adult. he's also declawed. Pixel is declawed as well, but she doesn't bite - i raised her from kittenhood, tho.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I had this problem with Lucy as she was separated from her mother at 6 weeks. I found that I would discourage her if I said ouch loudly and then ignored her for a couple of minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, we don't play with her with our hands, she will just bite us all over our faces, hands when we are petting her, arms, wherever. We have had her since she was 11 days old. I will try the nose tapping thing.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

Thanks, we don't play with her with our hands, she will just bite us all over our faces, hands when we are petting her, arms, wherever.
Then it may be over stimulation. You should start timing your petting/playing sessions with her. Stop before you sense she will start to bite.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, she will just climb up on us and bite us. Even if we aren't playing with or petting her at the time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bite her back

But use "cat language" - loud hissing at her. Hissing means "back off" and you are angry. Also add in a loud OUCH or NO with it.

kimbo399

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Bite her back

But use "cat language" - loud hissing at her. Hissing means "back off" and you are angry. Also add in a loud OUCH or NO with it.
If hissing means "back off" what does growling mean?

Thanks,
Kim

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tapping the nose already seems to be working, thanks

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

tapping the nose already seems to be working, thanks
Good. I tap my Renzo the runty who was trying to bite. He is teething and my thumbs must have looked juicy to him. The tapping does work though.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Teddy was an orphan at an early age too. He's really stubborn and nothing really worked. He bit a lot and I did everything that everyone has mentioned and it didn't really worked. I started to get nervous when he was almost 5 months old and still did it because I didn't want people to think he was vicious. Teddy just didn't know any better. I decided for me it was better to get another kitten for him to play with. After I got Milo, Teddy found out that biting hurts and has turned completely around.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do have an older kitten for her to play with but I don't know if shes big enough to play with him yet, he is 10 months old.